Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: Which suspension setup should I get for my IX MR?
Vishnu Ohlins Setup
48.94%
Muellerized Ohlins Setup
51.06%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Vishnu Ohlins vs. Muellerized Ohlins

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2006, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nils
Luffy, instead of focusing on what is 'fastest' you need to explain your driving needs (ie: road conditions, sort of use, driving style preferences... and on) to get a system that will really benefit your joy of driving.

When you say fastest, what do you mean by that? fastest in a long sweeper or a really tight turn? fastest in a straight line? fastest sideways? You like your car loose? soft? stiff? tight? dont know what I am talking about? .. explain in your own words to us.

forget fastest, think happiest.

n

Hit the Nail on the Head

a side note, I was racing with a guy yesterday who has the Meuller set-up; very fast - we were the strongest cars in our class! However, he doesn't have any info on spring rates, etc.... He mentioned Excellent customer service though; John pls correct me if I'm wrong I at least know my spring rates and can use my OE sway bars

In addition - I made the Correct Choice fo me; Fast as sh*t

Last edited by meanmud; Sep 16, 2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone once told me he signed a non-disclosure agreement which stated he could not discuss what spring rates are on his car. His ego was huuuuge. Come to find out he is a novice driver. Personally I would want to know what is on my car if I heavily track it, to not give a customer information on what spring rates is on his car is rediculous for a "street/track" car. A full race/prep car is another story.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 01:11 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but I was told once a while back by Ohlins that the Vishnu set up is close to the tarmac rally set up as far as the valving goes. I am not shure on what spring rates he uses but I know that my customer has some soft springs for a tarmac set up 55NM front and 45NM rear.. What I mean to get at is that whomever you get the Ohlins struts from, You can always have them revalved to do whatever it is that you want them too.. IE firmer valving for tarmac or softer valving for gravel...
Old Sep 17, 2006, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My take:

Vishnu/Paul will custom build any suspension set-up you want based on the Ohlins. They know their stuff. They talk about 3 levels of "set-up" but in reality they can put together the parts to suit anyones needs. These guys put together pro level race cars.

Road Race - never returned an email, PM, or phone call. Sweet maybe they only like people from California. IP on spring rates - get real it's not that hard to walk over and read the rate off the car when someone is changing tires.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jid2
My take:

Vishnu/Paul will custom build any suspension set-up you want based on the Ohlins. They know their stuff. They talk about 3 levels of "set-up" but in reality they can put together the parts to suit anyones needs. These guys put together pro level race cars.

Road Race - never returned an email, PM, or phone call. Sweet maybe they only like people from California. IP on spring rates - get real it's not that hard to walk over and read the rate off the car when someone is changing tires.
Yeah, that's the sentiment I have received so far. The bottom line is: both setups kick ***, but Vishnu seems to be better at dealing with customers...

But the vote is 50/50!!! Come on guys, you're supposed to help me decide!!!
Old Sep 18, 2006, 08:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Well, I voted. But please don't take my vote as a gimme.

I have owned quite a few cars with after market suspension, and driven another 100 for every one I have owned. From shifter karts, to formula cars to 911 turbos, if it is fast, I have problem driven it. And in driving all of those cars I have found that the formula needed to make a good suspension transcends simply enabling the car to go fast. The other component (and I would argue more important component, for a novice driver) is making the car compliant enough for the driver to feel comfortable going fast. Over the past few years of working with Paul and Joe, we focused just as much on the second component just as much as we did the first.

With that said, the quality of street ride in my car is better than any stock evo I have ever driven, and believe it or not, better than all of the m3s and 911s I have driven. Although, I must admit I have never driven either of those cars with a 10,000 dollar set of shocks.

Tuning a set of shocks for street ride is probably the hardest part of the whole equation, and unfortunately the hardest to show results for...it truly is something you have to experience to understand.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 08:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dumb Evo Guy
Correct me if I am wrong but I was told once a while back by Ohlins that the Vishnu set up is close to the tarmac rally set up as far as the valving goes.
We (Vishnu) have not dynoed to my knowledge the tarmac Group-N rally shock for an EVO. I can say our valving is generally speaking intentionally softer in certain specific areas for performance as well as ride. Everything we have dynoed (which includes almost all our competitors set-ups and most everything off the shelf) is in our opinion too stiff to be called optimum fro the EVO. We have done all our re-valving on the same EVO with the same driver (me) 27 times now and counting. Our first re-valve was what the computer told us (after measuring the car) and in all the subsequent re-valves we have picked up grip on the track and improved street ride by carefully softening certain areas (proprietary ) of the curves. To my knowledge no one has gone this far with the EVO specifically...

