Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rotors warped to hell need help, please read! quick opinion!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2006, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guestimating with an impact wrench is a good way to break something, granted you might get away with it on your lug nuts but please invest in a good torque wrench.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vennom
guestimating with an impact wrench is a good way to break something, granted you might get away with it on your lug nuts but please invest in a good torque wrench.
yeah, theres one good use for an impact.

Removal. Thats it.

Other than in the hands of a seasoned pro (robi) an impact has never touched my car.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
yeah, theres one good use for an impact.

Removal. Thats it.

Other than in the hands of a seasoned pro (robi) an impact has never touched my car.
I completely understand now. So what about the brake parts cleaner on the rotors? I have also heard of lubbing the hell out of the metal peices next to the pads with thick high temp lube? It may not seem like it but I have been searching for hours everyday on this forum lol Thanks again

-Matt
Old Oct 23, 2006, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Most new rotors come covered with a rust inhibitor AKA grease. Spray on rag wipe repeat with brake clean only and don't be stingy with it let it run off.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DingDong02
OK, I first bought my evo and never bedded in my pads(never new about it) my wheel started to shake around 19,000miles and back pads started to whine and I could just tell that the pads were almost gone. So I bought new pads and got them put on by a friend of mine. The rotors were so WARPED that he had to cut them 4 times each, the last cut being the fine cut. After that I bedded in my pads.

Took the car to 60-15,60-15,60-15... thats to warm them up, then 70-15,70-15,70-15,70-15,65-15,65-15 I did this in a desserted area about 15mins from my house so the whole drive home I never used the brakes. I then let them sit overnight. About a few week later my steering wheel started to shake so I read that maybe I didnt bed the pads in properly so I did it again but more times. The brakes felt fine for a day or so and then the steering wheel started to violently shake along with the pedal and whole car. I rebbed the brakes AGAIN, and then again, each time doing the process longer. Its been over 1 1/2 months and my brakes are horrible.

I admit that I have a habit of putting my foot on the brake when at a light or in traffic.

OK, now for the part that is confusing you all and me.

Most everyone here agrees that rotors are almost never warped but not bedded in properly, correct? So with that in mind why would some of you tell me to buy new rotors if rotors are almost never warped?

^^^^That was the main thing that confused me the most.

My rotors cannot receive another resurfacing because I have resurfaced them to their limit. Hence, I need new rotors. I think I got it.

You all don't have to be rude though. I am just hearing alot of different sides to this supposedly easy subject and it is really confusing me. Thanks to all that have held back the rude comments and have a better attitude towards helping a fellow member out in a time of need.

-Matt

Have you corrected the lug torque?

As far as bedding - street pads are not as good as race pads in cleaning an old layer off as they aren't as abrasive. You could make a last ditch try with some garnett paper and elbow grease but since you are at minimum thickness you may as well just get new rotors.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:08 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
He could have warped all four rotors by over torquing the lug nuts when they went back on from the machine shop... Go to 80 ft/lbs and no more for the Evolution. Many domestic guys have 100 ft/lbs burned into their retinas as the universal torque for lugnuts. A Mitsubishi service department took all four wheels to 120+ ft/lbs back when I first bought the car
Old Dec 24, 2006, 04:16 AM

Thanks for the recommendation to go to stoptech.com guys! I have been beating myself up trying to figure out how my AP Racing rotors could have warped so fast with new OEM Brembo pads. That website is a gold mine of information and could just be the solution to the increasing steering shudder under braking.

Thanks again!