Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Excessive Tire Wear (inside front)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2006, 03:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excessive Tire Wear (inside front)

I am running a basic IX MR (w/ flash and MBC) and have ~6200 miles on the car. I drive the car as it was intended to be driven but it has never been to the track. This last weekend I had the car up on and was going to rotate the tires when noticed the AWFUL wear on the front tires -- inside 1" is bald. The rears look fine.

At first I thought camber, but the car is completely stock so negative camber should not be the issue. I called Mitsubishi and Yoko and addressed the issue with them. Mitsubishi Parts Manager claimed he never heard of a problem with tire wear, so I basically discounted him. Yoko rep. told me to go to an authorized Yoko dealer (e.g. NTB, not Mitsu dealer) and they would warranty it if there was not an alignment issue .

Do you guys know what is going on here? What causes the inside 1" to wear but the rest of the tire to be great? Also, a friend on this site had his front inside blow at ~12,000 miles. Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2006, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
I am running a basic IX MR (w/ flash and MBC) and have ~6200 miles on the car. I drive the car as it was intended to be driven but it has never been to the track. This last weekend I had the car up on and was going to rotate the tires when noticed the AWFUL wear on the front tires -- inside 1" is bald. The rears look fine.

At first I thought camber, but the car is completely stock so negative camber should not be the issue. I called Mitsubishi and Yoko and addressed the issue with them. Mitsubishi Parts Manager claimed he never heard of a problem with tire wear, so I basically discounted him. Yoko rep. told me to go to an authorized Yoko dealer (e.g. NTB, not Mitsu dealer) and they would warranty it if there was not an alignment issue .

Do you guys know what is going on here? What causes the inside 1" to wear but the rest of the tire to be great? Also, a friend on this site had his front inside blow at ~12,000 miles. Thanks
the alignment from the factory sucks.

simply said, thats it. Probably just a bit of toe in.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

So run neutral toe? I have run pretty aggressive toe out (on cars that were auto-x), as well as toe in (on race cars) and never had a problem like this....Then again they were not really street cars

What are the ideal settings for the street? Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2006, 03:53 AM
Evolved Member

to the best of my knowledge, i'm running 0 toe (per robi), again, car is not an everyday driver.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

bump for more feedback

Bump for more feedback / advice.....

If I am going to change the alignment, what should I set it to??? Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2006, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inside tire wear is common! Bump for new settings.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

It's an alignment problem w/o doubt. Search for spec recomendations.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

this is one of the most common problems on Evos. I had mine realigned at 2-3k to avoid this issue.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:39 AM

I had this problem, took it to the dealer, they checked the alignment, and told me everything was fine! So when the wear got pretty bad at about 12k, I flipped 'em.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

camber will wear tires, but not like toe will, toe kills them, as the tire is rolling over on itself every revolution.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 03:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Zero toe at the front is a good setting, but your car more than likely does not have zero toe. I've taken my car to one alignment shop, had an alignment, and then took it to another shop the same day and had the alignment rechecked only to find that the alignment values from the second alignment rack were quite different than the first. So, I recommend checking the toe again. Like WP said, bad toe will rapidly wear the inside or outside of a tire much more than camber will.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

the evo's camber is just set that way. wear on the inside of the tires is goin to happen. how often do you do highway driving?? thats is a big factor in its self. i had the same issue and about flipped. my alignment was checked a barely off. now where enough to cause this wear. just the way it is and price for soft tires that handle great. another reason why some ppl sacrifice some performance for tread life. this doesn't occur on the harder rubber as bad. chances are, you will not get assistance in getting new tires. if you do, CONGRATS!!! first i heard of.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
0 toe front and rear, at least 1 degree of camber in the front. call it a day and you can relax

- Andrew
Old Jul 12, 2006, 01:56 AM

that is normal. I noticed that with my O5 EVO around 6k miles. So I rotated them. Fronts straight to back. That's stock camber. Nothing to worry about. You just have to start hitting the corners a little harder. Remember, in Japan they have lots of Windee roads out there.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

I've got 54,500 miles on my '03 VIII, and it's never seen an alignment. Still drives straight as an arrow, but I've got cupping on all 4 tires and I rotate them every oil change. I have the S-03s and the treadwear is getting down there as this is their 3rd summer season. Would this be a toe issue too?

Quick Reply: Excessive Tire Wear (inside front)