Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

H&R wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Also, remember that moving your wheels farther out will change you suspension and steering geometry. Your car will feel different. Depending on your setup you may have more or less "bump steer" and "trammlining" - my guess is that with stock wheels and tires your car will become more twitchy.

EVOlutionary
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So do the 5mm spacers just slide over the existing lug bolts and the other wider sets (10mm/15mm+) use extended lug bolts? Or... Do all of them use new lug bolts the 5mm using new lug bolts to replace the factory and the other wider sets use the factory lugs and seconday bolts???...

Sorry, I am not all that clear how these work from the photo's on H&R's site. Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

H&R are good manufactorer for studs? I know ARP makes a set for the evo, but they are alittle longer then what I need. Are H&R pieces strong?
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

so would 5mm spacers make my wheels look so that it is parralel to the fenders. in stock form they are kinda in there and there fenders go over it a about 3/4 to an inch
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Evolution
H&R are good manufactorer for studs? I know ARP makes a set for the evo, but they are alittle longer then what I need. Are H&R pieces strong?
MR Evolution,

My experience with H&R comes from when I had a Porsche Carrera 4(AWD) Cabriolet. I ordered a full set of spacers for my car however due to the unique suspension geometry of the Porsches I ended buying two different sizes, one for the front and one for the rear.

I can swear up and down that the quality of this H&R spacers are espectacular, they are a solid aluminium block and they are perfectly machine cut.

I have noticed that some people speculated about the length of the studs but few realized that H&R already solved the problem.

The actual spacer has the longer and stronger studs already fitted in to the spacer block and it has specific deep holes so that your stock studs will engage safely. Believe me guys, there is absolutely no need to replace the studs, you must see it to understand it.

I am going to try to scan a couple of pics that I have from a few years ago at the track(Santa Pod Raceway, England) with the Porsche and the spacers and you might be able to see the difference.

I hope that clarify any doubts.

Carlos
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:29 PM

Anyone have suggestions for what might work with stock rims to help handling? Would not want to make it worse. The concept sounds goo though, being wider and all...
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Please post pictures. I think we are talking about different things. The 5mm or 10mm does NOT have the studs incorporated into the block. This would only be on much wider spacers.

And to the above question, yes, pushing your wheel out a little would make it set more flush with the fender. As stated above, though, it will affect you suspension and steering geometry. Maybe not significantly, though.

EVOlutionary
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cdavy
Anyone have suggestions for what might work with stock rims to help handling? Would not want to make it worse. The concept sounds goo though, being wider and all...
I couldn't be any happier with my stock rims. My inmediate plans are ordering coilovers, keeping the awsome stock BBS rims and buying a set of spacers of about 15mm.

PM Evofunk, he just did coilovers plus spacers on stock rims, it is worth sending him a PM for pics.

If you go with very big spacers then you are adding rotational weight plus regular weight, you are also putting more stress on the axles and definately you would need an alignment.

I think I am like you, I want to keep the stock looks but make the stock rims look wider and closer to the wheel arc..

Carlos
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Please post pictures. I think we are talking about different things. The 5mm or 10mm does NOT have the studs incorporated into the block. This would only be on much wider spacers.

And to the above question, yes, pushing your wheel out a little would make it set more flush with the fender. As stated above, though, it will affect you suspension and steering geometry. Maybe not significantly, though.

EVOlutionary
I think you just brought the most significant point of this entire subject. Because the 5mm and ther 10mm is so small you probably are using the stock studs. The ones that I use on my Porsche were 30mm and above and it did came with the studs integrated in the block itself..

Carlos
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
I couldn't be any happier with my stock rims. My inmediate plans are ordering coilovers, keeping the awsome stock BBS rims and buying a set of spacers of about 15mm.

PM Evofunk, he just did coilovers plus spacers on stock rims, it is worth sending him a PM for pics.

If you go with very big spacers then you are adding rotational weight plus regular weight, you are also putting more stress on the axles and definately you would need an alignment.

I think I am like you, I want to keep the stock looks but make the stock rims look wider and closer to the wheel arc..

Carlos
Guys, just remember, alot of engineering went into the suspension geometry of our cars. If Mitsu found that moving the stock wheels out farther from the centerline of the hub made the car handle better, don't you think they would have incorporated it into the design? I am not saying don't do it; just be realistic with your expectations.

I come from a background of quad racing where alot of guys would flip their wheels inside out to get extra track width. Here we are talking 2-4 inches on a 44 inch track width vehicle, so it is a major change. While allowing more stable cornering in smooth sweepers (think oval track) it created a whole lot of other problems - more bump steer, more force on the tie rods and steering system, arm fatigue, changes in your effective shock rates for rebound and compression and spring rates due to more leverage . . .

EVOlutionary

I
Old Mar 28, 2006, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

word things you have to think about when moving parts outward amd increase the rebound of the wheels.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

I think you just brought the most significant point of this entire subject. Because the 5mm and ther 10mm is so small you probably are using the stock studs. The ones that I use on my Porsche were 30mm and above and it did came with the studs integrated in the block itself..

Carlos
Yes, but the 5mm and 10mm spacers come with new studs. These studs replace your stock studs and they are longer to make up for the 5 or 10mm added by the spacers.

- Steve
Old Mar 28, 2006, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mr2lover55
On my old mr2, the had 15mm h&r spacer and they were by far the best spacers since they came with longer wheel studs and are very light weight. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe only the 15mm or above spacers come with extended wheel studs.
5mm H&R spacers come with the extended wheel studs. They give the car a better stance but my steering wheel vibrates too much at 70 mph and up...I'm thinking about removing them
Old Mar 28, 2006, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Carlos
I am using the stock studs with the 5mm spacers. I was too lazy to put the longer ones that came in the box
Old Mar 28, 2006, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOfunk
5mm H&R spacers come with the extended wheel studs. They give the car a better stance but my steering wheel vibrates too much at 70 mph and up...I'm thinking about removing them
The 5mm spacers aren't hubcentric, that's why the steering wheel shakes, the wheel isn't centered properly.

Quick Reply: H&R wheel spacers