Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Zero lift vs. front lip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by my-red-rs
All I can say it that a Air Dam works, and you dont need the MITSU part to have one.

See my EVO 8, I made one out of Vinyl "Cove" molding at Home Depot for less than $20. The vinyl is flexible, yet stiff enough to block the wind.

Its only 3.5" above the ground, but it rarely scrapes because it is attached further back on the bumper. If it ever gets distroyed by a parking lot curb, it takes 30 minutes to refabricate.
That looks really good. I'm gonna look into doing this. Few question though. Why is the center cut out? Are you just replicating the factory version? If it were "full" all the way around would this work better? Again, I've seen that stuff used before for a multitude of automotive impliments, but what you have there looks like a "real" device and not rubber gutter. Good job.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drifto
That looks really good. I'm gonna look into doing this. Few question though. Why is the center cut out? Are you just replicating the factory version? If it were "full" all the way around would this work better? Again, I've seen that stuff used before for a multitude of automotive impliments, but what you have there looks like a "real" device and not rubber gutter. Good job.
Thanks...

I left an opening in the center for two reasons...

1) the undertray has a depression to create a low pressure zone under the car as air flows under the center of the vehicle.

2) the air flow is needed to cool the center and rear differentials.

See the attached .gif that I got from the Evolution encyclopedia.

My-Red-RS

Last edited by my-red-rs; Oct 24, 2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

thanks to x838nwy for the great pics...

I just install my OEM front air dam. I do feel a small difference at high speeds. The front is planted pretty well. I decided not to put the gurney flap/wicker bill extension on, as I fear it'll create more understeer...
Old Oct 13, 2006, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

not a problem, dude.

thanks for confirming I'm not just imagining its effects!!!!
Old Oct 13, 2006, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

I wonder if this kit would have positive effects when I take it out to the mountains...granted I won't be driving even over 60, and I'll be turning all the time....

I can also confirm this kit has no apparent negative affect on gas mileage, since the piece itself induces more drag.