Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Just mounted Advan AO48's

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tsurara
Ok, do you understand why running an r-compound tire on the street is dumb and a waste of money?
sometimes... you just gotta let it go and watch the drama.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, do you understand why running an r-compound tire on the street is dumb and a waste of money?
You did say that it's his car, so just let him do whatever he wants. You warned him already right.

By the way, why don't you get tires like Michelin Pilot Sport or Bridgestone? Why the Advan? Is it just because you want to keep it JDM?
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

A048's in medium hard are barely R-comps and come stock on half the Lotus Elises I've ever seen. They will wear a bit faster than the stock Advans. BFD. The medium compound is getting a bit ridiculous, but it's ridiculous to commute in what amounts to a race car anyway so it's really not pushing the envelope that much.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 08:53 PM

You SERIOUSLY bought A048s for the street? Hope it doesn't rain.

I think that's a waste of money and a dumb idea to run r-compounts on the street, but hey, it's your car.
I don't drive the car in the rain, so it doesn't bother me. And it's totally worth it for the street, they grip like crazy.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by machron1
A048's in medium hard are barely R-comps and come stock on half the Lotus Elises I've ever seen. They will wear a bit faster than the stock Advans. BFD. The medium compound is getting a bit ridiculous, but it's ridiculous to commute in what amounts to a race car anyway so it's really not pushing the envelope that much.
I guess, but the Elise with that package is hardly a street car. It's more of an out of the box race car.

Originally Posted by GunmetalMR
I don't drive the car in the rain, so it doesn't bother me. And it's totally worth it for the street, they grip like crazy.
Yeah, good thing, you certainly need tires that "grip like crazy" for those onramps and streets.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:22 PM

It's just more fun bro.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

pics of them installed on ur car?
Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:35 PM

Need digital camera first.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

lots of people daily drive r compound tires. I find this much better than people that run 225 costco tires on thier evos.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

I guess, but the Elise with that package is hardly a street car. It's more of an out of the box race car.
And the Evo is what exactly? From what I've heard ::tongue-firmly-in-cheek:: it's an out-of-the-box rally car. The Elise I see at work every day is A048-equipped. I'm not saying it's a great idea, I'm just saying for a car like this it's not as ridiculous as it would be on...say...a honda civic.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

And the Evo is what exactly? From what I've heard ::tongue-firmly-in-cheek:: it's an out-of-the-box rally car. The Elise I see at work every day is A048-equipped. I'm not saying it's a great idea, I'm just saying for a car like this it's not as ridiculous as it would be on...say...a honda civic.
Except for the Evo, that's mostly marketing hype. A stock Evo wouldn't exactly do very well (mechanically) in a real rally. It's a bit more true for the Elises. I'm not calling it ridiculous either, I just think it's a dumb idea.

It's funny that you mention Honda Civics, this reminds me of the Civic owners who want to run slicks on the street . Check out the forums (I used to autocross an Integra because it was cheap), the question is posed quite a bit. Good to see we are just a bunch of dumb ricers with more expensive cars.

Last edited by Tsurara; Jun 23, 2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 03:49 AM
Evolved Member

LOL I don't think you can compare running r-comps on the street to running slicks...I mean seriously, during spirited driving you can actually USE r-comps. There is absolutely no reason at all whatsoever to run drag slicks on the street unless you do big smokey burnouts at each stoplight, and never make any turns...
Old Jun 24, 2006, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

LOL I don't think you can compare running r-comps on the street to running slicks...I mean seriously, during spirited driving you can actually USE r-comps. There is absolutely no reason at all whatsoever to run drag slicks on the street unless you do big smokey burnouts at each stoplight, and never make any turns...
well said
Old Jun 24, 2006, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

I don't see any problem running r-comps on the street. It's his car and his money. I run r-comps on the street myself....A032Rs-compound. I only drive my car at most about 50 miles per week or around 2000-3000 per year on the street. The only other time I drive it is at the the track (autox/roadcourse). I can drive on my A032R's in the rain just fine also...
It's not like he is driving around on Hoosiers.
I also have a Mustang that has M/T ET Drag tires that I use on the street....they're DEFINITELY not a rain tire You just have to know the limitations of your tires and how they work under different conditions. Truthfully the stock Advans aren't far off from being an r-comp themselves. They are a VERY sticky tire with a VERY stiff sidewall. They feel very similar to the A032R's when it comes to grip and steering response.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:16 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedwrx
Yea I only drive my car when it's nice out.
Perfect mission for a rally car.

Quick Reply: Just mounted Advan AO48's