Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

downside to running Motul RBF600 on street?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2006, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
downside to running Motul RBF600 on street?

Are there any critically bad or minor disadvantages for using racing-grade brake fluids like Motul RBF600 fluid for everyday use? I'll be driving in cold climates as well.

Last edited by mdosu; Sep 18, 2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Typically high boiling points also means more susceptible to absorbing water/moisture as well. That would be about the only disadvantage I can think of
Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

I haven't had any problems I used it in the VIII and now in the IX. But I bleed it often anyway

Last edited by kreionic; Sep 22, 2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I concur - It shouldn't remain in your system for more than a few months, max.
Most people that change their own fluid and use Motul bleed the system religiously (multiple times a summer) then run something else in colder seasons.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

I thought the Motul fluid was BETTER when it came to not absorbing water?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
no it absorbs it more. that's the only defect of the fluid. it'll corrode parts due to the retention of moisture.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Is there a good fluid that I can run during the winter?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i ran this fluid all summer. beet the **** out of my car and no problems. guess i will bleed it out and put new in.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mdosu
Is there a good fluid that I can run during the winter?
Yeah, OEM fluid. I think it's a Dot3. Should be PLENTY for winter use.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 03:26 PM
Silver Sponsor

The motul really needs to be bleed more often.

The ATE super blue says you can run it for up to 3 years. I would still bleed it more often then that especially if you track your car at all. It is a good alternative because it still has a high boiling point.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

I called and asked a service rep about mtul 600, they said you do not need to change it any more frequently than normal OEM DOT3 or 4. Also was told that unless you have a leak or are opening the resovoir often, it will not absorb anymore water than normal DOT 3. I never heard of changing it more than once a year at the earliest or @ a two year intervel
Old Sep 20, 2006, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
hmmm now we need more info.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:27 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sgt Blamo
I called and asked a service rep about mtul 600, they said you do not need to change it any more frequently than normal OEM DOT3 or 4. Also was told that unless you have a leak or are opening the resovoir often, it will not absorb anymore water than normal DOT 3. I never heard of changing it more than once a year at the earliest or @ a two year intervel
I am not sure I believe him. Brake fluid is hydroscopic for a reason. Your brake see a pretty good amount of water just leaking through the boots and seals. If it did not absorb this water your braking system would rust.

Racing brake fluids are famous for being more hydroscopic then your standard brake fluid. I am not sure if this is due to them having a higher boiling point but it is a FACT that when I have a car in here I have to change the Motul fluid before I have to change the ATE. I have tried both fluids on different cars and had many cars switch from one fluid to the other and seen the same results. While this may not be the most controlled experiment it is proof enough for me.

Also to let people know I am not biased I sell both the Motul and ATE super blue. I would make more money selling everyone motul because it takes 2x as many bottles to fill the same volume as ATE.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

I never knew that Motul would absorb water quicker... makes sense tho.. guess it's time for me to bleed and put some OEM fluid back in for the winter... Good thread
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Consider tolerences.
I drive year round, winter rally in the winter and road course in the summer. I have stock calipers and high performance street pads. I use brake cooling ducts and Racing Brake 2 piece rotors.
Even with R compunds and standing on my brake (*** off seat) decelerating from 140mph, I don't boil my ATE. The boiling point, or tolerence, of the fluid exceeds my needs - Motul would be overkill.

On the other hand, if I didn't put Motul in my old Audi that I took to about 6 track events a summer, I'd boil the fluid, including ATE.

I currently use ATE year round because it's readily available and it hasn't let me down in my current application. Price is not much of an issue because I don't go through much fluid in a given year.

Quick Reply: downside to running Motul RBF600 on street?