Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Has Anyone Boiled the Stock Brake Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2003, 09:43 AM
CMC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has Anyone Boiled the Stock Brake Fluid?

How easy is it to boil the stock brake fluid? Is it necessary for just doing laps at an open track?
Old May 8, 2003, 01:35 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
If you're going to do a track day, replace the OEM crap with Motul600 or ATE Superblue...
Old May 8, 2003, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

the way the brembo calipers are, you don't even need to remove the wheels to change the fluid.

I am going to the track next saturday.....
Old May 8, 2003, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Perhaps you didn't notice that there are two bleeder valves per caliper. It's a bit more inconvenient to bleed the inner valve with the wheel mounted!

It's always a good idea to bleed/replace the brake fluid before a track event. I'm not sure of the boiling point of the stock fluid, but it is really irrelevant. You should have fresh, dry fluid in at the beginning of each track event. Ford dealers sell a pretty good Ford-branded high performance fluid quite cheaply. It has a dry BP of 550F.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 12:12 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I found it while searching for brake fluid testimonials.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that it isn't difficult to boil the EVO brakes on the street if you drive aggressively. I managed to do so this weekend on a canyon drive. I was chasing down another member of the group in an STi. His brakes held up fine, but about 4/5 of the way down the canyon my pedal was on the floor and I had to back off. I like to trail brake a lot to set up the attitude of the car, so I know that driving style is a factor (the STi driver said he just likes to quickly 'jab' at the brakes).

Anyway, looks like the factory EVO fluid is not up to the job, so after just 2,000 miles on the car I'm looking to replace it. However, I do not want fluid that I'm going to have to change every couple of months, so I'm a bit leery of running RBF600.

-Pace