Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ohlins Vs DMS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

oops
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eddie
Now I will say that this particular DMS50 kit was setup by Rob Fuller at Robispec, to his custom settings so all DMS50's might not be created equal.
If it was my coin, I'd buy the DMS50's, shipped them to Robispec or John Mueller at Muellerized.com for a custom valve job. But that's me. cheers,
FYI, neither John Mueller or Robert Fuller revalve DMS... this is a service that can only be performed by DMS NA and DMS AU... What they are doing is using their 'personal' Bump and Rebound settings (and preload and alignment) to achive the results that you are speaking of...

The Biggest advantage to any suspension set up is having a qualified person who can make positive changes that will decrease your lap times... if you are dealing with people who are setting up your cars and they are not sharing what they are doing, it will be very hard for you to move forward with suspesnion setup without them, which is far from an ideal service... What you should really look for is someone that is qualified to setup your car and, if you are interested, will walk you through the process so that you can understand what adjustments you will need to make for given situations (set up rarely has a 'one size fits all tracks/conditions)... so if you don't gain anything from having your car setup, besides "this is what i use for person X, so it's exactly what you will want), then you are wasting your money...

back on subject... Don't you think it would be a little more fair to compare apples to apples... say, DMS triple adjustable to Ohlins GpN?

and i'll be honest and tell you that this isn't the best forum to find advice on either of those suspensions... why don't you ask some people who have solid experience (read race miles) on those systems... like specialstage forums perhaps.

-f

if it helps, we've just finished gathering data on the DMS 40s and Ohlins R/T on the shock dyno... pretty interesting data... will be doing DMS 50s and others shortly... hopefully, if time allows, we will be sharing these results.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by eddie
The DMS 50's were originally designed for rally racing with oversized pistons and 50mm of travel. You will NOT hurt this shock! ...
I'm pretty sure that the 50 mm does not refer to strut travel. Travel should be in the range of 125 - 200 mm.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
I'm pretty sure that the 50 mm does not refer to strut travel. Travel should be in the range of 125 - 200 mm.
50mm = 2" = DMS tube diameter
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

CLose enough, but I am still curious why everyone says that the DMS were orignally desinged for rally racing? Does that mean that OHLINS was orignally desinged for motorcycles?

We will post the dyno overlays this week, road testing on the dms 40mm start today with a 13hr drive down to philadelphia and then 2 track session on the return haul next week.

Will post times and possible data logging info as well.

Even I am admitting that I was impressed with the OHLINS results. It is definatly our main competitor.

Cheers,
-mark
Old Aug 27, 2006, 03:16 PM

why cant i find dms 3 ways on their website am i blind or something?
Old Aug 27, 2006, 03:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by DMS_Mark
CLose enough, but I am still curious why everyone says that the DMS were orignally desinged for rally racing? Does that mean that OHLINS was orignally desinged for motorcycles?

Cheers,
-mark
I suppose it's due to the motorsports market(s) the brands are associated with. You guys are well established in Rally (own the market in the U.S.) and Ohlins is well established in Road Racing. Simple enough...
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

I'll buy that, still a mis-conception though for you guys (OHLINS) as well. Each one of us makes each model specifically for its intended purpose, not "adapting it to work"

I will post a new thread later this week about some tests we did over the past month, meanwhile here I will update the website and post a link to the EVO 50mm 3-way setups here in a day or two.
-mark