Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Swift or Hotchkis springs?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2006 | 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Swift or Hotchkis springs?

I've been researching about springs a lot and I know most people will suggest to save more money and buy coilovers. I don't track my car at all, I just drive fast, so I don't find smart to spend that much in something that was designed for a different purpose, so srpings is my choice. Now if we focus on springs people will suggest either Swifts or Espelir. After reading about them I think Swifts are better overall, but on the other hand most Evo owners with aftermarket springs use Hotchkis. So my question is for those who have experience with these 2 springs: are Swifts really that better (than Hotchkis) to justify the almost $100 difference?

I think both springs have the same drop and ride smoother than stock, am I right? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2006 | 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

I dont think any lowering springs are going to ride smoother than stock! The swifts do however ride very close to stock. I have no experience with the hotchkis springs.
Old Sep 21, 2006 | 09:29 PM
Former Sponsor

We have been very happy with the Swifts. Ride quality is great and the drop is nearly perfect. They are one of the best springs available for use with the stock struts.

-Dan
Old Sep 21, 2006 | 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

i have hotchkis springs and i love them the ride quality is +++++ almost stock but they handle great and the drop is awesome HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Old Sep 21, 2006 | 10:39 PM
Former Sponsor

I've ridden on the hotchkis springs.....ride was surprisingly decent. DEFINITELY soft. but decent ride. If performance was a concern I would not choose them.

Swifts are much more my kind of spring. Ride quality is still very good, and performance does improve.

- drew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Sep 22, 2006 at 07:48 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2006 | 11:03 PM

bump for some more opinions
Old Sep 22, 2006 | 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

I was in the same prediciment a few months ago and decided to go with the Swift's and honestly wouldn't have done it any other way. The ride great, freaking awesome stance and performance is great. I dont know to many suspension technical terms but comparing the car to stock and then with these springs was pretty solid improvement. Ride quality improved too.
Old Sep 22, 2006 | 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

WOW you guys are killing me... I've been trying to make a decision on whether or not to get the Hotckiss springs or not and yesterday I ordered them finally with the knowledge that they wouldn't neccessarily help my handling but will lower the car to nice respectfull height with minimal issues with stock struts and now there is another contender to take into consideration that I never even knew about. Can anyone post pics of Swift springs on the car and can give an honest opinion on the differences they have seen personally between the two? I mean not I heard blah blah blah.... or the Swifts are the best because thats what I have.... a real honest opinion on the difference to how they make the car handle/look from stock. I love the handling the car has and for now don't want to invest in a full coilover system but I want to the car to look lower and more aggressive and everyone raved about the Hotckiss springs and rear sway combo. What should I do now....? HELP GUYS! give me some good info to help re-make my decision.

Joe
Old Sep 22, 2006 | 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

OMG - you guys are killing me. Getting any lowering springs is going to stiffen up the ride. Period. Both of your choices aren't going to be close to stock - no way. Think about it - you are lowering the ride height. This means there is less spring to work with. In order to keep the car from bottoming out, the spring must be stiffer.

Some will say their springs are progressive and the ride quality is nicer. This might be true, but it still won't be as smooth as stock. All springs will ride harsher.

I had the Hotchkis springs with the sway bar. They were nice at first. I liked the increased handling. There was less body roll. However, they ultimately were too stiff for a daily commuter. According to what I've heard & read, the Swifts are even stiffer.

One option you may want to consider is to look for a set of MR Bilsteins and get the Swift springs or go with the Robispec springs. The Bilsteins are superior to the KYBs and the ride quality will be better despite the lowering springs.

One more thing - the Hotchkis springs did give the car a very aggressive look that I liked. 1.5 in the front and 1.0 in the rear.
Old Sep 22, 2006 | 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=swift+springs

If you want springs and don't care if you car is "slammed" get Swift Springs. I ran them for over a year, until I could afford some good coilovers. Swifts are pretty much the best springs I've ran when comparing to all the springs I had on several Subarus. Given the Evo struts seem to handle springs better (less bumpy). They ride pretty smooth, keep in mind they are a lowering spring. When going over constant bumps like on a bridge it can be a bit bouncy (dont think honda cut spring bouncy) but its minimal. Paired with a larger rear sway bar I'm sure body roll would have been a bit less. The ride height is near perfect for everyday driving. If I couldnt run my KW V3's I would go back to Swifts, or maybe Robi's spring that is coming out.

Last edited by ashumo; Sep 22, 2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2006 | 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for your reply... I understand that springs will usually stiffen the ride quality considerably and thats not my dilema. I don't think I mention anything about firmness in ride as one of the issues. This isn't my first rodeo and I know what to expect, my problem is I want to lesson the ill effects of throwing on just a set of springs on my car. So if there is a spring that doesn't hurt performance and gives me a good look for now until I decide to step up to a set of coilovers then great. From my research in the past I read that the Hotckiss actally made the ride a little nicer since the let up on the spring rate for the fronts only getting rid of some of the natural bounce the cars have stock. At the time it was a choice to make between the Tein S and Hotckiss but everything I read told me that the Teins' were great for that slammed look but killed the handling of the car and I def. don't want to do that just to make it look better. The main reason for most of us to buy these cars was because of its reputaion of being a fast car but also for being one hell of a handler. With that said... if the Swift springs add to the handling more so then the Hotckiss and have the same look then its a no brainer I guess. Now I'm just waiting for someone with some suspension knowledge to chime in and tell me what they think about the differences first hand. BTW for those who my know off the tops of your heads... what is the drop with teh Swift springs as opposed to the Hotckiss?

Thanks,

Joe
Old Sep 22, 2006 | 09:55 PM

From JUST reading what's on this forum, I would buy the swift springs if i was going to purchase springs. Just my 2 cents
Old Sep 22, 2006 | 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Run the Hotchkis springs since you already bought them. Wait a few weeks, if you dont like them buy the Swifts. Then sell the others local.
Old Sep 22, 2006 | 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Well the thing is I ordered them along with the rear sway but there not in stock with the place I ordered them from. They said they are waiting on a big shipment from Hotckiss and should have them in 2 weeks so I could cancell the order on Monday since they didn't order them specifically for me and don't have them now anyways... I just went to a couple different sites that sell the Swift springs and there is no where I saw that states the actual drop so I can compare to the Hotckiss. Anyone know for sure what Swift rates the drop to be?

Joe
Old Sep 22, 2006 | 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

269lbs and 35mm of drop in the front and 319lbs and 20mm of drop for the rear.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=202730

my car in the tread above, the gap looks a little bigger than it should as the tire is a 245/40/17 that is on the end of tread life.

Last edited by ashumo; Sep 22, 2006 at 10:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Swift or Hotchkis springs?