It is all very different from what Ohlins does from the factory and objectively (lap time at the race track) and subjectively (street ride) it is all much improved
Old Sep 23, 2006, 12:02 AM
.MM
Evolved Member

works/ohlins stage 3

FTW!
Old Sep 23, 2006, 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

wow ur going to waste a nice set of coilovers on the street ROFL.....if you are REALLY smart you will roll some cheap suspension on the street like Megans and roll the nice one to autoX only so u dont **** up ut 500/corner coilover going over a pothole
Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
wow ur going to waste a nice set of coilovers on the street ROFL.....if you are REALLY smart you will roll some cheap suspension on the street like Megans and roll the nice one to autoX only so u dont **** up ut 500/corner coilover going over a pothole
Explain to me how this adds anything to the discussion? Why not just cut your springs so as to not waste a good set of coilovers
Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

As somebody who has changed out the suspension on my car 3 times now -- always doing it myself, twice with help and once without...

Changing out the suspension on the car is not quite the same as swapping on race tires or putting in new brake pads.

Are there folks who will swap in a suspension just for an autoX event or race weekend? Absolutely. If you've got a lift and air tools, it might not even be too painful. But don't forget that you also have to do essentially a complete wheel alignment each time you swap. Make sure to have spares for all of your nuts and bolts, because threads can get stripped.

For most of us without a full auto shop at our disposal, swapping suspensions is something you generally want to do only when it's really needed.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't say cut your springs.....wtf I said that Ohlins would be a waste to use their life on the street where you don't need a racing coilover.....and if you drive hard enough on the street to warrant Ohlins then you deserve to crash your car before you kill someones mom or something trying to drive like a madman on the street.

All I am saying is that ohlins are made for road course driving. This guy says 95% street and 5% Auto-X. He says the only reason he wants it is

"because he has the money so he wants the best f'ing suspension"

Basically he wants to blow a lot of money on a nice set of coilovers just to have them. You guys act as if a coilover kit is not a WEAR ITEM.......the fact is that it is. Coilovers will deteriorate over time and will need rebuilding which is not cheap. If you want to drive race suspension on the street and ruin them go ahead and be my guest.

My opinion was that if he wants them to last long then use a cheaper suspension on the streets like Megan...and then save the good one for when he really can use the Ohlins potential......does that not make sense to anyone?

And technically if he keeps the Megans and the Ohlins at the same total coilover length...then he wont need an alignment everytime unless he screws around with the ride height.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

And when changing the tires and brakes out already it doesn't take that much time to swap the coilovers. Maybe a couple hours for all of em. He said it himself he is 95% street.....so what that means he may have to swap it like two weekends out of the year and save himself thousands in rebuild cost???? I dont see anything nonsensical about that.

And Atlvalet:

I bet you'd cry to your mammy if you busted a set of ohlins and realized that they weren't meant for street duty. Don't act as if you can spend 3000-5000 on coilovers a year or whenever it is they blow out.

Most inexperienced people think they are buying a one time purchase when buying a suspension which can be true if they take care of it, but alot of you drive it on the street and then cry when it breaks or leaks and complain to evoM.

Suspension is a wear item just as much as tires, pads, transmission.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 01:41 PM

The nice thing when you buy top shelf coilovers is they can be rebuilt. I learned this lesson the hard way, starting on Koni's. You throw those out when they're done. Over time, the Ohlins pay themselves off. On top of that, you can get them revalved for your application, where as the lower ones, you're stuck with the valving and hopefully it is matched pretty well to the spring rate. Ohlins aren't just for road racing, they can be made that way, but it depends on what you want.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 04:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
And Atlvalet:

I bet you'd cry to your mammy if you busted a set of ohlins and realized that they weren't meant for street duty. Don't act as if you can spend 3000-5000 on coilovers a year or whenever it is they blow out.

Most inexperienced people think they are buying a one time purchase when buying a suspension which can be true if they take care of it, but alot of you drive it on the street and then cry when it breaks or leaks and complain to evoM.

Suspension is a wear item just as much as tires, pads, transmission.
Why would I do that? I am fully aware of what comes when you put a good set of coilovers on your car.

Do you really think that a set of Ohlins will "blow out" within a year? With mostly street driving? Get real.

Quick Reply: Vishnu Ohlins vs. Muellerized Ohlins