Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

bump steer problems

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2006, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bump steer problems

I'm hoping other evo owners can attest to this situation. The car is perfect on smooth turns and high and low speeds, but as soon as you throw some bumps in there it feels real jittery. My wifes lancer OZ feels better in these situations than my supreme Evo. I have an MR with stock Bilsteins and Works springs and a Hotchkis rear swaybar. What methods have you guys used to help calm the bump steer down? I know asking for it to go completely away is not entirely possible but I do know it can be reduced. I've read that adjusting your "raised toe" setting on the alignment machine can help quite a bit. Do coilovers help at all? Has anyone tried the adjustable tierod ends and lower control arms? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump, I have the same question.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive always thought good steering feedback and bumpsteer go hand in hand. *shrugs* there are bumpsteer correction kits btw.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Whiteline bumpsteer correction kit. Give it a try, pretty popular and well liked. Cheap too.

Coilover's probably won't help.....

- Andrew
Old Aug 10, 2006, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Whiteline bumpsteer correction kit. Give it a try, pretty popular and well liked. Cheap too.
What exactly does it do to correct the bumpsteer?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:44 AM
ST
Evolving Member

There's a Turbo Mag article written by Mike K. (of nissan sr20de fame) w/ their project Evo on the bump steer correction kits. Forgot what issue it was, but try a search for it.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:01 AM

did your car have the "jittery" feeling while cornering before you changed springs?

is your wife's car on lowering springs?

who did the alignment after you changed springs?

when you installed the anti-roll bar did you apply plenty of grease?

JW
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ST
There's a Turbo Mag article written by Mike K. (of nissan sr20de fame) w/ their project Evo on the bump steer correction kits. Forgot what issue it was, but try a search for it.
I am familiar with the article, it's a good one for sure. I am also familiar with the theory behind what causes bump steer.

Where does the Evo have a problem with bump steer? Is this kit for the front? or the rear? or does it work in both places because you need it in both places?

You can clearly see that it offsets the mount to correct the bumpsteer, but I don't see any way to lock it in place. Is it adjustable? Or does it only go in one way?

I see that Works sells a rear kit, and so does Robi from Robispec, but he also has a front kit that is a bit more pricey than just a couple of bushings. Is it dangerous to do the rear and not the front?

Sorry to ask a million questions, but I'm about to do some serious suspension work myself and would like to do the major stuff only once if possible.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Here's an online version of the directions for the Whiteline rear bump steer kit.....actually gives you a pretty good idea of how it works.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/sekellic...278_KCA388.pdf

- Andrew
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Here's an online version of the directions for the Whiteline rear bump steer kit.....actually gives you a pretty good idea of how it works.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/sekellic...278_KCA388.pdf

- Andrew
Well you just earned my business. I just ordered the bump steer kit and steering precision kit. Thanks for the info!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:09 PM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by jbrown
I am familiar with the article, it's a good one for sure. I am also familiar with the theory behind what causes bump steer.

Where does the Evo have a problem with bump steer? Is this kit for the front? or the rear? or does it work in both places because you need it in both places?

You can clearly see that it offsets the mount to correct the bumpsteer, but I don't see any way to lock it in place. Is it adjustable? Or does it only go in one way?

I see that Works sells a rear kit, and so does Robi from Robispec, but he also has a front kit that is a bit more pricey than just a couple of bushings. Is it dangerous to do the rear and not the front?

Sorry to ask a million questions, but I'm about to do some serious suspension work myself and would like to do the major stuff only once if possible.

The Whiteline bumpsteer kits goes in the rear where the toe adjustment is done.

The the metal sleeve inside the bushing will not move. It has to be pressed in so the bushing will not allow it to move. You want it to go with the hole offset towards the ground(when installed) to decrease bump steer and up if you want to increase bumpsteer.

I run these on my personal car. The car seems very stable even when thrown onto the rumble strips.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RallySport Direct
The Whiteline bumpsteer kits goes in the rear where the toe adjustment is done.

The the metal sleeve inside the bushing will not move. It has to be pressed in so the bushing will not allow it to move. You want it to go with the hole offset towards the ground(when installed) to decrease bump steer and up if you want to increase bumpsteer.

I run these on my personal car. The car seems very stable even when thrown onto the rumble strips.
Thanks Ben! That's exactly what it said in the instructions. The help is much appreciated.

I've ordered some stuff from you guys too! (from Rick) I actually need to call him about some harnesses, thanks for reminding me!

This is why I support the vendors that support EvolutionM!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Can someone with experience please tell me exactly how to install the Whiteline kit? Do you need a hydraulic press to remove the original bushing and put in the Whiteline bushing? Do you press the plastic bushing into the arm first, then the offset metal cylinder? Does the lube go between the bushing and the arm, and between the cylinder and bushing? The Whitelin instructions don't have a lot of detail.

I just got this the bumpsteer bushings and am going to install them along with a Vishnu/Ohlins coilover kit. Thanks for any help!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:43 PM
Silver Sponsor

1. Take off arm being careful to not break oil seal on the joint.

2. Press out stock bushing.

3. Lube up Yellow Poly bushing on the outside

4. Press it in

5. put up to car and mark on bushing where you need to position the cylinder

6. lube cylinder.

7. press cylinder in

8. reinstall and get a alignment from a reputable shop.

9. relax and enjoy your bumpsteerless evo
Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jbrown
Well you just earned my business. I just ordered the bump steer kit and steering precision kit. Thanks for the info!
Not a problem....enjoy!

- Andrew

Quick Reply: bump steer problems