Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Yokohama Advan A046- What tire stands up to it?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg K
PS2's are great tires, but they do give up some grip on the A046's. I have 10k mile on my PS2's and they still have at least 50% life left. They have a softer sidewall and you can feel them "roll over" a bit in really hard cornering, but I can't complain. I upped my pressures to 39F-36R and have had nothing but good times.
Thanks Greg, that's good info. I saw one of your posts in another thread about the PS2s which was helpful.

My car is a daily driver and I don't get to push it often. How much of a difference in performance is there between the PS2 and 046?

Would you buy the PS2s again?

thx!
Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by value
Might also watch out for the new bridgestone RE-1, I think it's called? Coming out soon.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R is going to be stateside next month (April) and will be an "ultra high performance tire"-- not competition as the "R" leads some to believe. Apparently the execs "liked the R" even though its not a comp. tire. It will be super sticky and only intended for dry, summer driving. It will be a great tire for the aggresive driver who doesn't want to change tires on autox day. I'll be getting a set hopefully mid summer. Treadware 140 so you can run in STU for autox . I'd say their specs are similar to the Yoko Advan Neova in terms of treadware and grip (only better ).

I recommend the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position for daily driving with TONS of grip. I'd give the grip two thumbs waaaay up. Treadware 140. Compare these with the Michelen Pilot Sport PS2 (but better or course).

Happy shopping.

Go BRIDGESTONE!
Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by #2 SM
I recommend the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position for daily driving with TONS of grip. I'd give the grip two thumbs waaaay up. Treadware 140. Compare these with the Michelen Pilot Sport PS2 (but better or course).

Happy shopping.

Go BRIDGESTONE!
Thanks for that. I don't know if I would compare the two in terms of treadwear, the PS2's are 220, and the 046's are 160.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by upstateEVO
Thanks Greg, that's good info. I saw one of your posts in another thread about the PS2s which was helpful.

My car is a daily driver and I don't get to push it often. How much of a difference in performance is there between the PS2 and 046?

Would you buy the PS2s again?

thx!
The ride is better on the PS2's (softer sidewall) and they're quieter. I had to up the pressures for them not to feel mushy. I would probably buy them again (mounted ballanced and sales tax for about 800 from costco) unless I could get a screaming deal on the Nevoa's, or pending the results of the new Bridgestones.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 01:21 PM

I heard some good things about the Falken Azenis RT-615. They are about to release the 235 40 17 size for the EVO stock rim. Anybody use any of the larger sizes and what luck have you had with them? Again, how do they compare to the stock Advan A046 in terms of responsiveness?
Old Mar 24, 2006, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
235/40/17 is not ths stock evo size. I am currently street driving my RA1s to shave them down a little. I do miss the steering response of my advans. The RA1s more than make up for the loss of steering response w/ grip though. I will probably end up getting the Azeni 615s for my street tires eventually.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by marksae
235/40/17 is not ths stock evo size.
No its not but thats all they currently offer.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

PS2's are dramatically different from the Advans. The side wall is so soft the Evo no longer wanders left and right depending on road surface. Stearing response is down, you can move wheel an inch or so before car turns. Road rattling is reduced. The tires have good grip and don't squeal. I hard cornering they have an un-nerving tendency to give sideways which makes for an unbalanced tip-over feel.
I think the PS2's were designed for large wheel 18" and 19" used on Euro cars. Probably and excellent choice for those with aftermarket wheels.
Do I like them? Heck yeah! Now I can drive to LA from OC without loosing my fillings. Great for daily driving. Treadwear looks good. Excellent on wet roads.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 02:48 PM

I was very impressed with the stock STi's Bridgestone RE070's, and you can get a set of take-offs for a great price over on Nasioc. Dare I say on an EVO forum that they have the hardest sidewall in the industry [in that size]?
Old Mar 24, 2006, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

i had f1s and hated them, ima have to go with the other folks rt615s
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

i ran the ps2 on my 03 and when the stockers(ao46) on my IX wear out i,m going back to the ps2,s. excellent tire, great dry grip fantastic in the rain, nice and quiet compared to the advans. i highly recommend them to anyone. stock size 235x45x17
Old Mar 24, 2006, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by value
Check out the Yokohama Neova
+1 I have had these on my car for 15,000 miles and still loving them. I just had my brakes upgraded and nobody could believe the amount of tread still on the tires.

I would consider myself a very spirited driver and this is also my daily driver.

They have unbelievable grip! I highly recomend them to anybody who wants the ultimate street tire.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:09 PM

I would 2nd the Michelin PS-2's, they are very light (22 lbs) and unless you are tracking
your vehicle, you should enjoy them far better for daily/spirited driving than the noisy
and uncomfortable stockers, they do feel light on there feet.

My first choice was the "Firestone Firehawk SZ 50 EP" since they gave me 25,000 miles
of (handling/looks/comfort/wear), the perfect tire, just stopped making them in Evo
sizes, and only about $150 each........oh well.........
Old Mar 24, 2006, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Visit the UK Evo forums. The Advan is not E code or whatever it is so they cant buy them over there....so they are forced to buy other tires (tyres if you will) and have done plenty of research seeing they have had the Evo for a while to vs. US.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The Advan Neovas are a great tire but extremely expensive.

The Azenis RT-615 is a great tire but very reasonably priced. They also last a long time (for a high performance tire, anyway). I got about 20000 miles out of them and that included 50 autocross runs, about 15 passes at the drag strip, and alot of HARD street use.

EVOlutionary

Quick Reply: Yokohama Advan A046- What tire stands up to it?