Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Gauging Interest: RaceComp Street/Track Springs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2006, 06:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kw273
You guys need to make a spring for the EVO! I rode and drove my friend's STI after the spring change and it is wonderful, no more jarring over bumps/expansion joints, the drop is great, and it handles beautifully. The suspension seems to all work together much better. We'll see how it does at willow springs raceway next weekend, but as he put it, this is how the car should be from the factory, no minuses from the new spring, only pluses
Awesome!

That's exactly the reaction and feel we are looking for with our Evo springs.

For those springs, we threw out everything previously tried on an Impreza and did something different....

The result is amazing, as you've seen. Now if we can just keep up with the demand....

- Andrew
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andrew, this is exactly what i was waiting for.
I daily drive my ix mr and am relatively happy with the stock suspension.
However, I would definitely prefer slightly lower stance (less than 1" please) and less roll.
I was planning on purchasing other brand rear sway bar but gonna wait for yours.

Btw, I had Sti pinks on my sti.
Typical drop spring results; harsher ride with almost no performance improvement.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

This sounds like a great product... Here's my input:

1. I agree with the other posts---> they can't lower the car more than 1"... Due to:
A. Too much potential to diminish the handling of the car if it goes lower than an inch. The stock struts don't have all that much travel to begin with.
B. Too likely to blow struts.

2. I'd prefer linear springs, but that's more due to what I've read, not actual experience. Do progressive springs really make a difference in ride quality?

3. The drop should also be even, or close to even (back to front).

I think that's about it for now... Please get those MR springs going too!!!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

(side note, how are customers liking their PSS9s? there's not many reviews on them...)
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sti2evo9mr
Andrew, this is exactly what i was waiting for.
I daily drive my ix mr and am relatively happy with the stock suspension.
However, I would definitely prefer slightly lower stance (less than 1" please) and less roll.
I was planning on purchasing other brand rear sway bar but gonna wait for yours.

Btw, I had Sti pinks on my sti.
Typical drop spring results; harsher ride with almost no performance improvement.
Noted....

so far there are zero votes for anything over 1" with most people looking for less the .75" drop....awesome

shows us you guys (and girls) are serious. this is what we like to see.

- andrew
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tak555
This sounds like a great product... Here's my input:

1. I agree with the other posts---> they can't lower the car more than 1"... Due to:
A. Too much potential to diminish the handling of the car if it goes lower than an inch. The stock struts don't have all that much travel to begin with.
B. Too likely to blow struts.

2. I'd prefer linear springs, but that's more due to what I've read, not actual experience. Do progressive springs really make a difference in ride quality?

3. The drop should also be even, or close to even (back to front).

I think that's about it for now... Please get those MR springs going too!!!
1. ride height seems like it's pretty well covered, surprisingly.

2. linear vs. progressive is gonna be interesting. A lot of people want a 100% linear spring that's stiff, but i'm not so sure they realize what they're asking for. Our STi springs are at least a little progressive, and they work very well while preserving great ride quality. was not possible with the more linear springs that we tried. And yet the car still feels "firm." We will likely try many variations and find something that works great.

3. we're contemplating dropping the front a tiny bit more then the back for a little front rake....and also maybe for a little (just a little) bling. but it's still functional!

Just thoughts at this point.....

Originally Posted by Tak555
(side note, how are customers liking their PSS9s? there's not many reviews on them...)
Call us Monday and talk to Myles.

Can't keep my eyes open at almost 4 AM after a very long day....so bump for more thoughts....keep 'em coming!

- Andrew
Old Oct 28, 2006, 08:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
As you know, I'm all for 0.75" or less too. :-) Just wondering... how much drop did you build into your Subie springs?

I think progressive is fine as long as the starting rate is something more than 20% stiffer than stock and its not a super progressive rate. Seems to me that in order to improve ride over sharp bumps (compression lips/joints) there is some optimized initial spring rate that has to do with the shock valving. Correct?

