Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Zero lift vs. front lip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2006, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd go for something like a Varis lip. I bet their stuff is functional. Do-Luck should be too, most of those companies don't make parts like that for the hell of it.

Either that or get one of those big metal undertray things to stop front lift. It just replaces the stock plastic undertray and you can't even see it from the front. I forget tho makes it though.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
the metal undertrays don't much besides allow the flow to be guided further down the car. the fact is on a car liek the evo eveutally you will hit some jungle of car components under the car. later is better than soon, but you're minimizing losses.

a splitter actually gives you a deck on which to build air pressure and hence create a differential.

the nascar dams both divert air upwards and caust a venturi effect under the car, but they do so at the price of obvious drag.

a splitter causes drag too but it's not obvious drag, it would be ancillary, it would increase the drag on the bumper etc. but it also promotes cooling of the components, which the nascar dam would do also.

so yes that lip is the zero lift kit, as far as i know.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Real sorry about this. I'm getting the zero lift mixed up with the front lip on the 9 in my posts.
The pic you posted is the zero lift kit which is similar to the one I have on my VIII. The lip I was talking about for the IX is this one:

Apparently this fits only the IX and actually has a strip of rubber underneath - although I have not seen it personally. I was talking about this one being fixed to the bumper rather than the undertray. I was just getting mixed up in my own typing... sorry...

Trinydex, is the dam in that lip aluminium?
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

If anyone is interested I have the Zero lift kit front lip for sale. PM me and make me an offer...

Steve
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

^would that be the strip of rubber or the actual lip? I'm confused now also - got to stop drinking....
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by x838nwy
Trinydex, is the dam in that lip aluminium?
yes
Old Aug 24, 2006, 01:30 AM
Evolved Member

wouldn't that like spark against the road if it scrapes it? I mean going up ramps and stuff?

anyway, is there a formular (and i recall there is) to work out how much load there is on the dam? I'm looking at making my own undertray which incorporates the rubber strip, but I might go with a larger dam and make it from some plastic if I can find out if it's srong enough.

heck, if i find some titanium sheet supplier, I might make the tray from that. Give it a japanese name and sell it for thousands...
Old Aug 24, 2006, 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

oh, wait. can i just use Bernoulli's eqn. for the pressure (ro x v^2 /2)?

if it's just a flat plate in section, then I assume it will have detrimental effects if it curves backwards at the bottom? Like, it would sort of channel air towards the bottom?
Old Aug 24, 2006, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Air Dam - Zero Lift

All I can say it that a Air Dam works, and you dont need the MITSU part to have one.

See my EVO 8, I made one out of Vinyl "Cove" molding at Home Depot for less than $20. The vinyl is flexible, yet stiff enough to block the wind.

Its only 3.5" above the ground, but it rarely scrapes because it is attached further back on the bumper. If it ever gets distroyed by a parking lot curb, it takes 30 minutes to refabricate.

Last edited by my-red-rs; Oct 24, 2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

^ very cool idea without the hacked nascar look.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

any diy steps or info?
Old Aug 26, 2006, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

oh, wait. can i just use Bernoulli's eqn. for the pressure (ro x v^2 /2)?

if it's just a flat plate in section, then I assume it will have detrimental effects if it curves backwards at the bottom? Like, it would sort of channel air towards the bottom?
well the main purpose of the air dam is simply to create a negative zone behind it... and this causes the air to have to speed up to get around the dam and then also this process is expidited because of the negative zone created.

i think the problem with dams is that they're all drag, there's not one part of it that is not drag inducing.

i'd much rather have a splitter type tray that juts out and catches air. at least that feeds your coolers and some of the drag is used for something good.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

It would be the strip of rubber. I'm asking $100 for the piece, it's about $300 something from the dealer.

It comes with the all the little screws and plates to bolt on.

Steve

^would that be the strip of rubber or the actual lip? I'm confused now also - got to stop drinking....
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

^pmed
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:07 AM
.MM
Evolved Member

very easy solution to this problem

if you lower the car an inch, you wont need the zero lift kit

Quick Reply: Zero lift vs. front lip