Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Suspension Clunking Data Gathering

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2006, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Clunking Data Gathering

OK, I have been through all of the suspension clunking threads and I wanted to consolidate some of the information. If we get a common repository of all of the fixes then hopefully we can help some folks that are still having an issue.

1. Replace Front swaybar endlinks
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...aybar+endlinks

2. Replacing top strut mount w/ pillowball setup

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...nsion+clunking

3. Replacing struts

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...nsion+clunking

4. Swaybar replacement

5. Re-torque all bolts (in particular the top nut)

6. Sillicone grease/spray and WD40 on springs and perches

If you have a fix that has worked to cure the clunking please post up.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 07:58 AM

Thanks for putting this together. now i can stop doing it my self..
Old Mar 30, 2006, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ammelk
Thanks for putting this together. now i can stop doing it my self..
No problem!

I just fixed my clunking this evening. I found out my Tein S-tech spring was not properly seated in the strut.

I figured this out by removing the wheel and I could physically turn the spring in the strut seat. I then removed the strut/spring assembly and removed the spring from the strut.

I cleaned everything up and reseated the spring on the strut and put the top assembly back on. I used my electric impact wrench (best purchase evAr!) and put the top nut back on.

After putting everything back together I went for a ride and the clunk was GONE!!!

If you have S-Techs and a clunk then this maybe something that you should give a try.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:11 PM

I have clunking on my front right side. It only happens on right turns. Doesnt do it when its going strait, but the thing is, it clicks at any speed. I have NO idea what mine could be. Ive checked the shock/spring, and nothing seems to be rubbing. Everything is tight underneath.

I did notice that the axle goes in and out a little, but i believe that is normal, as thats the same way it was when it was locked in the transmission on my DSMs. Could there be something as the wheel is turned, its pulling the axel out of the trans? I have no idea what it is, and its driving me crazy trying to figure it out everytime i take a right turn.

Thanks
Old Mar 31, 2006, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsugsx
I have clunking on my front right side. It only happens on right turns. Doesnt do it when its going strait, but the thing is, it clicks at any speed. I have NO idea what mine could be. Ive checked the shock/spring, and nothing seems to be rubbing. Everything is tight underneath.

I did notice that the axle goes in and out a little, but i believe that is normal, as thats the same way it was when it was locked in the transmission on my DSMs. Could there be something as the wheel is turned, its pulling the axel out of the trans? I have no idea what it is, and its driving me crazy trying to figure it out everytime i take a right turn.

Thanks
Check the steering tie rod. Make sure that the joint/rubber sleeve is in good condition and there is no play. Also, jack up the front end and turn lock to lock and see if you can replicate the noise.

Good luck and let me know if you need anymore assistance.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nrcooled
No problem!

I just fixed my clunking this evening. I found out my Tein S-tech spring was not properly seated in the strut.

I figured this out by removing the wheel and I could physically turn the spring in the strut seat. I then removed the strut/spring assembly and removed the spring from the strut.

I cleaned everything up and reseated the spring on the strut and put the top assembly back on. I used my electric impact wrench (best purchase evAr!) and put the top nut back on.

After putting everything back together I went for a ride and the clunk was GONE!!!

If you have S-Techs and a clunk then this maybe something that you should give a try.
I have that same clunk in the drivers side front whenever I go over a decent sized bump. I can't seem to locate it and think it may be the spring/shock that are misaligned. Will have to take it off and try to see if that fixes it.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Creamo3
I have that same clunk in the drivers side front whenever I go over a decent sized bump. I can't seem to locate it and think it may be the spring/shock that are misaligned. Will have to take it off and try to see if that fixes it.
I had the same problem and took it to the dealership and it turned out to be a lower ball joint. they fixed it under warranty now no problems at all. Maybe it's the same sounds exactly like what I experienced.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:33 AM

I checked the steering and everything is fine in that category. Mine is strange though. Its not really a clunking i guess you could say. Its more like something is clicking while rotating. For instance, if im just driving about 15mph down the street and turn, it makes kind of a "tuka tuka tuka tuka" sound every time i turn to the right, or while during a slolom (sp).

Now, lets say im going into my driveway, which i have to turn right to do. As I am making my way up, still slightly turning, i hear the clicking start to slow down, but its still consistent with something rotating, not really load bearing like everyone elses problem. Thats kind of what lead me to believe it was the axle. Everything looks like its bolted up tight, such as the brakes, suspension, ect. , so I might just unbolt everything that rotates and re-tighten them to make sure its ok.

Is there any way this could be caused by the differential? Im still kind of leaning towards the axel, but nothing is ripped/leaking at the boot or anywhere, so thats just odd to me.

Thanks,
Old Apr 3, 2006, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MYEVOVIII
I had the same problem and took it to the dealership and it turned out to be a lower ball joint. they fixed it under warranty now no problems at all. Maybe it's the same sounds exactly like what I experienced.
That may just be it, I am afraid that if I do take it to the dealership they won't do it under warranty since the car is lowered. I will see.