Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

lowering an MR ..

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2006, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My bottom line is if you must have aftermarket springs for your MR stay away from the Tein and either buy the Espelir GT springs or the Swift springs. Or just go for a coilover set.

If you go with the springs pick one of the two I listed. Like I said earlier, I have had the Espelir GT springs on my car for a year, no problems other then the ride becoming slightly more stiff, but that is to be expected.
Old May 3, 2006, 09:26 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I absolutely love my Works springs on my MR... ride is PERFECT... the ONLY thing I would change is maybe a 1/2" more drop in the front, but still looks good!
Old May 3, 2006, 10:21 AM

With either the Works, Swift, or Espelir springs on an MR, is the ride smoother than stock on asphalt with compression lips?
Old May 3, 2006, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fireball
I absolutely love my Works springs on my MR... ride is PERFECT... the ONLY thing I would change is maybe a 1/2" more drop in the front, but still looks good!
can u post pics of ur current setup?
Old May 3, 2006, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with the WORKS Ride springs. Please don't get rid of your Bilstiens for coilovers, you simply don't need them. The WORKS springs are amazing. The springs still give a near stock ride, drop the car roughly 1", and greatly improve handeling. I also like how the springs are a simple remove and replace item. There is no drama involved in installing the WORKS springs, they fit just as the stock units. The WORKS springs are also specifically designed just for the Bilstien's on the MR - they will enhance the performance and ride of your MR instead of destroying it. Here are a few pictures of my MR - enjoy.

Old May 3, 2006, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
With either the Works, Swift, or Espelir springs on an MR, is the ride smoother than stock on asphalt with compression lips?
Stiffer...yes. Smoother..yes. I came from a '03 Evo which has a really badly matched spring strut combo.....so it was easy to beat. If you are lowering an MR you will always stiffen the ride...the spring is shorter...no way around it. The trick is to lower the car and have the strut work right within the proper range of the spring. So it may ride a bit stiffer but will feel better because it will feel more solid and have less roll. This is why you MUST use springs designed for the MR......Swift, Espelir GT's and Works MR will work. Do not buy the Active Down model from Espelir just the GT's. Got it?
Old May 3, 2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Adair
Stiffer...yes. Smoother..yes. I came from a '03 Evo which has a really badly matched spring strut combo.....so it was easy to beat. If you are lowering an MR you will always stiffen the ride...the spring is shorter...no way around it. The trick is to lower the car and have the strut work right within the proper range of the spring. So it may ride a bit stiffer but will feel better because it will feel more solid and have less roll. This is why you MUST use springs designed for the MR......Swift, Espelir GT's and Works MR will work. Do not buy the Active Down model from Espelir just the GT's. Got it?
Thanks.
Old May 4, 2006, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hannibal Smith
Go with the WORKS Ride springs. Please don't get rid of your Bilstiens for coilovers, you simply don't need them. The WORKS springs are amazing. The springs still give a near stock ride, drop the car roughly 1", and greatly improve handeling. I also like how the springs are a simple remove and replace item. There is no drama involved in installing the WORKS springs, they fit just as the stock units. The WORKS springs are also specifically designed just for the Bilstien's on the MR - they will enhance the performance and ride of your MR instead of destroying it. Here are a few pictures of my MR - enjoy.

OMG thanks for the pics.. u sold me on those WORKS springs

One last question though... do you need or is it necessary to buy the bumpstops ($69.00 extra) that they offer? What are bumpstops used for?

Thanks in advance,

~ JoeL
Old May 4, 2006, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't need the bumpstop kit - it just makes it eaiser if you do get it. The WORKS springs come with full instructions on cutting the stock bumpstops if you opt not to get the WORKS kit. With the WORKS bumpstops you simply remove the stock bumpstops and replace them with the WORKS pieces. If you don't get the WORKS bumpstops, you will have to cut your stock ones in order for them to fit with the shorter WORKS springs.
Old May 4, 2006, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
you know just to protest the nonsearching that birthed this thread, i'm gonna nya nya and say i got coilovers and i DIDN'T lower my car :P i hope that totally doesn't help.
Old May 5, 2006, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
you know just to protest the nonsearching that birthed this thread, i'm gonna nya nya and say i got coilovers and i DIDN'T lower my car :P i hope that totally doesn't help.
Wow, your awesome, you post a statement like that right as this thread is ending. Your so cool...
Old May 5, 2006, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
so are you're--while we're using improper grammar :P
Old May 5, 2006, 03:04 AM
Account Disabled

i would go with the works, i purchased the swifts though, my car is nose heavy now with the drop and the removal of the heavy crash beam in the rear. They look real cool but, i understand now how important the rake of the vehicle is.
Old May 6, 2006, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

I have been thinking about upgrading my MR's springs as well.... I'm sold on Works until my Bilsteins wear out... then I'll upgrade to coilovers.
Old May 7, 2006, 10:43 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well....

we have 8K on our MR with eibach springs, with no ill affect....

they work fine for us.

cb

Quick Reply: lowering an MR ..