Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Problem, caliper rubbing on new rotor

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem, caliper rubbing on new rotor

About 2 weeks ago I changed my pads and rotors, I did the whole break in process per the instructions that came with the rotors. Everything was fine until the rotors started showing their wear marks from the pads, I started noticing that one of my rotors was showing some unusual wear almost like there was something stuck in the pad and this is only after 200 miles, here's a pic:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/xska55...e2.jpg&.src=ph

Well I finally saw what was rubbing and it was part of the caliper, so now im like WTF! was this happening with the stock pads and rotors? I couldnt even tell you because I threw them out the day I installed the new parts. But come to think of it Im pretty sure I would've notice something like that right way especially after pulling them off and having them right my face.
Im gonna pull it off tommorow to see whats going on but I just wanted to know if anybody else ever ran into this problem.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you use both sets of shims when you put the pads on?

I think I have the same issue and I also have the project MU pads... They are a decent pad for the price by they've ruined my stock rotors
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

that's weird, no part of your caliper should ever touch your rotor. Even if your pads are severly worn, the backing surface of the pad should always touch before the caliper/piston. It sounds like either the rotors are the wrong offset for the stock calipers, or the brake pads have the wrong shape. I would give the guys at Project mu a call about this.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

You're correct. Disregard my question about the shims.. this shouldn't matter.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 01:13 PM

I havent heard any loud grinding coming from there when I press on the brakes so caliper must be hitting it just enough to make that mark, either way Ill call both Project mu and Powerslot and send them the pic after I take it off tommorow to make sure it wasnt an error on my part.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Make sure that your rotor is properly seated on the hub. Also check the caliper to make sure it is seated properly and that the bolts are tightened all the way. Are you getting a vibration when braking or while driving at highway speeds?
Old Feb 17, 2006, 01:36 PM
Account Disabled

You should check the inner caliper clearance before you take it off. I would like to see that.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 01:21 PM

well I just got done with the car a lil while i ago and i still cant figure it out. Before I even took any apart, besides taking off the wheel I took a piece of a paper and tried to pass it through the area I pointed to in that picture. It didnt want slide in. The inner caliper was fine it had plenty of clearance so i started moving around the rotor with my hands I also hit the center of the rotor with with the tire iron. After a few minutes of that I could finally pass the piece of paper through with my hand holding the rotor against the hub tight as if the wheel on. I took the caliper off any way to see if it was anything behind the mounting points that was causing the problem and i didnt see any problem.
So now it has a little bit more clearance now, I can actually pass a piece of paper through there. The drivers side looks tight too but I swipe 2 pieces of paper though the same area on the caliper with now problem.
I guess my last resort is to start making some phone calls to Powerslot and Project mu. Im leaning towards the rotor though, I think I must have got a defective rotor its probaly a couple mm. to thick on wheel side of the rotor.
ill keep you updated
Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2006, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

DId you have a lot of rust under the hub? If so use a wirebrush to clean it of, that might help fitting the rotor better.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 03:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
damn dangerous....