Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What are you all paying to have your winters mounted?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$453 out the door..... That includes a set of Hankook Ventus Hrii H405 tires mounted and balanced....
Old Dec 12, 2006, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a set of B-stone WS50 at Firestone and they switch out the summer tires to winter and back again for no charge. Had them for two seasons.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Free got them done at my work! Benefits to working at a dealership!
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

$60 bucks..and the WS50's rock! some of you are payin an arm and leg!!
Old Dec 13, 2006, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe this is a little bit off the topic, but here is some very interesting information on snow tires..... http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tires...s/tirelist.htm
Old Dec 13, 2006, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

450 for tires and 60-70 for mount/balance/valve stems
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mdosu
^ my friend that used to work at Walmart automotive told me he couldn't be sure whether he'll scratch my wheels when I asked him to do it for me...so props to that kid he deserved $20!

So I would suggest talking to the walmart kid before taking it there.
So true! Next time I went there he wasn't there. The guy that did it gouged the crap out of some 14's I took there. Didn't notice until I got home.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by justchil
450 for tires and 60-70 for mount/balance/valve stems
you bought tires and they made you pay extra for mount/balance?!??!
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8zip
you bought tires and they made you pay extra for mount/balance?!??!
It's possible depending on which tires he purchased. I was quoted similar amounts for Cooper tires at a Kauffman tire store and even higher prices for Contis, Toyos, etc. There and at several other tire stores.... The place I went to charged me $450 total (including mount and balance) for the Hankook tires I got yesterday....
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

I bought the tires from tire rack and will have a local shop mount them... I got Hankook's (spelling)

I've tried to buy tires locally many times but they often charge 100+ what tire rack does for the tires alone. I'm sure if I bought tires from them they would give me a better deal on the mounting/balancing.. but even then it would cost more than buying somewhere else.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
If some of you guys locally need them mounted and balanced, I could get you a really cheap price on them and maybe even get it done for free.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by justchil
I bought the tires from tire rack and will have a local shop mount them... I got Hankook's (spelling)

I've tried to buy tires locally many times but they often charge 100+ what tire rack does for the tires alone. I'm sure if I bought tires from them they would give me a better deal on the mounting/balancing.. but even then it would cost more than buying somewhere else.
gotcha..i did the same. its almost always cheaper to buy at tirerack and pay someone to mount/balance. i thought you were paying the same place extra to do it.

in reply to the other comment. thats ridiculous! i'd find somewhere else to buy tires. Whenever ive bought tires in the past, they would not charge to mount/balance.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8zip
gotcha..i did the same. its almost always cheaper to buy at tirerack and pay someone to mount/balance. i thought you were paying the same place extra to do it.

in reply to the other comment. thats ridiculous! i'd find somewhere else to buy tires. Whenever ive bought tires in the past, they would not charge to mount/balance.
I've done it both ways and it can be a toss up. Sometimes Tirerack can give you a good enough price to make it a better deal, but I've found local shops who'll either match or come very close to the Tirerack prices so I'll go with them for convenience. For instance, the Hankook Ventus HRii 405 are only $74 from Edge Racing (http://www.edgeracing.com/tires/2354517/) but when you add shipping it comes to over $82 and if you need them sooner, it can be $20 to $43 per tire... So you are looking at $329 or $378 or $468 (depending how quick you need them). Now, you must add mounting, balancing and tire disposal fee to that price so if you need them right away, it's a bargain to get them locally for $450 total .....
BTW, you never get the mounting and balancing for free from any store. They build that up into the price per they quote you. I've been buying tires (and every other car part) for over 40 years and they always add the cost of labor, taxes and disposal to the price of the tires, one way or another... Also, don't forget the sales tax if you buy the tires locally....
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
$453 out the door..... That includes a set of Hankook Ventus Hrii H405 tires mounted and balanced....
Good deal, here at my family's tire store for the H405s in a 235/45R17, which I'm assuming is what you're running, we charge $450.11 with mounting, balancing, taxes, out the door!

We normally charge about 12.50 per wheel to mount & balance low profile tires here as well if you just bring them in with you..
Old Dec 13, 2006, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mac_05evo
Good deal, here at my family's tire store for the H405s in a 235/45R17, which I'm assuming is what you're running, we charge $450.11 with mounting, balancing, taxes, out the door!

We normally charge about 12.50 per wheel to mount & balance low profile tires here as well if you just bring them in with you..
Yes, those are the tires I got. I hope they are a good choice for the mild winters here in Atlanta.... $12.50 per tire to mount and balance is a fair price. I gladly pay $40~$50 just to have tires and wheels changed. It can be a real bear of a job if you don't have a garage, a good floor jack (or better yet, a lift) and impact wrenches. Mounting tires and balancing them is hard work and take special tools. If I had realized that my Contis were so worn out, I'd gotten the Hankooks mail order for the $83 each and probably gotten them mounted and balanced for $10 ~ $15 each... That would have saved me $50 ~ $60... Unfortunately, I did not realize I needed them until too late. I must travel to NC this weekend and I just could not wait for the tires to get here next week.
OTOH, I feel that supporting local businesses is not so bad either. After all, people have to make a living and dealing locally can be better for after the sale service....

BTW, your avatar looks like the dyno at Dyno4mance.... Is it?

Quick Reply: What are you all paying to have your winters mounted?