Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

tanabe gf210 possible problem

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2006, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tanabe gf210 possible problem

whats up guys. i recently bought the tanabe gf210's off of a friend cuz he sold his evo before he had the chance to even put them on. i had them installed today, but im getting a clunk everytimei turn the wheel to the left. i looked at the spring itself and it looks like the 3 first coils are pretty much pushed up against eachother which is causing the noise. just then i realized he had an evo9 and i have an 8. i looked on their site if it was different but i dont think it is. its only the left side. any thoughts? cud it be a different size spring? and either way u put on the front springs, its the same.

any thoughts wud be great
Old Aug 22, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have them in my 05 evo 8 with no problems, maybe you put the springs in wrong, and they arent seated right in the strut ?? check the groove they are supposed to sit in.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 05:43 PM
Account Disabled

that happened when i installed mine, it was because one of them didnt seat properly...its an easy fix....only took me about 15 minutes
Old Aug 22, 2006, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

^high probability that it is not seated properly, as stated above^ I would get it checked out asap.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 02:18 PM
Account Disabled

they are not seated properly. You need to make sure the edge of the spring is resting against the small "hump" in the lower spring seat on the strut - very easy to fix. Raise the car in the air so the wheels are off the ground and spin the spring till it won't spin anymore. You'll notice on the lower spring seat a raised bump - the edge of the spring sits against that
Old Aug 28, 2006, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Always make sure that the springs are seated properly when installing, as an improperly seated spring is going to exhibit slightly different handling characteristics and may put unnecessary stress on the shock piston.

In the majority of cases, there is no need to worry about any damage, and the sound is merely an annoyance. Drive safe!

Old Jun 9, 2007, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

I'm having the same problem and can't seem to fix it, can I spin the spring while everything is still bolted to the car?
Old Jun 9, 2007, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
they are not seated properly. You need to make sure the edge of the spring is resting against the small "hump" in the lower spring seat on the strut - very easy to fix. Raise the car in the air so the wheels are off the ground and spin the spring till it won't spin anymore. You'll notice on the lower spring seat a raised bump - the edge of the spring sits against that
+1
Old Jun 9, 2007, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

my tanabes did the same thing...just get them reinstalled
Old Jun 9, 2007, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Mine did it at first but quit after driving it for 50 miles or so...i dunno
Old Jun 9, 2007, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tanabe USA
Always make sure that the springs are seated properly when installing, as an improperly seated spring is going to exhibit slightly different handling characteristics and may put unnecessary stress on the shock piston.

In the majority of cases, there is no need to worry about any damage, and the sound is merely an annoyance. Drive safe!

hey tanabe...why do your springs sit funny is there some trick to getting them seated... my old hotchkis' went in perfect and my friends teins did also...i spent 30 min trying to figure out how they sit and after i put them back in i had to take them back out and get someone who had done them before to do it...oh BTW my car rides better than ever with these in correctly...much better than the hotchkis or my friends teins...
Old Jun 9, 2007, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I twisted the spring and it just spun 360 degrees and didn't seat into any hump/knotch...I loosened the top nut so I could twist it but for some reason it didn't catch on anything...any ideas?

I'm going to try again tomorrow but it's really frustrating!
Old Jun 10, 2007, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SPANKED
I twisted the spring and it just spun 360 degrees and didn't seat into any hump/knotch...I loosened the top nut so I could twist it but for some reason it didn't catch on anything...any ideas?

I'm going to try again tomorrow but it's really frustrating!
are you sure they are not upside down? as stated before, on the bottom spring seat there is a lip that the bottom of the spring fits up against.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo150
are you sure they are not upside down? as stated before, on the bottom spring seat there is a lip that the bottom of the spring fits up against.
Definitely not upside down...I tried spinning it again and I think I fixed it...thanks for the help everyone...I'll drive it around some more and see if it's definitely ok.

I think I messed up the bottom rubber dust protector that's on the bottom perch when I was twisting the spring...it looks crooked...you think I should take the strut apart again and realign it or should I be alright?
Old Jun 10, 2007, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

you should probably fix the boot. it helps protect the strut shaft.