Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

New Guy , Suspension Help Please :)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2006, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Guy , Suspension Help Please :)

hey guys im new to not only this fourm, but to the entire world of japanese AWD turbo cars, and might i add that im loving every second of it. its a great change comming from a mustang GT. even though i had my car highly modded from suspension to engine, this 06 evo MR impresses the hell out of me. im officially amazed. anyways let me appologize in advanced because ill probably ask a couple questions that have been answered already and i know a few of the guys on my mustang forum were kind of annoyed when that happened, so sorry in advanded lol.

ANYWAYS,

heres the deal , just got the Red 06 MR and im looking to do a couple mods.

from what i understand, if youre going to do the suspension at all, you should swap to a coilover kit or something like that if youre looking to drop the car and improve handling because springs are no good. Is it true that springs are worthless and will generally make your car handle worse than the stock set up? i ask this because i dont go to the track too often, i generally keep my car on the street and in the canyons and i dont like the height very much and i cant really affod a coil over kit. i want to lower the car with springs but NOT if its going to compromise my handling AT ALL on the street or in the canyons. If thats the case ill just save up for some coil overs or something. any good suggestions on springs that really actually improve handling and lower the car im very interested in, otherwise i guess ill leave it stock till i can afford coilovers.

while im here ill get all my suspension questions out of the way, this is going to be a long one guys , bare with the newb haha.

ok so that was my spring question, now i was wondering about chassis stiffening. i was looking at some cusco products. i was looking at the 4 point front chassis brace, the 4 point mid brace, and the 2 rear braces and the trunk strut brace. now , would any/all of those stifferening ajdustments make any sort of worthwhile or noticable difference for my daily street/canyon usage or are they pretty worthless for my case?

last question. im understanding that you want to only change the rear sway bar to an RRE 25mm bar and leave the front bar stock for best handling and large improvment. is this the route i want to take? or do i also want to change the front bar? or do i want to go with a differnt brand/size rear bar? any help would be great

thanks a lot guys. ive heard a lot of good things about this forum and i look forward to many more posts and advice from all you guys.

thanks again !

daniel
Old Oct 4, 2006, 10:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 06redMR
from what i understand, if youre going to do the suspension at all, you should swap to a coilover kit or something like that if youre looking to drop the car and improve handling because springs are no good. Is it true that springs are worthless and will generally make your car handle worse than the stock set up? i ask this because i dont go to the track too often, i generally keep my car on the street and in the canyons and i dont like the height very much and i cant really affod a coil over kit. i want to lower the car with springs but NOT if its going to compromise my handling AT ALL on the street or in the canyons. If thats the case ill just save up for some coil overs or something. any good suggestions on springs that really actually improve handling and lower the car im very interested in, otherwise i guess ill leave it stock till i can afford coilovers.
This never gets old.....but NO, not all springs will make your car handle worse! It's a common misconception for EVO owners that keeps popping up. Yes, springs that are too low, and too soft (springs that are colored green) will make your car handle like poo. Looks nice, but you will be bouncing off the bumpstops and understeering like no other.

BUT thats not all springs! Swift Springs, and a few others, actually improve handling quite a bit. Ride quality also improves, and of course, the ride height is lower. There are many reviews from people that actually track their car and run on Swift springs. Do a search for "Swift" and you'll see that they are the spring to choose if you want to increase grip and improve the balance of the car.

IMO they are much better matched to the stock dampers then the stock springs are. So yes, you could save up and get a complete coilover set-up, but it doesn't sound like you need it. I think you'd be very happy with just springs instead.

In fact, we are in the process of designing our own spring for the EVO where performance is the number 1 priority. Ride quality and of course, looks, will also improve. These will NOT be copies of the Swifts, but simply use them as a starting point to improve upon.

ok so that was my spring question, now i was wondering about chassis stiffening. i was looking at some cusco products. i was looking at the 4 point front chassis brace, the 4 point mid brace, and the 2 rear braces and the trunk strut brace. now , would any/all of those stifferening ajdustments make any sort of worthwhile or noticable difference for my daily street/canyon usage or are they pretty worthless for my case?
Chassis stiffening does make a difference, and the addition of them becomes more necessary with the addition of stiffer suspension. The front chassis braces and the rear strut tower/trunk brace would be good enough for your uses, but it won't be nearly as noticeable as you might hope. Still an improvemnet though. On the other hand, the bling factor these things give your car is pretty sweet.....

last question. im understanding that you want to only change the rear sway bar to an RRE 25mm bar and leave the front bar stock for best handling and large improvment. is this the route i want to take? or do i also want to change the front bar? or do i want to go with a differnt brand/size rear bar? any help would be great
I like an adjustable rear 25mm bar, and start off on the softest setting, turning it up slowly as you get used to it. You could do without the front and be happy, but I have had some customers add a front bar and be very happy. These were usually customers that tracked their car and didn't mind a slight bit of understeer at the limit (safer on a track). It's a bit of personal preference thing.

