Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

How is this possible???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is this possible???

Yesterday I was driving home with my girlfriend. I had just gone over a very narrow one lane bridge(this is Iceland!) and out of a long easy left turn. Going in a straightline and not speeding at all I notice there is something not right so I turn down the music but donīt hear anything strange. Then all the sudden I feel that I have lost all pressure in one tire and barely manage to keep the car on the road as I brake down.

I get out of the car rather shocked to be welcomed by grey smoke and the smell of burnt rubber.. As I had jacked the car up and got the tire of I got the real shock. The tire was in shredds!! Unbeleavable! Itīs a new tire!!!

Itīs a Pirelli Pzero Nero 235/45. I am trying to upload some pics and they will hopefully be here in a couple of minutes.

Now here is what I was thinking, this is a brand new tire and obviously there was something seriously wrong with it! If it had gone flat 20 sek earlier I would probably have killed both me and my girlfriend! Donīt you think Pirelli at least owe me a new tire??? And should I trust my other three???

I will try to upload the pics now, please let me know what you think and look again after a moment when they are up. I just got the car and I am not drowning in cash...
Old Oct 22, 2006, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Asgeir Logi
Yesterday I was driving home with my girlfriend. I had just gone over a very narrow one lane bridge(this is Iceland!) and out of a long easy left turn. Going in a straightline and not speeding at all I notice there is something not right so I turn down the music but donīt hear anything strange. Then all the sudden I feel that I have lost all pressure in one tire and barely manage to keep the car on the road as I brake down.

I get out of the car rather shocked to be welcomed by grey smoke and the smell of burnt rubber.. As I had jacked the car up and got the tire of I got the real shock. The tire was in shredds!! Unbeleavable! Itīs a new tire!!!

Itīs a Pirelli Pzero Nero 235/45. I am trying to upload some pics and they will hopefully be here in a couple of minutes.

Now here is what I was thinking, this is a brand new tire and obviously there was something seriously wrong with it! If it had gone flat 20 sek earlier I would probably have killed both me and my girlfriend! Donīt you think Pirelli at least owe me a new tire??? And should I trust my other three???

I will try to upload the pics now, please let me know what you think and look again after a moment when they are up. I just got the car and I am not drowning in cash...
i'm sure they don't feel they owe you anything. Was it cut? puncture? road debris?
Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:18 PM
m2
Evolving Member

I think the tire was defective. Yours is one of many Pirelli tire stories that I have heard and seen in the past couple years. Basically, the tires totally come apart without warning. I'm surprised this has not gotten more attention.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by m2
I think the tire was defective. Yours is one of many Pirelli tire stories that I have heard and seen in the past couple years. Basically, the tires totally come apart without warning. I'm surprised this has not gotten more attention.

bingo! I coulnd't upload the pics, but hopefully Kevin can do that for me. the area between the rim and the part that touches the road came apart all the way around!
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

What?!...I think some of you guys smoke serious crank from time to time...Pirelli has one of the best names in the tire business...Ferarri use to exclusively use Pirelli tires on their cars (before switching to Bridgestone) plus not to mention their status in motorcycle racing...Do not let anyone convince you otherwise, the only reason you don't see more of these tires in the evo community is because they are more expensive...Actually, it sounds like a poor installation...I would defintely bring the tire back to the shop you purchased them from and blame it either on the installation or defective product claim. Truthfully, that has to be one the scariest things that could happen in a car, and I am glad to hear that you and your passenger are safe...Depending on how new and where you purchased your set, they may have a road hazard waranty or a general 30 day type deal, either way, this is a defective product that should be covered.