Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Evo sucks in the snow ! BAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2003, 11:39 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
I really don't want to argue about this, but snow tires are MUCH better than all-season in the snow. You don't need snow tires, but they make a world of difference. Of course, where you live and how familiar you are with driving in the snow make a world of difference too.

I've driven through more snow in my 8 years of driving than most people will see in their lifetime. I've driven my FWD corolla on A/S tires through 8-12" of standing snow no problem, but most people can't handle 2" with their AWD cars and trucks; and I managed one of the snowiest winters in indiana in a long time on worn out A/S tires with 2/32" of tread. So the driver obviously makes a difference, but snow tires make it so much easier. If I lived somewhere where snow was infrequent and melted right away, A/S would be the way to go. Chicago's roads tend to get cleared away a bit faster than some of the places I've lived, so that makes a big difference... The city I went to school in plowed my road twice a day and it was still covered with snow all the time.

Basically, if you forsee driving in the snow on a regular basis, snow tires rock. If you primarily drive through slush, A/S is the way to go.

OK, I'm rambling...
Old Apr 24, 2003, 01:40 PM
SRD
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no doubt, snow tires are the bomb...
i've raced on ice with Hakka Qs!

Unfortunately not many snow tires fit on the EVO, cause of the 17" dia wheels. Believe the 2 best are the Blizzak LM something, and the Nokian Hakka NRW or WR (believe the WR replaced the NRW).
The nokian is better that the Blizzak, in dry, wet, or snow.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

you don't need z rated for the winter, just get those frickin studded tires, or get different rims with 215 60 16 or 15, then the evo will rock in the snow
Old Apr 24, 2003, 02:25 PM
SRD
Evolving Member

dude 16" wheels don't fit., 15 definitely don't fit.

and the Nokian winter tires are not Z rated!
Nor is the Blizzak.