Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

I wanna slam my evo! (help me)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2006, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanna slam my evo! (help me)

I recently got a evo9 in tb, i really enjoy drivin it ect..

but that wheel gap has to got to go, i been to the track a few times and seen sum slam evos tires tuckin and it looks good. How is it on the performance wise?
Can this void any warranty? how does it affect the turning? what should i get, coil overs look a little pricey, what about springs? are they good?

please help me slam my evo!
Old Aug 19, 2006, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

the only spring that gives you that "slammed" look is the Tein S-tech. People aren't really fond of them on these boards because they thrash your stock struts but if you plan on doing coilovers down the road and your just looking for that look then go for it.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

i have tein s-techs......and they dont give you the "slammed" look, it gives you a nice aggressive appearance, i have had these on my VIII for 20 some odd thousand miles now and have had no problems with the stock struts.....just make sure with any spring/coilover unit, you get a good quality alignment <------that is the most important, dont worry about what people say if you like it than get, heres some pics of mine on tein s-techs with 18x8 rota torque 35mm offset stock struts.... also use the search button, youll see many evos with different springs/coilover units, i just made it easier for you

Old Aug 19, 2006, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

I have a set of tien springs that have been on my V111 for about 10k miles, Shoot me an offer in a PM if you want them, I loved the look of them and yes any time you lower the center of gravity and tighten things up a bit you are going to get an increase in performance.

Nothing of what a coilover suspension will do for you though. They are incredible.... Just installed a set of Buddy Club Racing spec, they are pure SWEETNESS....
Old Aug 19, 2006, 09:54 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone who has gone from the S-techs to the Megan coilovers has raved about how much better the ride is. Most of them are on the 8k/6k Street versions, but one of my customers who actually competes is on the 12k/10k race set and swears on full soft they ride better than S-techs also. Megans are hard to beat bang for the buck also...

Something to think about...
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Don't buy the tein S-techs. Although they lower the car they also hurt handling.

Some good springs are Tanabe GF210's, and the Hotchkis which I have and like a lot.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

just search around, lots of reviews. to sum it up seems like swifts and espriler (sp?) gt springs are the way to go. if your stuck on tein i say h-tech.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

If you slam your car, it will eventually ruin your shocks unless you buy real ride-height adjustable coilovers.

And from a handling standpoint, going too low can be very bad because if you bottom out on a bumpy turn your tires will lose contact with the road and depending on the track that could pretty much be the end of your race day.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

"Slamming" a car, especially one such as the Evo, will throw off all that suspension geometry that those engineers worked so hard on to make the Evo what it is today.

Your solution:
1. sell evo
2. buy civic
3. slam, wing, sticker away..
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

+1 ^^ btw im in the process of getting a nice coilover package, ill sell you my s-techs for cheap
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

the hotchkis lowering springs are perfect....really. they handle great and the car looks awesome.

Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

If you're into more than just appearance, look at Swift or Espelir springs.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Megan Racing has new lowering springs out that lower 2.0" in the front and 1.9" in the rear as apposed to Tein S-Techs 0.9" in the rear. They also have higher spring rates as well, but I don't remember what they were. Check out lancer shop. They've got them for $99. A good cheap temporary solution if you ask me.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:21 PM

I think Hotchkis looks the best, especially w/ a set of 18"s but not sure about the ride quality.

Swift/works springs get good reviews and give you more of an even drop.

May have to purchase camber plate when purchasing springs. Just something to think about. May be less hassle to purchase coilover to adjust camber/height/dampening.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 03:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we recommend using SWIFT springs. These are perfect for any model year GSR and MR EVOs. The springs are light weight, perfectly engineered and balanced when they are properly installed and aligned.

Quick Reply: I wanna slam my evo! (help me)