We usually use the Whiteline and Cusco sway bars.

thanks a lot guys. ive heard a lot of good things about this forum and i look forward to many more posts and advice from all you guys.

thanks again !

daniel
No problem, if you have any questions, just ask.

- andrew
Old Oct 4, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lowering springs will generally be of a higher rate than stock, and often progressive. The whole point being that you can get that lowered look, and increased handling, without sacrificing ride quality.

A set of springs from a well-regarded manufacturer (do your homework) will generally not dramatically shorten the life of your stock shocks, generally will improve handling (lower the car, lower the cg, stiffen the rates, the car will handle better - to a point), and increase ride harshess to a degree.

I'll briefly say that you do not sound like you need coilovers, nor do you need to all those chassis braces (adds weight, costs money, improves nothing for your application).
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Search swift, espelir GT, works springs. Add a 25mm adjustable rear sway bar and you be able to dial in a car that handles that way you like. My recommendation is to drive the car on the stock suspension for a while and find out what you do or do not like. You'll be surprise with what the car can do on stock suspension.

For your application, as others have said, it doesn't seem like you need coilovers, neither would you really benefit from strut bars and chassis braces.

Listen to GTWorx, he knows his stuff ...

Oh and welcome to the club
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Suspension help

Be sure that you get springs (Swift) for the MR model because they will be better matched to your Bilstein struts. Another couple of things you should consider. The rear trailing arm bushings are too soft and allow toe changes on braking and accelleration.

Also, when you lower your Evo you may want both front and rear bump steer kits. These kits will keep a lowered car from darting when it hits road bumps. If you are not a suspension guru, you should consider getting all the work done by one of the well established Evo suspension tuners like Robispec or John Mueller. Both of them can set you up with improved street specific suspensions.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

hmmmmmmmm i just spoke to glendale mitsu service department and asked them if suspension mods void the warranty on the engine tranny and diffs and he said yes. sounded like he just wanted to get me off the phone so im not sure if its true. any of you guys have any expereince with warranty and what voids what etc?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driving your car voids the warranty. Sorry..but its a Mitsubishi
Old Oct 4, 2006, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

lol im not exactly sure what that means ...
Old Oct 4, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Suspension shouldn't void your engine and drive train warranty but they will argue with you. Usually it depends on the dealership, some are mod friendly some aren't ...
Old Oct 4, 2006, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

ahhh yes i just heard of these "mod friendly" dealers from a buddy of mine here in LA. hes gonna school me on that stuff when i get off work. im damn happy that there are such dealerships because not modding this car would be such a shame
Old Oct 9, 2006, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Yea guys, i have been wanting to do the same thing but heard to many diffrent things from diffrent people. There is a shop by me in Maryland called Extreme Motorsports, they have two race Evo's that tend to hit Capitol Raceway and MIR quite often. They have a set of Tein Springs that says they are for the MR, would it be good to go this route and talk to them or get the swifts and just have them put those on?

Here is a link: http://store.extrememotorsports.com/...cat=252&page=1
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Suspension shouldn't void your engine and drive train warranty but they will argue with you. Usually it depends on the dealership, some are mod friendly some aren't ...
+1, they are seperate warranties.

Like your friend said there are "mod friendly" dealers all over the place. They have dealers here on the east coast that sell cars modded out the box and depending what part it is, they will actaully cover that part too! I would research the dealers in your town.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

I've been reading a lot about springs lately and determined that I will be going with the Swift springs. I haven't seen a bad comment about them yet.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

I have an '06 MR and I have added a rear strut tower brace and the Evo RS trunk bar, along with the Works lowering springs... I felt I should get some use out of the factory Bilsteins before dropping $2k on coilovers, so I spent $300 on the Works springs and love the improvement in handling and the look of the car!!! Works designed them within the parameters of the factory springs so the shocks wont crap out any earlier than they would on the stock springs... plus I notice there is more oversteer from the bars I added... I plan on switching to a 24 or 25mm rear sway bar to get the back end of my car to step out even more through corners!!!!

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya

Here is some information you all may find useful when some @$$hole tries to tellyou your warranty is "voided" know your rights as a consumer...

Can an automotive dealership void your warranty because of your performance upgrade?
Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.

This is illegal.

Vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket parts are on the vehicle. They must be able to prove that the aftermarket parts are indeed at fault. To better understand this problem it is best to know the differences between the two types of new car warranties and the two types of emission warranties.

When a vehicle is purchased new and the owner is protected against the faults that may occur by an expressed warranty - an offer by the manufacturer to assume the responsibility for problems with predetermined parts during a stated period of time. Beyond the expressed warranty, the vehicle manufacturer is often held responsible for further implied warranties. These state that a manufactured product should meet certain standards. However, in both cases, the mere presence of aftermarket parts doesn't void the warranty.

