Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

A046s wearing improperly... Help!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2006, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 9K on my A046's and have the same issue.......I rotated at 5K....I am told it is normal wear from the dealer......and I do not expect more than 10K our of these tires.....it's the price you pay for the grip you get........I noticed that the tread depth on the inside of the tire is smaller than the rest of the tire......maybe I'm I'm just seeing things!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SICK SPEED
I have 9K on my A046's and have the same issue.......I rotated at 5K....I am told it is normal wear from the dealer......and I do not expect more than 10K our of these tires.....it's the price you pay for the grip you get........I noticed that the tread depth on the inside of the tire is smaller than the rest of the tire......maybe I'm I'm just seeing things!
I have the same mileage and mine have 4-5/32's of tread left. I have been pricing bfg's, michelin's, and toyo's in a 255/40/17.

"I was beginning to think it came out of alligment from the factor too, but I havent noticed it showing any of the signs of being out allignment (pulling, shaking, vibrating)" ==== if your toe or camber is out it wont pull just wear tires, and if it vibrates it isnt your alignment it's the balance..
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Nauticabri
Allignment was way out,
So was I right about the toe? Did you get the printout?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

My alignment cause significant wear by 8K rpm. I spent big bucks for a professional alignment at a shop that mostly specializes in Porsche and other high end cars...$20K alignment machine. I swapped the tires in an X pattern as you did, unmounting and moving the tires to the opposite corners. I managed 20K out of the stock Advans before being replaced with Falkens. Without a doubt, had the car been aligned correctly from the dealership (factory specs), the tires would have lasted 30K easily. Absolutely no physical signs of a bad alignment. Car handled well, no excessive vibration, etc...only indication is when I had the tires swapped at 5K, saw the wear and proceeded to watch them for the next 3K miles before taking drastic measures.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
ive got the same problem but it was just the front left tire that wore bald on the inside and i got my alignment straightened out..i went to get the car serviced and originally it was going to be $120 for that and an additional $140 to do the alignment?? i think i got screwed pretty bad and they scratched the hell out of my rims so now i have to wait until i get a chance to leave my car there for a day for this guy to paint my rims so they nice again but the guy that paints really sucks because he had to paint my center consol and it doesnt match the original color and it has a rough texture..im hoping that the guy paints them perfect or im gonna b*tch until they get it right or get me new rims
Old Nov 28, 2006, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

I had mine aligned at 5000 miles and it was way out, I payed $60 for my alignment at sears auto where I work, had my best guy do it and get the exact specs I wanted, and have a 6000 mile warranty on it which i can have it redone when i put a new set of tires on it
Old Nov 29, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

I didnt get the print out no, but he did show it to me. All 4 tires were way out actually. I have no idea how it got out so bad cuz I sure as hell didnt hit anything. Car feels the same b4 and after the allignment. So Im just hoping I can get some life outta my A046s before I have to decided what's my next tire going to be Falkens or BFGs
Old Nov 30, 2006, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm at 12,500 and my front tires are pretty bad as well. The front passenger side is worse, I've rotated and done alignment and camber is adjusted good via camber plate on coilovers. I've been looking for something comparable on grip that gets more miles out of them and maybe at least be albe to handle alittle bit winter weather I don't think I'll see any snow we might only see that once a year here. I need new tires now and not sure what to get
Old Nov 30, 2006, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

i had the same problem with my stock advans. toe was off from the factory. i got 21,000 miles on my stockers until the pass tire had a rip on the inside wall of the tire due to continuous driving.... NTB showed me that the toe was off slightly, so its fixed and now i have winter tires and looking forward to getting the advans ES100's in the summer. post pics later
Old Nov 30, 2006, 06:30 AM

im running the stock advans with 20k now, they re only bald on the insides also. when i took it to the dealer for the first oil change they said all the evos they ve seen have the same problem, and that it is due to the camber. im now pricing tires and was wondring if anyone running 255/40 s noticed any difference in acceleration with the bigger tire.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 06:31 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the dealer aligned it for free at 6000 miles. they told me you have up to 12,000 miles to avail of this free alignment. by that time however you might need a new tire. they wanted to change my tire at 6000 miles but the wear was not severe and I did not want them to mess up my rims.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what all seasons / other tires are you guys replacing the stock ones with?

Get more milage more milage
Old Nov 30, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

yeah..too bad you didn't read up on this board before purchasing the car, the first thing you need to do is get an alignment.