Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

warped rotors

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2006, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew LB
I've seen people many times thinking their rotors were warped when in fact their tires were cupped or flat spotted.

Warping brembo rotors are hard to do. Even these stocker OEM ones. I'd be suprised to see them actually warped.
I agree.. I had a buddy who was repeatedly "warping" Brembo front rotors on an M3.

Turns out it was the front hub spindle/bearing/hat. The hub/bearings/shaft (something in there) was allowing too much play or was warped (although unnoticable to the touch) and it seemed to warp the rotor at the hat. The rotor would rock on the ground and as you turn the rotor you could see it move back and forth. Now that I think about it, I can't remember if the rotors were warped, or if they just appeared that way and after some use were "worn crooked" so they would rock on a flat surface...

It was a really weird problem to diagnose, but it was process of elimination that led him to figure it out. Good thing that he found a supplier that had a surplus of the rotors he needed and let him buy them for stupid cheap. I think the worn rotors were trashed already so he couldn't reuse them...
Old May 9, 2006, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think wat ppl refer to as "warping" is just uneven brake material transfer.....i dont think they actually warp out of shape.
Old May 9, 2006, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ rotors can warp out of shape. But usually its pad material or even messed up tires.

A few months back while driving to Pahrump, NV for a track event, my buddies STi had relatively new race pads on it and experienced warped like vibrations when stopping from high speeds. Upon looking at the rotors at the track, it turned out it was simply brake material built up on certain spots on the rotor.

A few laps around the track with hard braking actually made it go away.