Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Zero lift vs. front lip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2006, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zero lift vs. front lip

Having removed my the zero lift kit from the front of my car, it now feels a bit loose and unstable at high speeds (~120+ is where it's most noticable).

Now I have a choice of either 1.)Reinstalling it 2.)Getting a front lip of some kind (Varis, Do-Luck)

I don't really want to get a full-on splitter where you need support rods and so forth nor do I want carnards. Mainly cos I don't want to drill the bumper and also because my car exterior is stock - it even has stock wheels at the moment - so anything particularly racy might look out of place on my car imo.

Anyway, the question is, will I get the same effects from a front lip like a Do-Luck one as the zero lift kit? The lip seems pretty conservative (which is good in a way) but does it work aerodynamically?

FYI, the zero lift kit I have is a bit scratched (which I don't care about) but the main problem is that it flops down rather often...

Thanks

C
Old Aug 19, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

I know it's the weekend, but a bump for good measure
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
a lip that doensn't extend much won't do much for you. the lips available basically give you some side valences that don't do too much.

what the zero lift kit does is give you a nascar spat in the front of the car. this creates a long running low pressure zone in the front underbody which is favorable. you'll never get that without something to hold air above the bumper to create an actual pressure diff.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks trinydex. Kindda know I could count on you for some aero info!

So, if I understand correctly (and which is something I expected) is that they two do differernt things and the do-luck won't do much in any case - not least cos it's a relatively conservative piece.

Looks like I'll be putting the thing back on...
Old Aug 21, 2006, 03:03 AM
Evolving Member

I think you should just have the zero lift kit back on, not a big fan of front lips personally.. .
Old Aug 21, 2006, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, it's looking that way. I've got the stock wheels back on and somehow I'm enjoying looking bone stock and looking to just get engine mods etc.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

I agree have the stock zero lift kit back on. The shape of front bumper is like air plane wing. The upper surface is rounder to create the lift up pressure. (Reverse of the rear wing, where surface underneath the wing is rounder to create down force). Having the zero lift kit under the bumper will slow down the air flow in the bottom which in turn will create down force pressure to stablize the front of MR....

I am sure there are after market that use very similar concept but why bother spending $. You already have one which you paid...

Just my 2 cents. Dan.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

wait, your profile says you have a Evo 8 MR...how did you fit the Evo 9 splitter on your 8 bumper? Can I see a pic please? thanks
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

^The zero lift kit I'm talking about is just a strip of shaped rubber backed with a strip of stainless bolted to the bottom of the undertray. In section, it sticks down about 2" vertically from the undertray along the edge where the tray meets the stock lip.

It's a genuine Mitsu piece (that doesn't stay on very well!) and I head it's part a 'zero lift kit', the other is the guyney flap that goes on the wing (obviously). I think for the IX they actually have a front lip with a strip of rubber coming down from it. Likely to do the same thing, just looks better.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

^so that rubber strip will fit the Evo 8 front bumper? I just assumed it was only for the Evo 9 bumper.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

seems to fit fine on mine!
Old Aug 22, 2006, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

^ so an issue you have with the strip is that the mounting isn't as secure?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Ah, the problem I have, basically, is that since the thing attaches to the undertraywhen ever it gets loaded (when the strip touches something such as going up an agressive ramp or whatever) it pulls the undertray down with it.
Don't get me wrong, I don't drive into things, but it's just that even a slight contact will sometimes pull it down since the undertray is held on by these annoying plastic expandy bolt-like things that actually doesn't really help any way cos they're held on to yet more floppy plastic things. I think this is why they've gone to a proper lip with rubber on the IX.
If the undertray isn't so weakly held on, it would be great. Right now, I'd have to push it back up every week or two...
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...&topic=25053.0

try something like this. i know this will work as it's a larger version of the no lift kit. and nascar uses it of course.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by x838nwy
but it's just that even a slight contact will sometimes pull it down since the undertray is held on by these annoying plastic expandy bolt-like things that actually doesn't really help any way cos they're held on to yet more floppy plastic things. I think this is why they've gone to a proper lip with rubber on the IX.
If the undertray isn't so weakly held on, it would be great. Right now, I'd have to push it back up every week or two...
So on the IX the undertray is still plastic, but the kit is rubber?

I'm kind of confused now, b/c I thought the Zero-Lift kit's splitter (MITSU WEBSITE: front air dam extention) was a rubber piece...and this rubber piece will fit the Evo 8 bumper. Argh, please clarify.

Is this the "front air dam extention" or the splitter for the Zero-Lift kit?:

Last edited by mdosu; Aug 23, 2006 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Zero lift vs. front lip