Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

best coilover sys, for 1000

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best coilover sys, for 1000

like the title states,what is the best coilover system for 1k.
thanks in advance kevin
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no more than $1,000?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i hear that the megan ones are good...they're about $900. but i hear that megan is cheap...but i have no personal experience with them
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

I would say Megan is your best bet. I know of a couple of people who have them and enjoy them a lot.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might also want to consider used parts from folks that are going from a mid-price item to a high dollar setup. I got a set of JIC FLTA2s from a trailer queen with less than 1500 miles on them for 800. Check the for sale section.

d
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

There have been some positive posts regarding KSports and Megans. I think the base KSports line can be had for $800 or less and the street Megan line for around $900. Good luck!
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry but JIC is crap. We had an independent tester test the springs on a shock dyno for different JIC setups and they were very inconsistent. The "actual spring rates" were very different than the "stated spring rates".

So that means JIC has poor quality control. Not sure iof Mueller does something with em to make em more consistent, but from what I have seen I would never purchase anything from JIC. And saying that they "feel" good doesn't cut it, thats a subjective statement that proves nothing. I seen too many people review coilovers by saying they feel good. Even if that may be so, what can we tell from that stament???NOTHING
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
I'm sorry but JIC is crap. We had an independent tester test the springs on a shock dyno for different JIC setups and they were very inconsistent. The "actual spring rates" were very different than the "stated spring rates".

So that means JIC has poor quality control. Not sure iof Mueller does something with em to make em more consistent, but from what I have seen I would never purchase anything from JIC. And saying that they "feel" good doesn't cut it, thats a subjective statement that proves nothing. I seen too many people review coilovers by saying they feel good. Even if that may be so, what can we tell from that stament???NOTHING
I think you missed the point of my post. I didn't say anything about what brand to buy. I was only commenting that someone with a budget constraint might want to look at the used market. The example I came up with was buying a $2000 item at %40 of MSRP.

d

EDIT: and why are you passing on information from a third party like it is fact? It's certainly true that people have used them successfully in racing. Springs on a shock dyno? A shock dyno is for measuring compression/rebound characteristics of a damper. I have one. There are much simplier ways of measuring spring rate.

Last edited by donour; Nov 15, 2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

well i can go a little more than 1000. i just want to stay in the 1k range. i know that the bc coilovers where on sale for that much. but not to many people have them i dont think.
thanks for the replys
Old Nov 15, 2006, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

One of the vendors is selling Helix coils in a package for a smoking deal...
Old Nov 15, 2006, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

I'd say Helix DNA's they are $999.00 from Gruppe-s
Old Nov 15, 2006, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Just posted in another tread, the Megan Racing c/o's have been great for me.

Megan Racing Track Series:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=202023
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=180536
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=218678

From mievo.net:
http://www.mievo.net/talk/showpost.p...7&postcount=16
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo05lution
I'd say Helix DNA's they are $999.00 from Gruppe-s
so you guys think that is a good street system, and reliable?
kevin
Old Nov 16, 2006, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

The best mod I ever did to my car was having the MR coilovers, 25MM rear sway bar, and rear camber bushings bushings installed by ROBISPEC: http://robispec.com/main.html
I paid $925 overnighted, for a full set of the street version w/ an extra set of 10K springs. I had Robert swap in the 10K's so I have a 10 & 8 k setup. He felt that the track version was way too stiff and that the 10 & 8K was a good compromise. He also laser alingned it and set my front camber/caster and corner wietghed it. My car wieghs 3165 with a 1/2 tank of fuel and is 1.5" lower. As to their being poor quality and not holding up, all I can say is this, I put 275 EXTREMELY HARD miles on it on the Dragon(Deals Gap, 318 curves in 11 miles) in two days racing sportbikes, Porches, etc. My car never handled so well, nothing could keep up with my car when I pushed it hard. I can push thru corners now faster than ever. My car is very flat and stable, turn in is incredible! The only trade off in having a properly set up set of Coilovers is I gave up some top end stability around 140 and up, due to my aggressive camber, but who needs to go above 130 mph anyway(the car handles great up to that speed).
The MR Coilovers are very well made and I recommend them, but, I highly recommend that you only do it if you have a VERY knowledgeable person install & set them up, otherwise you may have a car that handles WORSE than stock!
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

i think i am goin with the new bc racing coilovers as importimage has them at a killer deal!

Quick Reply: best coilover sys, for 1000