Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

06 MR stock spring rates

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2006, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 MR stock spring rates

Anyone know the stock spring rates of the 06 mr?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

anyone know???
Old Mar 22, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

bump?
Old Mar 23, 2006, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Same as the 05 MR which in turn is the same as the stock EVO spring rates.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Source? I know damper rates are different, but the two cars DO NOT feel the same as far as roll stiffness.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Best Motoring DVD ... the difference is because of the dampers ... how to you explain the EVO which has soft spring rates than the STi having a stiffer and harsher ride? It's because of the dampers ...

On the other hand, who knows I might be completely off ...

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Mar 23, 2006 at 12:25 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Best Motoring DVD ... the difference is because of the dampers ... how to you explain the EVO which has soft spring rates than the STi having a stiffer and harsher ride? It's because of the dampers ...

On the other hand, who knows I might be completely off ...
Its funny that you mentioned the BMI EVO vid. I watched this last night and was amazed to watch the GTR N1 get beat by a stock MR. However back to the subject at hand. I had been talking about the difference between the MR and a GSR. The JDM and Euro cars are alledged to have stiffer springs (in the MR) than the US version. A softer damper would NOT MAKE the car act stiffer with a soft spring. That is counter intuitive. So once more I will ask, Source?
Old Mar 23, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

As I said BMI, its the Factory fighters episode. They show the differences between the EVO 7, 8 and MR dampeners. And yes dampers do make the car act stiffer ... I'ld rather not get into a technical debate but ask anyone with coilovers that have different dampener setting for the track and the street ...

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Mar 24, 2006 at 06:08 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
A softer damper would NOT MAKE the car act stiffer with a soft spring. That is counter intuitive.
Technical discussion to ensue, please. Explain to me why my stiff rate springs and stiffly valved coilovers feel stiff. Explain why when I adjust the damping rate on my mountain bike shock it directly affects how it feels (i.e. SOFT valving feels soft versus the HARD feeling stiff).

Actually damper or dampner are both acceptable english.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Mar 24, 2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Argh! didn't I tell you I didn't want to get into a technical discussion ...

Ok, in an ideal world springs would do exactly what springs are supposed to do, absorb bumps and dampeners (shocks) would do exactly what dampners are supposed to do, absorb the oscillations of springs (aka dampen). But in the real world, this same device that provides dampening has to provide a force that resists the motion of the spring. Without getting into the specific types and designs of dampener (really I don't want to get into too much technical detail as I will be typing forever), dampener are pistons with valves that sit in tubes filled with oil and compressed air. These shock settings in adjustable dampener control the size of the valve which determine the rate of flow of oil through the piston when a certain value of force is applied to the piston.

As you can see the size of the valve controls the rate of flow, which in turn controls the resistance/stiffness ... go too soft with the dampening rate with a stiff spring and your car will continue to bouncy as if you had no dampeners, go too stiff with the dampening rate with a soft spring and the dampener will take on some of the role of the spring (aka EVO GSR and RS) and there might be a delayed reaction by your suspension if your dampeners are a lot stiffer than the springs. Remember there is alway a certain range where you can play with your dampener settings to match the spring rate you have chosen without getting the delayed reaction which will make your car unpredictable = bad.
As you can see because of the nature and design of the shocks them selves they act as helper springs.

Hope that helps

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Mar 24, 2006 at 06:08 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, I understand that 05 & 06 MR's are the same spec but why than why do Works, Swift and few other Companies offer MR specific springs? And when I spoke to Japan parts -Japan- concerning Raliart springs for my MR I was told that they were just available for the KYB spec Evo's and not the MR spec. I'd like to think that Mitsu actually did just a little more than R&D W/Bilstein just to slap a stock US spec Evo spring into it in the end.

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Same as the 05 MR which in turn is the same as the stock EVO spring rates.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

MR shocks are 30% less stiff but react quicker to bumps in the road. Springs are the same vs. non MR.

MR specific springs are designed to work with the Bilstein design and capability...at least the ones from Swift are, its what Im running.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

This is because as springs have a dampener range they can be used with, without going over the limit and deteriorating handling. Likewise dampeners have a spring range they can be used with them, since the stock EVO (GSR, RS) dampers are ~42% stiffer than the MR dampeners (its the same as saying the MR dampeners are 30% softer, yes math is weird) the range of spring rate that can be used with the bilstein dampeners are lower (different). Therefore if a manufacture designs a spring for the stock GSR/RS dampener using the upper range of the dampener it will be far above and out of the range of the bilsteins.

I noticed my spelling sucks ...
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, got you on all that Worst playa, but...what is the actual spring rate?
Old Jan 1, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dapaspy
Ok, got you on all that Worst playa, but...what is the actual spring rate?
Bump for the same answer!

Quick Reply: 06 MR stock spring rates