Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: Which suspension setup should I get for my IX MR?
Vishnu Ohlins Setup
46.43%
Muellerized Ohlins Setup
53.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Vishnu Ohlins vs. Muellerized Ohlins

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2006, 02:09 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Vishnu Ohlins! Still saving those pennies.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noize

Muellerized FTW !!
Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robi !!
Old Oct 25, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

So when the verdict going to be made?
Old Oct 25, 2006, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

personal preference wins! woo hoo

all these comparisons are nice and all... but so much of this can/is driver and proper setup...

think about what you are going HONESTLY going to use your car for... then figure your budget... then make a list of what you dislike about what you are currently using (stock, bobby joes super struts, etc...)... then sit down and, once again, think what you are going to use your car for (tarmac, gravel, commuter, street, track days, etc..)... then call all the opinions in town (mueller, vishnu, robi, moton, dms, etc...) and ask questions based on what you have decided in the first three exercises above... then be smart and choose what/who will give you the most for what you are looking for (not who promises, but the one who can spend time helping you meet your desired goals) and this might even be keeping stock (because that might be the best for your usage)...

most of all... be smart... ask questions... find good honest support, not a bunch of cheerleaders and sales people who are full of garbage about this and that... someone who will work with you and your car to help YOU go faster...

and go faster.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
You cant get there from here only saving pennies. You need to be saving hundred dollar bills. $3500 is a lot of cheddar.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 07:08 PM

Muellerized "Wins" on Motons. I was considering Ohlins...both Vishnu and RRC...but ended up going with RRC Motons...because John and his crew stand behind the Motons and will always be there to support me as I grow as a driver.

I trust John and RRC with my suspension...and by default my life. They know how to set up an Evo exactly how you...the driver want it to handle. I have eleven track days on my setup which John and crew did in February 06 and I continue to get faster every time.

As far as John and RRC not releasing setup specs...who cares. I'm a driver...not a suspension adjuster. I run my setup 24/7. I don't believe in a "street" setup...and a different "track" setup. Every second I spend in my car gives me more experience with how it will react to anything I throw at it.

I WOULD GO WITH RRC REGARDLESS OF WHAT BRAND OF COMPONENTS I CHOOSE TO USE.

I'm definitely an RRC supporter because they have worked their magic on both of the Evos I have owned. I still get an ear to ear grin every time I hit a corner...track or street...
Old Oct 27, 2006, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TomsSound
Robi !!
+1
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:19 AM

It's all about the support that the seller has when you have comparable products.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

I would talk to all these people or shops and ask them. Spending 40 minutes on the phone talking with Mueller regarding suspension setups when all he was babbling about was the amount of dominance he has had with his ITE race car was neither informative or entertaining in anyway.

I have spoken to Robi numerous times and have always found him to be very polite, knowledgeable and helpfull unlike lots of people regarding suspension setups.

Call everybody that sells what your looking at and ask them what they can provide you!

Scorke
Old Dec 14, 2006, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can give my input related to Paul Gerrard and his team in regards to the Vishnu Ohlins, as well as some more input regarding Robi and selecting someone who can provide good support.

Paul lives close enough to me that we go to the same track for testing, so I was able to ride with him to the track for some open track testing/tuning. This allowed me to not only get a taste of how his setup felt on the track (with him driving) but also let me feel the really stiff 700f/900r setup on the street/highway going from town to the track (45 mins). Paul didn't talk about winning races - he talked about theory and why they do things the way they do. I believed in what he said and knew that I would have direct, local support, so I went that route. I was extremely pleased with the install, setup, balancing, and alignments, then my auto-x on Sunday re-affirmed everything. I still need to get to the track and see how everything does, but the fact that this was setup for the track and not for auto-x lends me to believe it's going to be quite an eye-opener. I basically gained 3-4s on the rest of the field in auto-x on a 50s course, so I can only imagine what I will gain on a 1:45-1:50 road course.

As for Robi, I would have gone with him in a heartbeat if he was anywhere near me. I have great respect for Robi, and he was extremely helpful over the phone. He and Paul have different philosophies on how to setup the Evo, but they both know what they're talking about and both make fast Evos. He was able to provide me with my race rims and spacers while also letting me know what would fit and how to make it all fit. Again, I would go with Robi without hesitation if I were in CA.

As for Mueller, I have no experience with him or his team, but I still have great respect for him. If I was closer to him, then I would give him a look, too, because I believe that all these guys can make fast Evos, but I want to be somewhat close to whichever one I choose so that I can get direct support. With Paul, he and I will be at the same track together testing and tuning, which means I will get personal, direct advice on driving, setup, and technique. You can't beat that, imo...
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

I'll add to this:

I don't live near any of them , but the kinda support I got from Paul was indescribable - I feel as though he's welcomed at my house every Sunday for dinner

I've heard mixed feelings about Customer Service from the other 2 Warr mentioned I've never heard anyone speak poorly about Paul's support. For the most part, we don't question the performance of these 3.

pls remember - This is just my experience
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI, Paul called ME on Sunday after the installation and auto-x were complete, and we spoke for 30-45mins about how I felt, how the car felt, my impressions, and future plans for getting together at the track. Also, Joe (Djazair), wrote to me from Chicago to make sure everything went well. Neither of them was present during the install, but both checked up on me.

Also, Robbie, the main man for the install/balancing/aligning, came by my house on Monday to do a doublecheck on everything and ensure there was no unforeseen rubbing or issues after the install, long drive home, and abuse during the auto-x. I jacked up the car, and he got under there to check everything and ensure it was all ok, which it was.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
FYI, Paul called ME on Sunday after the installation and auto-x were complete, and we spoke for 30-45mins about how I felt, how the car felt, my impressions, and future plans for getting together at the track. Also, Joe (Djazair), wrote to me from Chicago to make sure everything went well. Neither of them was present during the install, but both checked up on me.

Also, Robbie, the main man for the install/balancing/aligning, came by my house on Monday to do a doublecheck on everything and ensure there was no unforeseen rubbing or issues after the install, long drive home, and abuse during the auto-x. I jacked up the car, and he got under there to check everything and ensure it was all ok, which it was.
Jeez - nobody stopped by my house Ya sure Robbie doesn't REALLY like you
Old Dec 19, 2006, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
From personal experience and from friend's experiences, I would suggest Chronohunter/Vishnu Ohlins over Mueller, at least as far as streetability and autocross go. Don't know if it is still this way, but a couple years ago my friend used Mueller for setting up some autocross suspension because he had the biggest name and "most experience". That's back when he was touting the JIC's as the sh*t to have. After they bought the shocks he would not even tell them what the valving or spring rates were - just said send it back to me, tell me what you want it to do and I will chang it for you. After spending $2500 or so, you think you would have the right to know what spring rates and valving you have purchased.

Anyway, my friends racing team has since moved on to Ohlins and to doing their own R+D, and it has resulted in TWO consecutive National Championships in there class. BTW, their car is tuned by Vishnu. . .

Like the others have said . . . talk with each vendor, see which one you are most impressed with and what they have to offer you as far as support after the sale (not just a history of winning races), and then make your decision. I think Vishnu Ohlins and Robispec should be your first 2 choices. . .

EVOlutionary

Quick Reply: Vishnu Ohlins vs. Muellerized Ohlins