Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

OEM rotor replacements in larger sizes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OEM rotor replacements in larger sizes

Anyone know if there are companies out there that sell or will custom make rotors to fit the stock brembo calipers but in a larger diameter? I have couple of friends in Taiwan have done it and put 355mm rotors up front with custom brackets for the calipers so it clears the big rotors.

I wonder if the 2 piece rotors from brembo would fit if only we could buy just the 2 piece rotors.
Attached Thumbnails OEM rotor replacements in larger sizes-brembo_gt.jpg  

Last edited by Derek888; Mar 28, 2006 at 08:30 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd check with STOP TECH they make 355mm rotors. I don't know if they sell them seperately or not........ They only quote the whole kit on their site.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

if they do sell them seperately will they fit the factory Brembo calipers?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 09:03 AM

I was just thinking about larger rotors with the stock calipers...... Wouldn't you end up with less pad actually pressing on the new larger rotor? And wouldn't that make the brakes less efficient?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

^^ makes sense.

I may be wrong but I believe with the stock calipers the pads are only pressing against the middle part of the rotors and not towards the outer part? ill have to check and see cause I remember them only eating up a certain part of the rotors
Old Mar 28, 2006, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

I would think depending on your bracket configuration you would still have the same contact patch as with stock rotors assuming you are using the same size pads which you would be doing with the stock calipers. I would think switching to larger rotors and using the stock pad size would yield no real performance gain. I guess they would dissipate heat a little better but they would also weigh more so what's the point? Looks? That's about the only advantage I can think of.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TURBevO8
I would think depending on your bracket configuration you would still have the same contact patch as with stock rotors assuming you are using the same size pads which you would be doing with the stock calipers. I would think switching to larger rotors and using the stock pad size would yield no real performance gain. I guess they would dissipate heat a little better but they would also weigh more so what's the point? Looks? That's about the only advantage I can think of.
But with a larger diameter rotor, and with the caliper further from the center of the hub, it would have more leverage on the brake rotor. The brake pad would contact more surface area of the rotor per revolution of the wheel. I put 12 in. rotors on an offroad truck that I had, and it stopped like a champ compared to stock 10 in. rotors. I think it wou8ld help, but there are some drawbacks like weight.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm....yeah that sounds correct. I didn't think of that.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by dsevo
But with a larger diameter rotor, and with the caliper further from the center of the hub, it would have more leverage on the brake rotor. The brake pad would contact more surface area of the rotor per revolution of the wheel. I put 12 in. rotors on an offroad truck that I had, and it stopped like a champ compared to stock 10 in. rotors. I think it wou8ld help, but there are some drawbacks like weight.

Another one of those hmmmmmmmm - "didn't think of that". More leverage - "never made the connection"