Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Kumho Ecsta V710 Follow-up/Review

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2006, 02:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how the hell do u get a tire up...i figured the car would understeer be4 that happened...

how long does it stay up for
how fast are you going give or take
is that a bad ticket lol...i wanna go do it now
how much is the steering turned
does it happen everytime or kinda a gamble if the tires hook up...

Last edited by 4WS Tuning; Feb 27, 2006 at 02:49 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 04:34 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Turd Squirter
Looks fun dude. A stiffer rear sway bar and you'll be tossing that MR around effortlessly.
As Mark Daddio has pointed out, if you're lifting the inside rear a stiffer rear sway bar isn't going to do anything. Sway bars introduce left-right coupling. A wheel hanging in the air doesn't provide much to couple to! To transfer more roll resistance to the rear requires a higher spring rate or a change in suspension geometry.

The take-home message here is good driving on stock Evo suspension is hard to beat.

Dave
Old Feb 27, 2006, 04:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scorke
Awesome job warr, keep it up!!!!! Nothing like making slowpokes of guys in race cars in your "stock" looking 4 door. To give other people an idea, I am pretty sure the subaru that won SM last year at the ATL regional was on 285 hoosiers, so for warr to go out and do this on his relatively mild rubber is very impressive.

Scorke
Sam, that was an ESP car, not SM.

As for stock body roll, see below, haha. Yeah, it was almost scraping on stock suspension, and yes, it's 3 wheeling uphill.

Devin
Old Feb 27, 2006, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
how the hell do u get a tire up...i figured the car would understeer be4 that happened...

how long does it stay up for
how fast are you going give or take
is that a bad ticket lol...i wanna go do it now
how much is the steering turned
does it happen everytime or kinda a gamble if the tires hook up...
Actually, that's a pretty good observation for someone who hasn't autocrossed his Evo yet. You're right that NORMALLY under those conditions, the car would push, but that's the beauty of these Ecsta V710s. Instead of pushing like I used to on my stock tires or even on my Ecsta V700s, they gripped and lifted my inner rear tire due to the extreme grip of the front tires.

I don't know how long I was staying in the air, but people kept coming over after everyone and just babbling on about having one tire in the air almost the entire time and having it WAYYYY off the ground. Most of the time, it was at low speed, but I apparently also did it 3 times in the offsets as they called them. These were full-speed, 2nd gear WOT pulls around what look like long esses. I was able to navigate them at WOT, so you know the car was gripping hard.

Do not try it on your Evo in the street with street tires. You will push straight through the turn. Yes, it happened everytime I made a hard turn like that during the auto-x, but I didn't get to see it myself.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Ok, so last week, I showed my new V710s and ask for some advice on how to set them up, and this is what I ended up doing:

- Mounted/balanced 245/45R17 Ecsta V710s on my stock 17X8 MR BBS rims
- 38psi Front, 33psi Rear (cold)
- Set stock suspension to -2.0f/-0.5r with 0 toe all around
- No springs, sways, bushings or anything

Do I read this correctly? Camber of 2.0 in the front with a stock setup?
Old Feb 27, 2006, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Yes. I got exactly -2.0 on both fronts with the stock eccentric bolts. I didn't know I could do it until I was told by one of the hardcore SM autocrossers in the DC area. The specs are his suggestion, and they worked beautifully.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

You can definitely get the tire up with the stock Advan's too but probably isn't as easy to do. I did it the first time I raced Solo 2 with the EVO. My friends said that it was six inches off the ground at one point (I think they were exaggerating but they swore it was.) Needless to say my parents were there and my Dad said he is too old to watch me do that. They wont' watch me race the EVO Solo 2 anymore

Old Feb 27, 2006, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Try putting some slight toe out in the rear, it will help rotate the car on tight turns instead of wiggling in the air that much. Considering how much front grip you have you may be able to get some throttle lift drifting going
Old Feb 27, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by voidhawk
Try putting some slight toe out in the rear, it will help rotate the car on tight turns instead of wiggling in the air that much. Considering how much front grip you have you may be able to get some throttle lift drifting going
Hmm, you think? Filip, the guy who gave me these specs to try actually said that I might want to try 1/16th toe out, but I just did 0 to be safe. You think that bit of toe out would make a difference in this case?
Old Feb 27, 2006, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Not that my knowledge of suspension even compares to what Mark Daddiao knows, but I think a rear sway bar would help Warrltalon with his current suspension. An adjustable sway bar could help him induce oversteer to get rid of the push. Of course higher spring rates and a nice coilover setup is next for you with the power you are putting down. With 275/40/17, good coilovers and your car properly corner balanced and set, you would be hard to beat. Basically, exactly how I'm setting mine up. I just need the skilled person like John Mueller to help me out with that, not happening on the east coast though. Even with my car set up wrong, not corner balanced and probably not running an ideal height with Zeal Function V6 coil overs, I run very competitive every time out against stout competition. Also, your car with the boost turned up puts you in SM and so does the Dynoflash. I know this because I'm in that class.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

I think boost and ECU tuning is allowed in BSP. I know they added boost control this year, but I don't know all the tuning restrictions.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Yes. I got exactly -2.0 on both fronts with the stock eccentric bolts. I didn't know I could do it until I was told by one of the hardcore SM autocrossers in the DC area. The specs are his suggestion, and they worked beautifully.
Yea I think the bilsteins allow more than the normal evo's suspension. I was also able to get -2.0 up front back when I still ran the bilsteins.

My car buddies with non-MR evos couldn't get that much negative camber stock for some reason.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Yea I think the bilsteins allow more than the normal evo's suspension. I was also able to get -2.0 up front back when I still ran the bilsteins.

My car buddies with non-MR evos couldn't get that much negative camber stock for some reason.
Hmm, I didn't think of that. When I was given the specs, I was actually told to get the camber set as close to -2.0 as possible, but that I'd likely only get -1.7 or so. He had an 03, so maybe that's why. Would there be any reason to go further than -2.0 if the Bilsteins allowed for it?
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Hmm, I didn't think of that. When I was given the specs, I was actually told to get the camber set as close to -2.0 as possible, but that I'd likely only get -1.7 or so. He had an 03, so maybe that's why. Would there be any reason to go further than -2.0 if the Bilsteins allowed for it?
I maxed out at -2.0 with the bilsteins.

More camber is always good, espically with your r-compounds. -2.0 is only the beginning.

I currently run -2.9 with Toyo RA1s, but my car is setup for open-track. I would run some more negative camber with the RA1s but I daily drive the car as well.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Ha, well I went from -1.0/-0.7 to -2.0/-2.0, so it's quite a difference! I'm happy with where I am - I've only driven on this setup once, so I'm sure there is much to learn.

Quick Reply: Kumho Ecsta V710 Follow-up/Review