Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

warped brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2003, 02:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up warped brake rotors

well ive noticed an on-again and off-again steering wheel shake and slight pedal vibration under breaking after high way driving and when the brakes are cool. this has been going on for about 1200 miles but because the brakes only do it when cold, i thought it might be somewhat normal. so i took the car in and they said its not normal and will resurface/replace the rotors. they didnt mention replacing the pads, but i know those need to be changed as well.

-service tech did notice "blue tinge" to the rotors - seems like the rotors cant handle my driving, hopefully the next set wont die as well.

- also gonna get my passenger headlight replaced because its slightly fogging up in the inner most corner.
Old May 14, 2003, 02:42 AM
Evolving Member

warping the stock rotors is quite normal. you might want to upgrade
Old May 14, 2003, 02:43 AM
Evolved Member

should just get the RMR slotted rotors, should more than handle your driving, and get the pads from RRM as well... just an idea to save money in the long run
Old May 14, 2003, 02:46 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like u weren't very nice to your brakes during the brake-in period.. yes!.. brakes have to be broken in as well..

be more careful the first 4-600 miles on your new setup..

these brakes kick butt!.. no need to upgrade!.. road and track just made a new record with the EVO8.. it broke the ferrari 360 modena's old record of stopping in 110ft.. our evo8 did it in 108ft!!!
Old May 14, 2003, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

- i did break the brakes in properly.

- the dealer has been giving me a hardtime as to how they would go about remedying the problem. first they wanted to resurface the rotors and thats it. now that ive raised a little hell at the dealer they are gonna replace the pads and rotors.

- upgrade? are yall serious? these are Brembos guys- these are the breaks that people upgrade to on their supercars, why the hell would we need to upgrade these? endless? y the hell did we buy this car if we are speaking of endless? they DEFINITely should not get warped from time to time harsh driving, especially when performance driving in the street will never approach that of race track/auto-x abuse.

ive had discount auto parts rotors + carbotech panther pads = extreme stopping power hot or cold, turned the rotors bluish, but never warped.....
Old May 14, 2003, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

i agree with claudius.

Just curious but why does everybody think that the evo brembos are the "best"? do you guys get movit, AP, alcon,...etc in the US?
Old May 14, 2003, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

A Huge factor in brake warpage is when the lugs are not all torqued equally. So if you have a torque wrench I wouldn't trust that the retards at the dealer would have gotten it right. So choose a torque setting ( I usually go about 95 ft-lbs which may actually be a little light) and make sure all of them are even. That should help at least a little unless there are other problems with your rotors and the like!

Later.
Old May 14, 2003, 11:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by ADMstunna
- upgrade? are yall serious? these are Brembos guys- these are the breaks that people upgrade to on their supercars, why the hell would we need to upgrade these? endless? y the hell did we buy this car if we are speaking of endless? they DEFINITely should not get warped from time to time harsh driving, especially when performance driving in the street will never approach that of race track/auto-x abuse.
Rumor has it, the rotors are not brembo, but made ventilated rotors. The calipers (the most important part) is Brembo.
Old May 14, 2003, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

i was under the assumption that the rotors are Brembo as well...?

either way i will be upgrading to a 2 piece rotor with an aluminum hat when they are available...
Old May 15, 2003, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

the 2 piece rotors are available, i have them since a year ago
Old May 15, 2003, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

where can i get them...? stock sizes...?

got any pics...?
Old May 15, 2003, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

found out today that the rotors and pads are mitsubishi made parts, and like claudius said, are known for being crap. i really like the pads and think they are a perfect set up for the car, but doesnt seem like mitsu made rotors to handle the caliper/pad combination. i never brembo was the best, i just said that it makes no sense to upgrade a part that is "already upgraded". knowing that the rotors are mitsubishi and not brembo, and that they cant handle the pad/caliper - is gonna pay dearly. im gonna be at the dealer every month getting new pads and rotors unless they get it right.

also noticed that the pads are eating away at the rotors, the contact area is slightly shallower than other non contact surfaces. its also only gonna get worse. mitsubishi should just break in the new rotors and pads for me, cuz im gonnna be getting some every month.

half *** breaks are gonna perform.....half ***
Old May 15, 2003, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

as soon as i get the extra cash (my first dollars will go to power mods) and i see the need ill probably get slotted or cross-drilled (or both) and reinforced rotors and better pads (pads might come real quick since i hate the brake dust we get!)..

Old May 15, 2003, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

-i dont mind the dust, ive had 5 times worse break dust from pads before

-what i do mind is having a part failing when it is used how its supposed to be used. i use my brakes to brake, and they are malfunctioning- thats not good

-if your engine failed when you drove it at foil boil for a little bit, would you say "ill just get a better engine" or would you take it back for warranty work? im gonna stick with the warranty work for now - this is definitely a problem that mitsubishi will address- the car is a high performance car - the brakes should be as well

i didnt get an evo with brembo brakes to change the breaks. if i change the brakes, its gonna be to improve the braking, not FIX the braking.

Quick Reply: warped brake rotors