Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

1300 miles and my tires are cupped! Wtf...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1300 miles and my tires are cupped! Wtf...

So my 1 month old evo IX seems to have a cupped tire(s). I took it over to Americas Tire Company and the guys took a look and said at least the front right is cupped and they're confident its due to a defect in the tire and to take it to the dealer.

I find this very odd but it must be a defect due to me driving like a granny (the slow ones) my first 1200 miles.

Has anyone had this problem with Advans? You can hear the tire noise and when you're slowing down its very noticeable that things aren't right.

What are the chances the dealer will fix this due to a defect or do you guys think they're going to try and BS me to avoid swapping out a tire or two? From the horror stories i've heard about mitsu dealers... i pray they'll do the right thing.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

what kind of noise?? road noise from these tires is normal. mine did the same thing. with 4k miles, the front tires were wearing drastically on the inside of the tire, nothing can be done but rotate tires and have alignment checked. check air pressures also. i run them at 35psi for the street. cupping is lack of air pressure in the tire...
Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:34 AM
Evolved Member

I'll check my pressure in the morning. I just want to make sure there isn't a defect in the tire like the guy at Americas Tire Company told me the other day. He wasn't trying to sell me tires either... so i doubt he'd lie. I'll do some more checks and rotate them front to rear.

The noise is the exact noise of cupped tires. Its especially noticeable when you have the windows down and are slowing to a stop on very smooth pavement.

I personally don't think this is normal. But i'm also a new Evo owner. I've just never seen this in over vehicles i've owned or worked on over the years.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cupping is almost always a direct result of a directional tire not being rotated. That usually takes more time to happen than what you've experienced, but it is possible. Are you sure the alignment on that corner is correct? I know many EVO owners have had issues with the alignment being off right out of the box. If a tire was under inflated you would get excessive wear on the outside shoulders, over inflation creates wear down the center. Its very possible that if the pressures were not right and the one corner's alignment is a tad off the tire could wear faster than normal.

I honestly do not think they will warranty a tire in this case, but it never hurts to ask. They carry a 4 year manufacture warranty against defects and uniformity warranty for the first 25% of wear.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm... once the damage is done to a tire, its pretty much just going to get worse even after an alignment, re balancing and rotation? This sucks.... these tires cost a fortune. Perhaps it just gives me incentive to shread them up at the track next time i go so i can buy a nice new set of 18" wheels with less expensive tires and some nice R-Comp tires for my stocker 17's.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a cupping issue on my s-03s, however it's on all four tires. The tread is getting down there, but the insides of ALL 4 tires are cupping. The advans wore evenly, and my winter set seems to be ok. I run 36-33psi front to back, so I'm not under inflating them. It still drives straight as an arrow and doesn't exhibit any suspension problems at all while driving. Oh, and I rotate them every oil change. Any ideas?