Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Gauging Interest: RaceComp Street/Track Springs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2007, 02:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
We didn't have Dan's digital SLR for pics today but my point and shoot was okay. I want to put DaveMac's CE28N's on the car to see how it all looks

I tried to keep the shadows from making the drop look deceiving so the indoor pics w/ flash show the drop best. Also tried to get some pics of the front bumper clearance.

- Andrew
Old Jul 26, 2007, 02:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rivalaC
that's pretty sweet looking, not a very significant drop but it looks perfect
Thanks! I really didn't want it to end up too low, and I believe we got the ride height spot on. I'll have measurements soon....want to leave a little time for them to settle (even though they won't settle much, just want to play it safe).

Me and Dan's full driving impressions coming a little bit later....but the short story is that they are very very good.

- Andrew
Old Jul 26, 2007, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, I think that is exactly what I'm looking for! I can't wait for some impressions/reviews! :-)

~Steve
Old Jul 26, 2007, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good thing is you guys did a car that i see every week, so i'm excited to see it and check em out in person, since they'll be settled soon
Old Jul 26, 2007, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Veryyyy nice, now when do they ship .
Old Jul 26, 2007, 06:30 PM

just got back from seeing prinya's car in person and compared it to my ix GG mr and well, i gotta say, that's some pretty sweet looking lowering springs. front was a lot more than i expected but probably exactly what i'm looking for in springs, back was a wee bit lower than stock. after looking at it and hearing about the ride, i'm sold on this one
Old Jul 26, 2007, 07:08 PM
Former Sponsor

^ Sweeeeeeet. Did you go for a ride?

- Andrew
Old Jul 26, 2007, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Nice pictures! I'm impressed (though I was hoping it'd be with the SE lip so I could see the ground clearance, no biggie though).
Old Jul 26, 2007, 09:11 PM
Former Sponsor

So I feel pretty good....it's been a long process and I finally feel like I can relax. Well, I should say I'll relax when everyone else gets their springs too, but for now, I'm pretty darn happy.

First, Prinya's car was on stock sized Kumho Ecsta ASX all season tires....so keep that in mind with regards to ride quality and also performance. Not my choice, but it's okay.

Obviously, the best (least biased) review will come from someone other then the guy who's been sweating over these for quite a while, but here are my thoughts regardless.

Anyway, here we go:

Ride height - Exactly what we were going for. The shadows in the wheel wells for the outdoor shots are deceptive and make it look a little lower then it really is, but if you look at the indoor shots with the flash, you'll see it's about 20mm front and 15mm rear. Exact measurements coming soon, but you can see for yourself in those pictures. It looks good and is not too low at all. Nice subtle drop.

Performance - What can I say? Body roll is greatly reduced, as expected. Spring rates are stiffer then Swifts, which are already pretty stiff, so I wasn't too worried about the handling. No wallowing, the dampers are up to the rates, balance is great, etc. Nice part is that with the mild drop, there's plenty travel left to soak up mid-corner bumps without sending the car bouncing off bumpstops. Also, the car does not roll and then just sit on it's bumpstops, the spring is doing the work (instead of a rubber bumpstop that just spikes the spring rate causing terminal understeer). The car just has so much more potential now and the limits are quite a bit higher. Even with the all-seasons, it was easy to feel how transformed the car was, just with a set of springs. I'm really happy everyone wanted only a subtle drop, because it works very well with these rates and produces a nice, consistent handling feel.

Ride Quality - For lack of better words, it's really stinking good. If you've ever been on Route 1 in Maryland near Elkridge, you know it's virtual war zone full of pot holes, stripped asphalt, perpetual road work, etc. I honestly think in the 1 year we've been at our current location, there's been about 1 month where they haven't been doing road work. And the road is still misery. So knowing our rates, and knowing how a stock EVO rides, we were bracing for a pretty rough ride. But the springs just work. Nasty bumps are dealt with, then the car moves on. No real jarring to speak of. Me and Dan were aiming for broken pavement, bumps, etc. (not hard to find) and were just amazed. Again, subtle drop is the way to go. The soft sidewalls of the tires helped, but still, I was very happy and maybe a little surprised with the results.

For comparison, I drive the same stretch of road often in a Subaru Forester with loooots of suspension travel, soft springs, and soft sidewall tires, and this EVO was not far off.

No noises, no coil bind, no problems at all. Also, no need to cut bumpstops. Hopefully Prinya and Dan will come on here and give their impressions soon as well.

Thanks for the feedback, ideas, and help everyone! We seriously could not have done it without your help. Time for a beer.

- Andrew
Old Jul 27, 2007, 04:51 AM

Hey, actually this is my screen name on here. Here are the pics that I took.
And I'm getting Azeni's put on a set of Evo 8 rims that are down the street at Ye Olde Wheel Shop. If you guys want to take her for a spin after that and an alignment I can swing by again.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1058218...7601035347744/

Driving impressions:
I haven't really gotten on it too much since I need to get the car aligned, but driving down route 1 on the way home, wasn't too bad. The ride is definitely more firm, but not a harsh ride. The car has very little body roll compared to stock, it's pretty much point and go.

Last edited by kaioshin; Jul 27, 2007 at 04:57 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 07:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by kaioshin
Driving impressions:
I haven't really gotten on it too much since I need to get the car aligned, but driving down route 1 on the way home, wasn't too bad. The ride is definitely more firm, but not a harsh ride. The car has very little body roll compared to stock, it's pretty much point and go.
Does it feel like bump absorption is better than stock?
Old Jul 27, 2007, 08:31 AM

Bump absorption? Well, they are stiffer springs. You'll notice more of the imperfections in the road, but it's well within the limits of a daily driver. These springs seem to work well with the stock struts too. No excessive bouncing or anything after hitting a dip in the road.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 09:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by kaioshin
Bump absorption? Well, they are stiffer springs. You'll notice more of the imperfections in the road, but it's well within the limits of a daily driver. These springs seem to work well with the stock struts too. No excessive bouncing or anything after hitting a dip in the road.
ok. Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Perfect drop imo.
Exactly as you promised.
These will definitely do until I go coilovers later.
When could we expect to see them delivered?
Btw, for anyone questioned why there was a delay with these springs, just check out the suby forums.
These guys have been more than busy trying to come out with several different springs for STIs and evos.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 10:24 AM
Former Sponsor

^ Thanks! Today is WRX Wagon spring final test day.....then STi Regular Guy springs early next week, and so on.

Big shipment of EVO springs are due this coming Friday, and we're gonna try and get all the preorders out that same day. That should be fun.

- Andrew

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest: RaceComp Street/Track Springs