Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Help, low speed clicking sound when turning

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, low speed clicking sound when turning

I have an evo ix with 9k on it, exhaust and coilovers...last night I was making a k turn, turned the wheel to the left and heard a loud clicking/binding sound from the passenger side hub/wheel area...paranoid I took the wheel off and found the locking collars on my coilovers had come loose on the passenger side. Tightened it back up hoping that was the noise but I still hear it...any ideas? Its whenever I cut the wheel to the left and make a sharp, low speed turn...sounds like something is ticking, wheel is tight, I don't hear anything in the brakes..
Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you feeling anything in the steering wheel? is it a half shaft / CV kinda sound?
Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Don't feel anything out of the norm in the steering...just searched evom for awhile and it seems like a cv joint, I've never heard a cv joint go bad before so I don't know...its a little knocking sound and as you roll the turn out a little more it makes a ticking sound and its only when its a sharp turn to the left or else it won't make the noise.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 08:46 AM

There is an outside chance of bad wheel bearing too, but it is most likely a CV.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:14 AM

I have been getting a sound too. It happens at low speeds and mainly when I am turning right. It isn't necessarily a ticking sound. Mine sounds like a low "thump" and only happens once. do these relate?
Old Oct 19, 2006, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
If your collers where loose make sure the bolts holding the coilovers in are tight ... my drivers side front ones loosened up on me and made the same sound your referencing .... When I visually inspected it ... it looked fine ... but when I actually went aroudn the car with a wrench I found it was a lot looser then expected.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

+1 for CV joint

Try going to a parking lot and putting the car into a turn that makes the noise. Hold the wheel very lightly with your fingertips to see if you feel any feedback coming through the wheel.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I tightened the front passenger side (side that was making noise) and now the sound went away so I'm hoping it was just the coilover being loose, but I could have sworn I heard the noise after the tighetening but for the past two days I haven't picked up on it...still waiting.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was the exact syptoms my 03 had when my ring and pinion went bad in my t-case.