Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Question regarding 2-piece "floating hat" rotors

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2003, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question regarding 2-piece "floating hat" rotors

Anyone have any info on upgrading the stock EVO VIII rotors to the better Brembo 2-piece "floating hat" design rotors? I know the top end Brembo kits come with these rotors, so it would only seem logical that they would be available as a rotor only purchase.The other question is where to source them and where to get the best price?

Anyone with any background on this?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Old Apr 4, 2003, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

There are some really good advantages to having a two piece rotors like waight savings, cooling and for racing quick changing. But on a street car it might be over kill. I sure in time there will be options for that, but you can contact Brembo.com (they have a 1800 number) and ask if they have anything. I wonder what they do in Japan??

Eric
Old Apr 4, 2003, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Claudius
I'm not aware of Brembo making OEM replacement discs with floating design, but they do make a brake kit that includes floating discs.

Other than that, floating discs are available for the Evo from Japanese parts importers.
Thanks for the feedback guys! I did leave a message with Brembo a while back and never got a return call.I will try them again. I know they have to sell just the rotor, otherwise how would you replace the rotor in the kit when the time came? I guess the issue will be fitment application though.

I would normally agree with the comment that the two piece rotors aren't important for the street. I always felt a little cheated with my NA BMW M cars 1piece rotors, but to be honest they worked super well....as well if not better than the Brembos on my EVO.

I did have some issues with my S4 brakes though, and it seems like I have read a few posts already alluding to problems with EVO rotor warp and brake judder. One FAQ site on the EVO even mentioned this as a common problem with EVO's over the past years. I guess I am thinking ahead.....just in case!

Again thanks for the feedback!