Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Excessive Tire Wear (inside front)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2006, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I aligned my car at 600mi and the alignment was way off. I had 3min. of toe out up front. Rear toe was L 0'06 R 0'14. My front tires were already starting to chop on the inside edges so I set the front toe at 0'01. At 1200mi it hadn'g ot any better so I talked to the service manager and showed him the alignment specs. He told me to set the toe at 0, and they probably still couldn't warranty my tires. I informed him that with two documented alignments and tire psi logs he will warranty my tires if their toast by 3k.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oak2207
I've got 54,500 miles on my '03 VIII, and it's never seen an alignment. Still drives straight as an arrow, but I've got cupping on all 4 tires and I rotate them every oil change. I have the S-03s and the treadwear is getting down there as this is their 3rd summer season. Would this be a toe issue too?
Cupping is often caused by poor dampening from the struts. The tire does not stay planted and tramples on the road causing a cupping condition.

To reiterate, inside tire where is toe! You can run a lot of camber and 0 toe and you will not have a wear issue. If you have a lot of camber and toe is not right on it only amplifies the problem.

A lot of the time you will actually find the car has toe-out (no such thing really) or that the tires point out at the front. In this situation, you are practically dragging the tire on the road.

Too much toe-in will usually not only wear the inside edge like toe-out but will cause the tires to feather the treads. This can be misconstrued as cupping.

Feathering is when the tread blocks are worn at an angle across the block.
Cupping is when the centers of the tread are lower then the outside edges of the block.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

I had the same thing, I aligned my car after I got springs then one day I saw the wear on the inside tread. Took it back to the shop it was aligned at and they checked it and it came out okay. Took it to another shop and they found the toe to be out. Fixed it and it seemed to be okay but I looked the other day and it looks to be doing it again. Sucks, but it sounds like it is something that Evo's do.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

i have the same problems. and my steering wheel shakes too. its freakin annoying!!
im lookin at my alignment report
front
toe: left= 1/32
right= 1/32

rear
toe: left=5/32
right= 5/32

should i get another alignment?