Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

WOW!! just wow

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by viciousv322
That is an amazing amount of wear... Is it possible that there could be some transmission problem? Rear diff?
No, its the alignment if he wasn't doing burn outs.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If its your toe (which i think it is), then in order to get that much wear, you would be able to see if it was off with the naked eye. Try taking a straight edge along the side of the wheel and see if its closer to the body on one side than on the other. Its not the most technical way to tell, but you can get a general idea.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
You could also park your car on level ground and drop a plumb line off the forward and rear edges of the rear tires, mark them on the ground, move the car, and measure them. Something like this:

[< 70" >]

[< 69.5" >] would be a half inch toe out.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

I had fairly excessive wear after 8K miles and I bit the bullet and spent a nice wad of change rotating the tires ON THE RIM and a pro alignment. The alignment from the dealership was significantly off which caused the premature wear. It was off left to right, front and back. No two measurements were the same. Not even close. Since the alignment, I've had very little tire wear. I do not track or race the car and I could have easily pulled 30K out of the stock rubber if the alignment had been correct from the beginning. I'll have to get the before and after printouts and scan them in. Bottom line, get the car aligned by a pro shop, someone with the good equipment and a bit of road racing experience.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
If it were toe wear it would exhibit anything but the FLAT wear pattern (or almost flat wear pattern) that tires show. Toe angle wears relative to what it is, negative toe will look like REALLY BAD negative camber and vice versa. There is some toe wear on those tires but it doesnt look all that bad. There are no raised edges on whats left of the tread blocks in the typical capital L type shape. IF the toe were that bad to kill tires in 200 miles (which I have personally seen) there is almost always NEW or almost new tread blocks still left on the opposite edge of the toe angle (i.e. positive toe which looks like positive camber wear would have tread blocks left on the inside edge). This wear looks WAY too flat for bad alignment.

Something else is wrong.

Not pointing fingers but this comes down to human error. Either the tread depth wasnt close enough when the dealership sold you new tires, or your driving like a normal person is normal like the Vaughn Gittin Jr. I spose other cause could be mechanical (or electromechanical). I suggest going to an ASE certified alignment tech (that is not dealership employed), who has a Hunter R811 or higher and getting him to check it out.

As far as the dealership spitting out the dough for tires, the first thing I got told was this warranty covers everything but the clutch, brakes and tires. Maybe they told you the same thing maybe not, but thats gonna be their attitude.

Edit- After looking really close at the middle pic I do see signs of what I was talking about as far as how aggressive toe angle will give the raised edge on a tire. I also see burn lines (as in abuse) on the first and last pic. The tire has been rezed to the secondary rubber in a linear wear shape versus a toe angle wear pattern.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Apr 11, 2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
They only thing I've seen that wears tires that quickly with normal driving is toe.

Have your alignment checked by someone else. I had my car aligned at Mitsu once and the dumbass that was doing it never bothered to look up the specs. He tried setting all the cambers to 0 so in his words "You would get nice even tire wear". The problem with that is to get the rear camber to 0 it puts a sh*t load of toe out into the them which, will definitely eat up tires. Most of these guys get so hung up on camber they don't pay that much attention to toe.

If that's because of over inflation and only over inflation I will be amazed.
Which is funny as hell because camber doesn't do jack for tire wear in comparision to toe being out of spec.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley

Edit- After looking really close at the middle pic I do see signs of what I was talking about as far as how aggressive toe angle will give the raised edge on a tire. I also see burn lines (as in abuse) on the first and last pic. The tire has been rezed to the secondary rubber in a linear wear shape versus a toe angle wear pattern.
ok so that means??
Old Apr 12, 2006, 06:38 AM

this happened to me after i had a shop do an alignment for me. the inside of my tires were completely bald after about 1k miles. i think it was the toe in, because i would have noticed that much negative camber. they didnt want to pay for tires either.

i have found that i cant trust any shop with my car, no matter what the repair is. i do all the work to my cars now. its too bad i cant afford an aliginment rack....
Old Apr 12, 2006, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
How does the car feel? With that much toe out to cause those issues it should have some driveability issues. It would probably be quite unstable I would think.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by CeeNiK
ok so that means??
It is a little off spec, otherwise you wouldnt have raised edge wear indicative of toe wear. The rest of what I said points to someone burning on the tires (as in smoke show, spinning them in place, HARD DRIVING, etc.)

Last edited by JohnBradley; Apr 12, 2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:15 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

By the way, 40psi is NOT overinflating for that car. I run my tires up to 44-46psi for track days, and 36psi for daily driving.

29 is a little too low, actually.

You have PERFECT wear on those tires, but with as little miles, the solution is only 1 of 2:

1) Your TOE angle has to be set something super crazy. However, if they are both in the front AND the rears, I doubt it.

2) You're driving. Perhaps you felt the rush at how crazy it handles and have been driving it hard. Those tires are rated to last 10,000 AVERAGE miles.

Where do you live?
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

first thing i did was get an alignment on my car, anyways good luck fighting it!
Old Apr 12, 2006, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

well i went to the dealership today and i showed them my tires. The actual guy who aligned my tires came in and had the ***** to tell me that they werent wearing like that due to an alignment problem that its because I was driving hard....after trying 2 explain the idiot that i indeed WAS NOT driving the car hard and it had to be an alignment problem I convinced them to put it on the alignment machine to check the specs...AND WHAT DO U KNOW!??! my rear alignment settings were WAYYYY off.

They aligned my tires back properly, gave me the print out and assured me that we would work something out on the tires.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 02:00 AM

Yo CeeNiK glad to hear the dealership fess up and take soem responsibility. What dealership was it?

Also can you post the report on what was off in the alignment? I have a similar issue with my bodyshop and I want to get as many facts as possible since the wear on my rears is exactly the same.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CeeNiK
well i went to the dealership today and i showed them my tires. The actual guy who aligned my tires came in and had the ***** to tell me that they werent wearing like that due to an alignment problem that its because I was driving hard....after trying 2 explain the idiot that i indeed WAS NOT driving the car hard and it had to be an alignment problem I convinced them to put it on the alignment machine to check the specs...AND WHAT DO U KNOW!??! my rear alignment settings were WAYYYY off.

They aligned my tires back properly, gave me the print out and assured me that we would work something out on the tires.
good...because I have 24k+ miles on the car with the stock rear advans still not at the minimum wear marks(close) and they have auto-x and drag time on them.

Quick Reply: WOW!! just wow