There are also two emission warranties (defect and performance) required under the clean air act. The defect warranty requires the manufacturer to produce a vehicle which, at the time of sale, is free of defects that would cause it to not meet the required emission levels for it's useful life as defined in the law. The performance warranty implies a vehicle must maintain certain levels of emission performance over it's useful life. If the vehicle fails to meet the performance warranty requirements, the manufacturer must make repairs at no cost to the owner, even if an aftermarket part is directly responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer cannot void the performance warranty. This protection is the result of a parts self - certification program developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA).

In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the part manufacturer, but by law the new - vehicle warranty is not voided.

Overall, the laws governing warranties are very clear. The only time a new vehicle warranty can be voided is if an aftermarket part has been installed and it can be proven that it is responsible for an emission warranty claim. However, a vehicle manufacturer or dealership cannot void a warranty simply because an an aftermarket equipment has been installed on a vehicle.

If a dealership denies a warranty claim and you think the claim falls under the rules explained above concerning the clean air act (such as an emission part failure), obtain a written explanation of the dealers refusal. Then follow the steps outlined in the owners manual. However, if this fails, then phone your complaint in to the EPA at (202) 233-9040 or (202) 326-9100.

If a dealer denies a warranty claim involving an implied or expressed new car warranty and you would like help, you can contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint, you can call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357), or use the online complaint form. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide.

WHAT IS THE MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT?

On January 4, 1975, President Ford signed into law the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Title 1, 101-112, 15 U.S.C. 2301 et seq. This act, effective July 4, 1975, is designed to "improve the adequacy of information available to consumers, prevent deception, and improve competition in the marketing of consumer products. . . ." The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act applies only to consumer products, which are defined as "any tangible personal property which is distributed in commerce and which is normally used for personal, family, or household purposes (including any such property intended to be attached to or installed in any real property without regard to whether it is so attached or installed)." Under Section 103 of the Act, if a warrantor sells a consumer product costing more than $15 under written warranty, the writing must state the warranty in readily understandable language as determined by standards set forth by the Federal Trade Commission. There is, however, no requirement that a warranty be given nor that any product be warranted for any length of time. Thus the Act only requires that when there is a written warranty, the warrantor clearly disclose the nature of his warranty obligation prior to the sale of the product. The consumer may then compare warranty protection, thus shopping for the "best buy." To further protect the consumer from deception, the Act requires that any written warranty must be labeled as either a "full" or a "limited" warranty. Only warranties that meet the standards of the Act may be labeled as "full." One of the most important provisions of the Act prohibits a warrantor from disclaiming or modifying any implied warranty whenever any written warranty is given or service contract entered into. Implied warranties may, however, be limited in duration if the limitation is reasonable, conscionable, and set forth in clear and unmistakable language prominently displayed on the face of the warranty. A consumer damaged by breach of warranty, or noncompliance with the act, may sue in either state or federal district court. Access to federal court, however, is severely limited by the Act's provision that no claim may be brought in federal court if: (a) The amount in controversy of any individual claim is less than $25,000; (b) the amount in controversy is less than the sum or value of $50,000 computed on the basis of all claims in the suit; or (c) a class action is brought, and the number of named plaintiffs is less than 100. In light of these requirements it is likely that most suits will be brought in state court. If the consumer prevails, he is awarded costs and attorneys' fees. Nothing in the Act invalidates any right or remedy available under state law, and most suits should proceed on claims based on both the Code and the Act.

You can view a much more detailed legal explanation of the Magnuson - Moss Warranty act of 1975 by clicking here.

Sources of the above information include:

Superchips Inc. Newsletter / Car Craft September 1994 issue.
Federal Trade Commission Website.

Customer Service

http://www.usdieselparts.com/category.cfm?Category=1012
Old Oct 9, 2006, 07:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thisonecountz
Yea guys, i have been wanting to do the same thing but heard to many diffrent things from diffrent people. There is a shop by me in Maryland called Extreme Motorsports, they have two race Evo's that tend to hit Capitol Raceway and MIR quite often. They have a set of Tein Springs that says they are for the MR, would it be good to go this route and talk to them or get the swifts and just have them put those on?

Here is a link: http://store.extrememotorsports.com/...cat=252&page=1
My thoughts on TEIN S-techs:

Originally Posted by GTWorx.com
It will look good, but there are many people who have been very dissatisfied with the ride quality and handling of an EVO on Tein springs.

Too low and too soft = bouncy ride and crappy handling.

I wouldn't run them even if my girlfriend gave them to me as a gift, and THEN i'd be in the doghouse for a week. But i'd still want nothing to do with them.

- Andrew.....who's girlfriend knows better