Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: Which Suspension Setup?...DMS 50 - Ohlins RT - ??????
DMS 50
29.20%
Ohlins RT
55.75%
Other
15.04%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Ohlins or DMS 50

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2006, 03:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
uhm... it affects the damping rate right? you have the valve which lets oil through but there is also pressure on the oil, which i would guess acts as a spring rate, and you want the spring to oscillate critically (less than one oscillation).

i would further guess that a certain sized or shape or geometry of valving would suit a certain range of speeds for damping but the fine tuning is accomplished by pressurizing the oil or depressurizing it. caivitation being a very critical bound on which pressures can be run, which would of course have to coincide with the valving.

so i guess in short you'd valve to opperate within a pressure range where the gases/oil won't boil even under the worst conditions and then you fine tune pressures to suck up the spring rate at differing speeds.

of course it's gotta be more involved as the valving has to be in the right spot cuz it's not simply about running a certian gas pressure because the valve does most of the damping work.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 08:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMS_Mark
Good advice john, and Chrono do you want me to list your questions by
A) STATE
B) Country
C) Continenant ?

There are 100's and 100's of tests and valving changes we have done on all of our models, that is how we arrived at something that the majority of people are happy with.

-mark
Your choice, I would just like honest answers sometime

also please remember the context; tests DMS USA has actually done themselves (not a seperate team or driver giving feedback) on US road race courses (or test tracks). I want to know what sort of knowledge base you are coming from when you state I am full of B.S. (and I still want you to tell me why).
Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:09 PM
Account Disabled

Ohlins

Okay, so here is the deal with Öhlins. We are THE ONLY authorized Öhlins service station in the western United States. We have gone through the proper training to sell, support, rebuild, and re-valve Öhlins suspension. The Single adjustable dampers are actually 4 way adjustable. We can adjust both high-speed and low speed bump and rebound, in house! The adjustment knob you will be left to play with is the rebound knob. Everything else is adjusted internally. We can get you close to what you need as far as valving goes. But to truly get ideal valving for any damper, you need to have extensive testing and r&d on one vehicle and one setup and one track and one driver. What is recommended is that we can get you very close to what you need and we will leave you with rebound adjustments for you to fine tune your setup.

As far as the damper itself, Öhlins makes specific dampers designed for track, road, and different rally situations. As far as I know, the DMS product is very nice and durable, but it is just a rally shock modified to work on the street. I am the suspension engineer for two EVO's, one of them on Öhlins, and one of them on DMS'. From my experience, the Öhlins are much better fitted for road and track use. And the Öhlins Group N stuff is by far superior to ANY product out by ANY company for rally.

As far as remote reservoir is concerned, Mark hit it right on the button! Also, I question an engineer that refers to shocks as dampeners! They are not designed to make anything wet, they are designed to damp forces, exerted by the vehicle, the road and the springs. Also working with Öhlins, I can tell you that a 600lb range of adjustment is questionable at best. It is difficult to get beyond a 200lb range.

As far as Moton goes, they are an awesome damper, but, they do not have the resources that Öhlins, and DMS have as far as making a damper work on an EVO.
Their basic geometry is not correct for the EVO, not yet at least.

If you want to go double adjustable, I would recommend the WORKS-Öhlins Stage 4. Double adjustable piggyback reservoir, with independent adjustability. And they are a very high quality piece. That is what we are running with our Time Attack Evo.

Unfortunately our last set of Öhlins left last week. We will be getting our next shipment mid June. If you would like to reserve your set of Öhlins, please give us a call and we will be more than happy to take your deposit and set a set aside for you.

Ali, WORKS Engineering

Last edited by kirk@WORKS; May 3, 2006 at 05:46 PM.
Old May 2, 2006, 08:34 PM
Former Sponsor

so this means a shock modified by a non-ohlins center has no warrenty? I know DMS is that way....
Old May 2, 2006, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

The only one on the west coast for all of the Ohlins products? Question what's the difference between Works-Ohlins Stage IV and these:

http://www.carrozzeriajapan.co.jp/ohlins/4w/flag-l.html
Old May 3, 2006, 11:30 AM

The big boys: Ohlins, Penske, Moton, JRZ, etc. are all user tunable and rebuildable, much like stand-alone management. Warranties on real race products really don't exist, it's the nature of the game. A fully built race engine doesn't come with a warranty because it's going to get the living crap beat out of it. You talk to your builder about specific uses and expected life.

The Ohlins Flag series is an upgraded version of the Road & Track. Internals are nearly identical. The difference is, the R&T adjusts both compression and rebound with the same adjuster. Flag's turn that into a rebound-only adjuster, but then add a reservoir and put the compression adjuster there. The R&T's have a high-speed compression blow off, called parallel compression valve (PCV), this is for hitting bumps and is internally tunable through changing shims. The Flag's add to this a compression and rebound high-speed blow off, called dual flow valve (DFV), tunable the same way. The Flag's also offer height adjustment that doesn't change the spring preload by threading the lower mounting bracket. Many other Japanese shocks do this too.

When choosing shocks, other than performance, you also need to look at build quality and reliability. I know from experience that the Ohlins don't fade over time, meaning damping levels drop significantly, unlike some of their competitors. They also don't rust, you'd be surprised how many high-end shocks rust and have to be replaced. Parts are also upgradable to those of the higher end units because Ohlins uses common sizes and designs among all their products so that most internals are interchangeable.
Old May 5, 2006, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

I won't try to deny the rusting, it sucks ***. Keeps the cost of the units down on the upside. The high end DMS are same type of treatment as all the big boys, more expense shock, more features, etc.

OHLINs and the DMS are on the same lines. The FLAG series is more equivalent to the 50mm, and the R&T the 40mm.

-mark
Old May 5, 2006, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[PHP]Question what's the difference between Works-Ohlins Stage IV and these:

I was wondering also myself because I found a set for $3328 and since knowone has any till later this year. It is a option.
Old May 5, 2006, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by value
[PHP]Question what's the difference between Works-Ohlins Stage IV and these:

I was wondering also myself because I found a set for $3328 and since knowone has any till later this year. It is a option.
the flag series in general is compared to the r&t series further up the thread. you saw that part, right? so it's a matter of figuring out what the works stage IV is based on, and they *look* identical to the flags which are pretty distintive), so that's most likely your answer- based on the flags, probably custom valved and sprung to order...

not claiming to know, just sleuthing...

g++
Old May 6, 2006, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

This Vendor use to stock Ohlins for the Evo, and not just for the STI.

http://www.racecompengineering.com/coilover.html
Old May 8, 2006, 07:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by South Side Evo
This Vendor use to stock Ohlins for the Evo, and not just for the STI.

http://www.racecompengineering.com/coilover.html
Thats us! Look for a completely redesigned website soon...

Also, look for a review of the Ohlins fixed perch dampers with Swift springs soon.....
Old May 8, 2006, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

I understand that they can be revalved or use different springs but why pay extra for camber plates when they are already made by Ohlins? [Edit] Forget it found some http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p37085125

Last edited by value; May 8, 2006 at 09:56 AM.
Old May 30, 2006, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Wow... this was an interesting thread!

Well if anyone cares... Ive made my decision!

Come back in exactly 10 days if youre curious of what I purchased ... I'll take pictures and post them here

Thanks for all your input!

talent
Old May 30, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

I have rear mounts for sale that work with the Ohlins
Old May 31, 2006, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoracerx
I have rear mounts for sale that work with the Ohlins
A reply to that will probably give away the suprise