Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

PIC Coilover Review

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2006, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice
Old Nov 15, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

I"m hoping to pick up a set come spring!

Whats the difference between the tso and selects?
Old Nov 17, 2006, 02:00 PM

The TSO comes ready to install. The coilovers are adjusted the same way as the Pure/PIC EVO. It also comes with set up papers. Alignments and Ride height are all figure out for you. You install it and drive it.

The Select come just like what it comes from the manufacturers. You have to figure out ride height and corner weight.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

but valving and spring rates are the same?? how low is the car with the selects?? can I still get a jack under it? I dont want to be slammed on the ground becuase I drive to all of the events I go to.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

The TSO's have special spring rates and valving compared to the Selects, and come preset for ride height. With the off-the-shelf Selects the ride height is up to you. I can get either of my floor jacks under the car no problem.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

how much do the pic coilovers weigh compared to stock?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 992gnt
The TSO's have special spring rates and valving compared to the Selects, and come preset for ride height. With the off-the-shelf Selects the ride height is up to you. I can get either of my floor jacks under the car no problem.
Greg is that like a standard craftsman floor jack? or do yuo have the neato racing lowered one?

I"m leaning towards the tso's would I have a problem with them being to low onthe street?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Regular floor jacks, nothing special. I don't have any issues driving on the street, and less issues than a lot of people pulling into my driveway. You won't have any problems on the street with the TSO's.

lcakes05 - I didn't weigh mine before I installed them, but I can find out for you.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am really interested to hear more reviews on these. I live in the same town they are produced, that could work great for customer service for myself
Old Nov 21, 2006, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Customer service will be top notch no matter where you live.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lexat20
I am really interested to hear more reviews on these. I live in the same town they are produced, that could work great for customer service for myself
I see quite a few Evo's running around Naperville, perhaps I've seen you (or you've seen me!), white Evo IX RS with PIC Performance stickers along the sideskirt.

In any case, drop us a line if you have any questions or would like to see the product in person. Better yet I currently have a set of our prototype Select R1 coilovers on the car, you can find out first-hand how they feel.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 01:17 AM
Evolved Member

+1 i am getting ready to order a set for my race crx and maybe leaning towards the TSO or R1 for my evo can't wait to see the results
Old Nov 22, 2006, 01:51 AM

what are the specs on the "prototype" R1s? just lower spring rate than the R2? or is it something completely new?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

From www.picperformance.com

With the racing season now over, we had the opportunity to fit our 06 Evo RS with a set of Select coilovers and new wheels as seen above, with the hopes of developing a street-friendly version of our Select coilovers that is also well-suited for track use.

With the rates of 8kg/mm in the front and 10kg/mm in the rear, the idea is to combat understeer while not overdoing it on spring rates and making the car totally unstreetable. The valving and rates have been chosen with the dual-duty Evolution in mind, who's driver fully intends to track the car and is willing to sacrifice some of his Evo's streetability for competitive edge over stock at the track.

As the technical opposite of the Select P2's, the R1's will place the emphasis on road-racing and competitive use. While not totally unsuited for daily driving, these coilovers will not replace the Select P2's as the ultimate compromise - that title belongs to the Select P2's still, who's purpose is to strike a balance between daily driving duties and occasional spirited driving or race use.

Damping on the Select R1's has been valved slightly more aggressive in compression and high speed rebound to take advantage of its rear-biased spring rates, the end goal being to allow the driver to get the Evo to rotate more easily at the track. As with all Evo and mac-strut applications, the front coilovers come with spherical-bearing upper mounts that feature adjustable camber, pre-assembled and ready to replace the entire stock setup. Height adjustments are still made via the adjustable lower mount, while rebound adjustments are made via the easily-accessible adjustment knob on the upper mount.

Due to their unfinalized nature, the Select R1's will not go on sale until they can be properly evaluated at the track with one of our experienced drivers at the wheel. These coilovers are not slated for release until late in '07.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but are these inverted? Are they monotube or twin tube? What was the cost from Pure Tuning w/ their settings and spring rates?
Review sounds great. Would you say the TSO's are very liveable on the street. I'm planning on doing some DE's and a few track events but the car IS a street car first. That being said, I rode around with 475front and 650rear spring rates on my M3 coilovers and was perfectly OK with that.

Last edited by Drifto; Nov 22, 2006 at 06:17 AM.

Quick Reply: PIC Coilover Review