Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Kumho Ecsta V710 Follow-up/Review

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kumho Ecsta V710 Follow-up/Review

Review: Kumho Ecsta V710 R-compound tires

Last edited by Warrtalon; Sep 29, 2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

Um....body roll anyone?

People kept coming up and talking to me about all the tripods and how cool they looked. Apparently, I had my inside rear tire several inches off the ground multiple times during each run. Everyone loved it, but I didn't think that was a good thing. Maybe it makes for a good show, hah.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 01:37 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks fun dude. A stiffer rear sway bar and you'll be tossing that MR around effortlessly.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

Nice...too bad the shot's a little blurry.

Looks like the red shirt in the background is scratching his head. Maybe he's wondering how that big 4-door is tripod'n like a VW GTI.

How did the 710s wear for the day?
Old Feb 26, 2006, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Killboy
Nice...too bad the shot's a little blurry.

Looks like the red shirt in the background is scratching his head. Maybe he's wondering how that big 4-door is tripod'n like a VW GTI.

How did the 710s wear for the day?
Yeah, that was the same comment from the guy who took the photo. He posted it up on RMSOLO.org and said "Too bad this shot was blurry!!!!" I took that to mean it was a cool shot, since it shows a nice tripod.

Hmm, not sure on the wear. I should go look. I had to rush afterwards to put the car back together and zoom home for a dinner party, so all of my gear is still stuffed in the car. I haven't paid attention to the tires yet, but I'm not sure I'd know how the wear was just by looking with my untrained eye. There are some little holes in the tires that I assumed were wear indicators, but I'm not sure.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Yep, the holes are wear indicators. Did you buy the tires already heat cycled?

EVOlutionary
Old Feb 26, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary

EVOlutionary
No.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great to see you took 1st and the tires are working out for you. I will probably be getting a set myself or run RA-1's daily. Do you get to beat up on any Cobras then?
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

tripoding is what stock suspension evos do best

Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DragNRacing
Great to see you took 1st and the tires are working out for you. I will probably be getting a set myself or run RA-1's daily. Do you get to beat up on any Cobras then?
Cobras? Not sure if you're referring to the Cobra thread in the Drag forum, but actually there was an 03 Cobra with 4-wheel Hoosier slicks in SM class. I beat him by 6-7s or so. He had no chance...still too much power for his slicks.

However, there was a previous gen Cobra vert with big-*** rims and slicks that beat me by about .8s (48.0x). He was in the big-boy class running against the top 4-5 cars (built C5, built M3, built RX-7, etc).
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nick735
tripoding is what stock suspension evos do best

Haha, that's exactly what I looked like all day. I had no idea our opposite side got that close to the ground.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Cobras? Not sure if you're referring to the Cobra thread in the Drag forum, but actually there was an 03 Cobra with 4-wheel Hoosier slicks in SM class. I beat him by 6-7s or so. He had no chance...still too much power for his slicks.

However, there was a previous gen Cobra vert with big-*** rims and slicks that beat me by about .8s (48.0x). He was in the big-boy class running against the top 4-5 cars (built C5, built M3, built RX-7, etc).
Yes, had to bring it up because I knew you would spank them in the same class.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome job warr, keep it up!!!!! Nothing like making slowpokes of guys in race cars in your "stock" looking 4 door. To give other people an idea, I am pretty sure the subaru that won SM last year at the ATL regional was on 285 hoosiers, so for warr to go out and do this on his relatively mild rubber is very impressive.

Scorke
Old Feb 26, 2006, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary

EVOlutionary
No.
Just FYI for future reference. It is recommended to either purchase them heat cycled or to heat cycle them yourself before actually racing on them. The way you broke them in may very well affect their performance and lifespan (decrease both). See here for more info: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=66

Congratulations on the great times! I got into AX a year and a half ago and got bit by the bug. I'm investing alot of time and money into it this year. It's addictive for sure.

EVOlutionary
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

So 3-wheelin'...it's my understanding that it's not necessarily a bad thing, it shows that your front is getting plenty of traction and all, but the time it takes for your car to transition to that state makes for a setup not well suited for tight tracks with quick switchbacks. (like auto-x) It's better suited for open racetracks.

I believe that if you settle the back end with stiffer sway bars and/or coilovers, your steering response will be quicker, but you may sacrifice a little rear traction. That can be a good thing also though, because on a tight track you can use a little tail drift to point you into the turn, allowing you to "square it up" and get on the gas sooner.

I may be wrong, but that's my understanding and it seems to work well for my driving evironment. (very tight, rapid turns)

Quick Reply: Kumho Ecsta V710 Follow-up/Review