Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Installed Rollbar- car understeers now

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2006, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good call

one of the main reasons

harnessbars should never be used without a roll bar

Last edited by 555R; Jul 23, 2006 at 04:55 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

The Autopower is clearly made for the wide array of potential drivers. I am short and sit upright, the Autopower is too far back in my opinion. There is a good 10-12 inches from the harness bar to the seat back. I honestly wish I had gone custom...

I am going to VIR for the NASA North Course event this upcoming weekend. I need to see how it does there with the Hoosiers.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nukblazi
I was mostly curious if anyone removed the front strut tower bar or installed a lower subframe brace up front. Basically, a sanity check plus attempt to resolve. Tire pressure did it.

Thanks
Why would you want to remove the front strut tower bar? It keeps the outer tower from bending outwards which would cause the outer tires camber angle to become more positive. That would reduce front grip even further.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 03:58 AM
Evolving Member

I was just running through possible changes; if the car was too stiff, it is a way to reduce stiffness.

I've received several suggestions regarding the removal or lack of need of the front strut bar from people who track the evo.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

The Autopower is clearly made for the wide array of potential drivers. I am short and sit upright, the Autopower is too far back in my opinion. There is a good 10-12 inches from the harness bar to the seat back. I honestly wish I had gone custom...

I am going to VIR for the NASA North Course event this upcoming weekend. I need to see how it does there with the Hoosiers.
it's all in your seating position, i'm way the heck back there, because i'm tall, and in a short seat. The B pillar nearly blocks my vision, but yet my wrists sit on top of the wheel when stretched to the top.

Robi also mentioned to me about the front tower bar, or lack there of. I'm still running the stock one though, but it's not bolted in the center (camber plates raise it up)
Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Mine...

Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

I was just running through possible changes; if the car was too stiff, it is a way to reduce stiffness.

I've received several suggestions regarding the removal or lack of need of the front strut bar from people who track the evo.
I wouldn't buy much into it unless there was a real test done, not "it went around this paticular track faster that day". I'd say go out to a large paved lot and make your own "traction circle" with some cones. Leave camber angles alone, then measure tire temps with and without the bar. If you don't see an increase in temps on the outside of the tire then the body isn't flexing enough to cause a camber change.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 04:02 AM
Evolving Member

I balanced it out with tire pressures. I think it was a combo of new tires and additional weight. I did donuts in both directions, wore down the tires a bit and adjusted the pressures. Seems balanced now. I'll see for sure this weekend at VIR. I almost got nailed by the fuzz playing with the oversteer around town... not good.