Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: Which suspension setup should I get for my IX MR?
Vishnu Ohlins Setup
46.43%
Muellerized Ohlins Setup
53.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Vishnu Ohlins vs. Muellerized Ohlins

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2006, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fatbastard
personal preference wins! woo hoo

all these comparisons are nice and all... but so much of this can/is driver and proper setup...

think about what you are going HONESTLY going to use your car for... then figure your budget... then make a list of what you dislike about what you are currently using (stock, bobby joes super struts, etc...)... then sit down and, once again, think what you are going to use your car for (tarmac, gravel, commuter, street, track days, etc..)... then call all the opinions in town (mueller, vishnu, robi, moton, dms, etc...) and ask questions based on what you have decided in the first three exercises above... then be smart and choose what/who will give you the most for what you are looking for (not who promises, but the one who can spend time helping you meet your desired goals) and this might even be keeping stock (because that might be the best for your usage)...

most of all... be smart... ask questions... find good honest support, not a bunch of cheerleaders and sales people who are full of garbage about this and that... someone who will work with you and your car to help YOU go faster...

and go faster.
Doesn't look like many people listened to that post! Shame, you re-capped everything important about modifying a car whether it is suspension, or not!
Cheers!
-mark
Old Dec 20, 2006, 05:38 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And still no one has answered the original question.. what is the difference?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bimmubishi
And still no one has answered the original question.. what is the difference?
Damning rates and spring rates.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

I'd give the edge to Vishnu's Ohlins if these were my only 2 choices. However in this price range I'd use Robi's KW Variant 3 clubsports/competition 2 ways, just cause you have SOO much more flexibility with a 2 way damper. Both Vishnu's and Mueller's Ohlins are single adjustable.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

I was under the impression that you could get the Flag model (dual adjust) from Vishnu also. I could be wrong, been a while since I looked into it.

I got mine from Works, then had them set to custom autocross specific specs.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

no Vishnu's are only single adjustable. Their custom valved which helps, but it still leaves quite a bit on the table. For a street/track setup they'de be fine, but when I was shopping coilovers I wanted a street/track/drag setup and it's hard to get the best of all three with a single adjustable damper.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

i loves my vishnu ohlins. I had jic flta 2s, and tein flex before. ( i know these are not on par with the ohlins, but the difference is amazing) The jics were like riding on a welded suspension, and teh flex was way too soft of a ride for track use. The vishnu ohlins were fantastic, and the ride quality on the street reminded me of that of the m3 i drove before my evo. The suspension wasnt overly harsh and unforgiving, yet on the track there was no body roll and the car was flat and solid under pretty much any situation. I guess it takes lots of time on shock dyno and tons of laps with Paul at the helm to get the perfect balance of street and track drivability.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 03:19 AM
Account Disabled

What specifically is changed from one to the other? "Damping and spring rates" are beginning to narrow-in.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bimmubishi
What specifically is changed from one to the other? "Damping and spring rates" are beginning to narrow-in.
Specifically it is the damning and spring rates. That is the only anwer you will get unless you buy both to find out each vendor's "secret formula". After you buy both you can just look at them to get the spring rates and sizes, but you will have run it on a shock dyno to see what dampning curves they use. Then you will have to take it apart to see which shims they use to get that damning curve.

Both vendors have put alot of time and money into coming up with what they feel is optimal. I can almost guarantee you that they will not just give you the full specs - because then you could just buy the shocks from ANY vendor and have them set up to Vishnu or Mueller specs.

Just like asking the difference between a Dynoflash reflash and a Turbotrix reflash. What's different? Timing and fuel trims. That is as specific as you will get, unless you buy both and compare them. They are not going to give you their secrets for free. . .

So, how do you make a decision on which shocks to get? Talk with both vendors. Talk with Chronohunter. Talk with Robi. Talk with Mueller. Go with whichever one you like more or feel more comfortable with. All 3 setups will get the job done for you. . .

EVOlutionary
Old Dec 23, 2006, 06:22 PM
Account Disabled

If individual vendors feel that they have the 'secret formula' then full disclosure of specific changes shouldn't be a problem at all as none should be interested in the other's.

I know that there's a level of secrecy that accompanies development but no vendor could say that they have the optimal setup if comparison is impossible, or if comparison hasn't been made, especially since we're talking about the same chassis (CT9A) for all variants.

A sort of Ockham's Razor if you will.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 08:33 PM
EvoM Guru

[QUOTE=EVOlutionary;3777656]I was under the impression that you could get the Flag model (dual adjust) from Vishnu also. I could be wrong, been a while since I looked into it.
[QUOTE]

you are right we'll do the mods to any of the Ohlins. We recommend the R&T's because we've done our homework on all the click settings and as long as you do the whole kit you won't miss the double adjustment and therefore save yourself many $$$. Just remember, it's not the amount of adjustments that make a damper good it's the quality of the damping (the specific shapes of the curves and how they relate throughout the range of settings) that makes them sync up with what you want the car to do.

Merry Christmas all
Old Dec 24, 2006, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

CH,

Thanks for chiming in. I knew I had talked with you about them earlier - just wanted to let everyone know that they were available from you guys.

I agree, for 95% of users the R/T will be an outstanding choice. I used them for 2 years, but now have an updated setup with the Flag model.

EVOlutionary
Old Dec 24, 2006, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

I am going to have to go with the muellerized suspension most definetley. John is an amazingly knowledgeable and nice guy to talk to, and he sets your suspension up to exactly how you want it. Tire wear, stiffness of ride, oversteer, understeer, etc.. You get what you pay for, considering that the mueller-tuned suspension is only a few hundred more than the un-tuned suspensions.

I think John@RRE should chime in...
Old Jan 9, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Looks like this post got put on my after Christmas list.

I give three thumbs up (however that is possible) to the Vishnu Ohlins. When all is said and done I like the 'one' adjuster functionality. Damping and rebound have been setup 'in-balance' for the EVO and I don't have to worry about separate adjustments.

The Dyno testing Paul and Joe have done have been literally to aerospace standards and then some. I trust the product they've developed for Vishnu.

So .. if you haven't made your decision just yet, hopefully this small review helps.

~j.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 01:28 AM
Evolved Member

Ohlins are pimp no question. With that said DMS is world class as well and very highly respected in the rally community. I know multiple pro rally teams that run DMS with very good results and would not hesitate to use them on any of my own cars.

In the end I think as has been pointed out, one needs to figure out how you use your car, what you want it to do and how much you care to spend. If you want something special you honestly need to work with a company that will take time to talk to you about your needs, your car and your style of driving and then help build a system to suit your needs.