Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ohlins Vs DMS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2006, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ohlins Vs DMS

I am working at KTR Performance in Mass and can get a great deal on a DMS 50 suspension setup. It looks like they make a pretty good shock but im i guess im a little worried about NOT getting the Ohlins just because of the price. The DMS only has 4 rebound adjustments which scares me because i know there is a significant difference in even 2 click on Ohlins shocks (out of like 30 or so). I am extremely **** about suspension setup and can feel a huge difference in my suspension. While i was doing FSAE and setting up our formula cars suspension i felt that the car was handling different from left to right despite having the dampers on the same click, this was confirmed by our shock dyno and that was with Ohlins which are TOP NOTCH as far as shocks go. I really dont want to spend a couple thou on a suspension system and end up wishing i had spent a couple more thousand for the Ohlins group N.

I am also concerned with the longevity of the shocks, not just how long they will last but how long they continue to perform at a "like new" level. I know with the Ohlins external resevoir and extremely high quality components they will last a very long time before a rebuild is needed. I guess i dont really know enough about the DMS shocks to pass judgement on that aspect.

From what i know i think the Ohlins are my best choice but I'm hoping someone has more experience with the 2 shocks and has maybe driven a well tuned car with both setups that could help me out. Any info would be great I feel stupid spending 7k on a suspension when i could spend 3k but i will feel even dumber if im dissapointed.

I plan on autocrossing the car almost every weekend and regularly road racing it. I will probably drive about 1 rally a year. The cars daily drivability and comfort is not of concern just its handling.

Thanks in advance for any help
Old Aug 24, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

DMS or Moton if you can afford it

EDIT: Get the external resevoirs if you can
Old Aug 24, 2006, 06:21 PM

Damnit i have to buy the ohlins i cant pass up that quality over the price ... I talked myself into it before i even got a second opinion
Old Aug 24, 2006, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pengulns2001
Damnit i have to buy the ohlins i cant pass up that quality over the price ... I talked myself into it before i even got a second opinion
Contact ChronoHunter about this...he did a SIGNIFICANT amount of development work on Evo suspension...specifically Ohlins. He has tested ALOT of others including, I believe, DMS. Super guy...has forgotten more than I will ever know.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the help, ill pass on the motons with their 7 clicks of compression adjustment, They make an awesome shock but unfourtunatly they only have the clubsport available for us
Old Aug 24, 2006, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Ohlins Flag series (Works Stage IV), they are beautiful, but for all I know they could suck because I haven't installed them yet. LOL

But seriously, I have heard a LOT of very good things about them, that's why I bought them.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:03 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You would need to speak to Robi about the DMS... I think they are still his favorites...
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

definatley talk to Robi, My buddy has them on his time attack car done by Robi and they are monsters
Old Aug 25, 2006, 05:04 AM

thanks for the replies and for moving the thread
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

The DMS 50s have independant rebound and dampening adjustments while the Ohlins R&T have a single combined rebound/dampening adjustment.

If you can afford the DMS 50s, get them... If you can get a good deal on the ohlins, get them...

Both shocks are top notch and well worth the money. I ran DMS 50s on my WRX, and now use the Ohlins on the EVO.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 01:11 PM

im talking about the Group-N's not the RT's
Old Aug 25, 2006, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Works Ohlins stage II and i love them. I can't comment on the DMS being that i have no experience with them.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pengulns2001
im talking about the Group-N's not the RT's
what I said still applies.

Originally Posted by chrisw
If you can afford the DMS 50s, get them... If you can get a good deal on the ohlins, get them...

Both shocks are top notch and well worth the money.
I dunno what to tell you... flip a coin maybe?
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

TTT...

Last edited by eddie; Aug 26, 2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if you can find the information youre looking for in this thread ... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&highlight=dms
but I did this same topic ...

Quick Reply: Ohlins Vs DMS