What's your schedule to start making Evo prototypes?

Last edited by mrfred; Oct 28, 2006 at 08:49 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 03:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrfred
As you know, I'm all for 0.75" or less too. :-) Just wondering... how much drop did you build into your Subie springs?

I think progressive is fine as long as the starting rate is something more than 20% stiffer than stock and its not a super progressive rate. Seems to me that in order to improve ride over sharp bumps (compression lips/joints) there is some optimized initial spring rate that has to do with the shock valving. Correct?

What's your schedule to start making Evo prototypes?
Subie springs were 23mm front and 20mm rear. So .9 inch front, and .787 inch rear.

On the Subie struts, there was some "stiction" if you will to overcome with their inverted struts, so yes, the intial spring rate of the mildly progressive wind could not be too soft.

Schedule.....well, Myles is helping BMW with the launch of the new BMW X5 as sort of a instructor/driver for events around the country for the next 3 weeks, but I'm doing as much as I can here. Good news is progress is being made, and with the success of our Subaru springs you can count on us focusing on the EVO springs now.

Totally ballpark estimate for release date that is somewhat realistic would be early 2007

But of course, issues ALWAYS come up.

- Andrew
Old Nov 8, 2006, 09:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Also, i'm putting together an email list for the springs to give interested people first news on any updates, so feel free to email me at drewatgtworx@aol.com to be added to the list.

- Andrew
Old Nov 21, 2006, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Also, i'm putting together an email list for the springs to give interested people first news on any updates, so feel free to email me at drewatgtworx@aol.com to be added to the list.

- Andrew
Emailed ya!

I'm liking what I hear thus far. Seems like there's a lot of conversation on the drop. I think in general; we all wouldn't mind a bit of a functional drop. I don't want to have to worry about rubbing on a tire/wheel setup down the road.

Can you comment on how much these are centered towards tracking vs daily driving? Like are you trying to bridge both groups or leaning one way? It sounds like you're trying to do both (which would rock).
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by boomn29
Emailed ya!

I'm liking what I hear thus far. Seems like there's a lot of conversation on the drop. I think in general; we all wouldn't mind a bit of a functional drop. I don't want to have to worry about rubbing on a tire/wheel setup down the road.

Can you comment on how much these are centered towards tracking vs daily driving? Like are you trying to bridge both groups or leaning one way? It sounds like you're trying to do both (which would rock).
Function is key with these springs, but a nice subtle drop will be there for form as well (and for function).

These will focus on providing the best track performance we can give you for use with the stock struts without destroying them. But we've found that at correct ride heights for the spring rates we are looking at, daily driveability does not suffer much either, and we intend to keep it that way with our springs. If we went much stiffer with the spring, we would be sacrificing the longevity of the dampers, so where we are, ride quality will be more then acceptable as will the reliability of the dampers.

Oh and if the car happens to look a little better in the process, well, thats pretty cool too.

Added you to the list....
Old Dec 9, 2006, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Well I've come into this thread a little late but here is my input.

I agree with everyone else 1" max drop is fine with me. I think a good market for this
spring is handling first. It seems like if people want to get serious about track they
have to go coilover. I think alot of us who daily drive the evo but goto some track days
are not always willing to drop the money on coilovers. I think if a set of springs and rear
swaybar could make the evo handle even better at the track you would have a big
following. This is what I'm looking for right now!!
Old Dec 9, 2006, 01:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Duly noted.

Our goal is to disprove the common misconception that coilovers are the only way to go if you want to improve handling.

- Andrew
Old Dec 9, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

this all sounds great. I cant wait for a final product and teasting.Good luck guys.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:17 AM
Former Sponsor

UPDATE: We are getting ever closer to releasing these springs. If you are interested in these email me at drewatgtworx@aol.com

Still shooting for a late spring release, but we've been working long and hard on these.....with more interest they could definitely come out sooner.

- Andrew

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest: RaceComp Street/Track Springs