Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

The Truth About Ohlins R/T Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2006, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, really getting tired of the smokey mirrors and CIA access approval only to get suspension info. My rates will be 12K/10K.
Old May 9, 2006, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by value
Ok, really getting tired of the smokey mirrors and CIA access approval only to get suspension info. My rates will be 12K/10K.
Old May 9, 2006, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by value
I think you mean smoke and mirrors. Like what David Copperfield used to make the Statue of Liberty disappear.

Why will your rates be 12/10? Just because others have said that will be a good setup, or because you have tested those rates against others and that rate performed the best? What valving specs are you using? Care to share your shock dyno graphs?

If you are racing competitively and have found a setup that works well, why would you tell the world and your competition? If a drag racer is making 100 more HP than the other competitors - you don't see him going out and telling them what ignition and fuel values he is running in his EMS.

It all comes down to competitive advantage. If you have put alot of time and money into R & D to get that advantage, you surely aren't going to go around telling everyone your specs and pissing away that advantage. That is the reason for the top-level CIA security clearance.

EVOlutionary
Old May 9, 2006, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

FYI, If you go to a japanese bookstore and by one of the hyperrev magazines (i.e. vol 103), there are about 20 pages of the top tuners cars with descriptions of there tire/wheel sizes, suspension set-up, and other info. Though they don't show dyno graphs of the shocks, 90% of them are using 12kg F/10 kg R for there track cars.
Old May 9, 2006, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoracerx
FYI, If you go to a japanese bookstore and by one of the hyperrev magazines (i.e. vol 103), there are about 20 pages of the top tuners cars with descriptions of there tire/wheel sizes, suspension set-up, and other info. Though they don't show dyno graphs of the shocks, 90% of them are using 12kg F/10 kg R for there track cars.

different country, different tracks.

n
Old May 9, 2006, 08:12 PM
Former Sponsor

U beat me 2 it! like when the "drift King" grabbed to much steering lock the first time he tried to turn your loose as*ed bi**h..roflmfao....
Old May 10, 2006, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PHP Code:
Why will your rates be 12/10Just because others have said that will be a good setup, or because you have tested those rates against others and that rate performed the bestWhat valving specs are you usingCare to share your shock dyno graphs
Probably because I care about not getting a totally race setup that I can't live with on the street. Not being told what spring rates a coilover system runs because I have to keep a shop winning is total bull. If they don't disclose I'll be happy to take my $$ to someone who will. I have run a 10K F/R setup previously. Ohlins setup has 12/10.

PHP Code:
different countrydifferent tracks
Same results.
Old May 10, 2006, 12:24 PM

If you do some searching, you'll find that the Vishnu/PG Ohlins RT set uses 450F/550R which is about 9F/11R, but this is also for custom valving, specific ride heights, and stock sway bars. Paul Gerrard drives his wife and kids in this car and when we go to the track, we swap on some slicks, adjust the alignment, and Paul breaks some track records.
Old May 11, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Which Ohlins coilover design is newer? Sportline or R/T
Old May 11, 2006, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

I find it interesting that some tuners and stock steups use a lighter spring rate in the front while quite a few others use heavier springs in the front while some are equal.

This in my mind--among other factors--is a fundemental difference in suspension tuning philosophy.
Old May 11, 2006, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
well the better question to see if tuning philosophies are indeed different is to measure hte wheel rate. if their final wheel rate is all the same then the philosophy is actually the same. what philosophy though? at that point it would be driving philosophy. so you're right the choice to either use roll bars or spring rate is a fundamental difference in sus tuning philosophy.
Old May 11, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

you are saying that 12/10 is good for the STREET? lolerz
Old May 11, 2006, 06:05 PM

most setups that use softer rear springs are using a stiff rear sway bar, this makes the rear suspension less "independent" and that's why you see them lifting the inside rear tire through the whole turn, which isn't too good when you try to accelerate again. then you need a diff with lots of preload. sway bars should be used as a tuning device for conditions, not as a basis for handling balance.

I don't know which Ohlins are newer, the Sport, RT, and Flag series have all been available in Japan for some time, it's just whenever they made it over here.
Old May 25, 2006, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

This is turning into another pissing contest and "I know more than you do" thread.
Outsourcing parts while often more cost efficient, has downsides. I did not know OHLINS was outsourcing, but it explains a lot if it is true.

I send my OHLINS customers (some of them run DMS and OHLINS as they run multiple cars / setups) to another shop on the west coast that has been dealing with OHLINS for so long that their swedish is better than their english. It is not WORKS, they are not the only OHLINS center.

At the end of the day the setup that is the best, is the one that the driver enjoys the most. Does not matter what his crew, friends, engineers tell him. If the driver likes it, he is fast. Period.

-mark
Old May 25, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I guess that's why I'm so fast. I like my Ohlins. Never tried the DMS, but I am sure I would like them too. It will be interesting to see if there are any EVOs at Solo2 Nationals this year on DMS, and how they do.

Quick Reply: The Truth About Ohlins R/T Coilovers