Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

A046s wearing improperly... Help!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A046s wearing improperly... Help!

Just recently here I pulled my A046s off to go to my winter setup and I noticed that my 2 front tires wore really unevenly on the very inside of the tire. The driver said front I can SOMEWHAT understand. I know the insides do tend to wear faster, but this seems a bit excessive, and the passanger side front is just ridiculous, its bald on the inside... WHY? What could possibly be causing something like this? I only have 5K on the tires and the car... Tire pressure and everything was always monitored, any suggestion/ideas? Obviously when they go back on the the spring the frontx will go in the back and backs in the front but I'm a bit concerned... Thanx in advance
Old Nov 27, 2006, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Is your alignment ok? I have heard in the past that the alignment may be off on the evos from the dealerships. Also, is your car dropped?
Old Nov 27, 2006, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

I think the camber on the car is tuned a little negative for aggressive handling rom the factory because I had the same exact problem.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Car is not dropped, no suspensions modifications whatsoever... I was beginning to think it came out of alligment from the factor too, but I havent noticed it showing any of the signs of being out allignment (pulling, shaking, vibrating) But I suppose if its ben this way from the beginning of me owning... I might not be noticing it? I'm assuming I would tho. I'm thinking it could be the camber tho, which may not cause any of those symptoms... Im takin it to the stealership tomorro and bringin in the front tires for them to see as well. I just want some info and ideas b4 I do.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

If IDrinkV8 solved his problem by changing the settings then it's a pretty good chance that he is right and it is your camber.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

So basically Im gonna be stuck payin $75 for them to do an alligment and Im screwed out on the tires that wore sh*tty... I hope it gets corrected tmorrow, whatever it is...
Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

factory alignments suck, or are set rediculously aggressive. It's a common occurence though. Also, the stock Advans wear rather quickly. I got 8k out of my first set (same issue as you are suffering), but only 10k out of my second set with a less aggressive alignment from a reputable shop here in Houston. 5k is too soon to be worn out, but don't expect 25k miles out of the stock Advans, even if your alignment is nuetral.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Well I know I'll get at least another 5K out of them cuz my backs look great and they're goin up front come spring and even my fronts look fine still a bit of wear but still plenty of tread outside of the inside issue... I'm hoping to get a better allignment, put the backs up front come summer and re-evaluate at that point... it'll be pretty sad if I only get 2 seasons out fo them tho. At $300 a tire... I have experience with high performance tires from Goodyear to Pirelli to Yokohama and I have NEVER seen a tire wear this fast like this.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nauticabri
Well I know I'll get at least another 5K out of them cuz my backs look great and they're goin up front come spring and even my fronts look fine still a bit of wear but still plenty of tread outside of the inside issue... I'm hoping to get a better allignment, put the backs up front come summer and re-evaluate at that point... it'll be pretty sad if I only get 2 seasons out fo them tho. At $300 a tire... I have experience with high performance tires from Goodyear to Pirelli to Yokohama and I have NEVER seen a tire wear this fast like this.
Have you ever seen a tire grip like the stock Advans?
Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

I would have to say I haven't seen anything grip BETTER than a stock Advan that's for sure.... But I've seen things darn close, for 1/2 the price... That also last twice as long... I love the A046 in every aspect except 2; price and treadwear those are 2 important things tho.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

So basically Im gonna be stuck payin $75 for them to do an alligment and Im screwed out on the tires that wore sh*tty... I hope it gets corrected tmorrow, whatever it is...
If only you lived by me. I would've done a free alignment on your evo.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

That woulda been nice!
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
I know the insides do tend to wear faster, but this seems a bit excessive, and the passanger side front is just ridiculous, its bald on the inside... WHY? What could possibly be causing something like this?
That's toe wear; if the inside is wearing out, it's from toe-out. This was a problem on my Nissan from back in 1996. They strapped the cars down too tight to the transporters causing some toe-out and that would prematurely wear out the inside edges of the tires. On my Nissan, FWD by the way, I ran -1.9 degrees of camber and had nearly even wear across the tires. If I could've kept from spinning them all the time with the turbo, it probably would've been even

Um, back to the point, I'll bet that the fronts have some toe-out.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Well I'm goin to the stealership in about an hour or so here so I'll let ya know what they say.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Allignment was way out, so they did a 4 wheel allignment and I had them switch the tires around so that in essence they'll be X'ed. Beings that our tires are directional and cant be Xed I had them put the passanger front tire on the driver side front rim and vise versa driver front tire on passanger side front rim and come spring they will go on the back so in essence they Xed so my worn inside edge from up front will now be on the outside in the back.... Hopefully I wont have anymore issues.

Quick Reply: A046s wearing improperly... Help!