Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What are you all paying to have your winters mounted?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverEVO8
I've done it both ways and it can be a toss up. Sometimes Tirerack can give you a good enough price to make it a better deal, but I've found local shops who'll either match or come very close to the Tirerack prices so I'll go with them for convenience. For instance, the Hankook Ventus HRii 405 are only $74 from Edge Racing (http://www.edgeracing.com/tires/2354517/) but when you add shipping it comes to over $82 and if you need them sooner, it can be $20 to $43 per tire... So you are looking at $329 or $378 or $468 (depending how quick you need them). Now, you must add mounting, balancing and tire disposal fee to that price so if you need them right away, it's a bargain to get them locally for $450 total .....
BTW, you never get the mounting and balancing for free from any store. They build that up into the price per they quote you. I've been buying tires (and every other car part) for over 40 years and they always add the cost of labor, taxes and disposal to the price of the tires, one way or another... Also, don't forget the sales tax if you buy the tires locally....
anytime ive ever bought tires at a local place the advertised price x 4 + tax was all i ever paid. if there is markup for it, its in the price of the tire which everyone pays regardless if they were mounting it there or not. and yes i understand to add it all up and see if its cheaper. i got Kuhmo MX's for 107/tire plus shipping ($40) plus mount/balance ($60) which after taxes was about $535. or i could of paid 157/tire (cheapest in town) x 4 = 628+tax and no additional cost for mount or balance. actually, every place i called said there was no fee for it when you purchased tires from them. and the price of the tires didnt change if i was having it done there or somewhere else. could be diff where you are from, but thats how pretty much every place here (and discount tire when i lived in tucson) works
Old Dec 13, 2006, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
Yes, those are the tires I got. I hope they are a good choice for the mild winters here in Atlanta.... $12.50 per tire to mount and balance is a fair price. I gladly pay $40~$50 just to have tires and wheels changed. It can be a real bear of a job if you don't have a garage, a good floor jack (or better yet, a lift) and impact wrenches. Mounting tires and balancing them is hard work and take special tools. If I had realized that my Contis were so worn out, I'd gotten the Hankooks mail order for the $83 each and probably gotten them mounted and balanced for $10 ~ $15 each... That would have saved me $50 ~ $60... Unfortunately, I did not realize I needed them until too late. I must travel to NC this weekend and I just could not wait for the tires to get here next week.
OTOH, I feel that supporting local businesses is not so bad either. After all, people have to make a living and dealing locally can be better for after the sale service....

BTW, your avatar looks like the dyno at Dyno4mance.... Is it?

Well, I've never personally ran the H405s but we do sell quite a few of them, and don't have any problems. Hankook builds a VERY good tire for the $$. I have the Hankook K104s on mine and like them 10x better than the BFG KDW2s I had before and they are about half the price (my cost anyways). I agree on local business, it's what keeps everything rolling and like you said hopefully they'll stand behind their work and take care of anything if problems do arise. Also, I dunno if they mentioned it to you but the Hankooks have a really good warranty behind them you can check out on their site.

Yup it's Andrew's dyno at Dyno4mance.. He does all my work and has always treated me great and has provided me with AWESOME work, I'd recommend him to anyone
Old Dec 13, 2006, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mac_05evo
Well, I've never personally ran the H405s but we do sell quite a few of them, and don't have any problems. Hankook builds a VERY good tire for the $$. I have the Hankook K104s on mine and like them 10x better than the BFG KDW2s I had before and they are about half the price (my cost anyways). I agree on local business, it's what keeps everything rolling and like you said hopefully they'll stand behind their work and take care of anything if problems do arise. Also, I dunno if they mentioned it to you but the Hankooks have a really good warranty behind them you can check out on their site.

Yup it's Andrew's dyno at Dyno4mance.. He does all my work and has always treated me great and has provided me with AWESOME work, I'd recommend him to anyone
Well, somehow I've ended up with 2 sets of Hankook tires. I got the Ventus R-S2 for summer tires and now I got the H405s for the winter months. I hope they work out well for me. they are certainly low priced and the R-S2s got terrific reviews in a tire comparo a read a while back...

Both of my cars have been on Andrew's dyno. I too have the highest regard for him and Barry. They have always treated me very well and got me out of a huge mess caused the the butcher job that Boost Solutions did on my first EVO VIII... I'd recommend Dyno4mance to anybody. They are very professional, fair and capable. BTW, I'll be there tomorrow morning to get my 30K service done for my EVO.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

It seems that the consensus is somewhere between 60$ (for all 4 mount and balance + removal of the old tires) to about 200ish$... I wasnt taking into account the purchase price of the tires themselves, as after the first winter season, you need to pay to have your summers remounted. Either way it seems like after a couple remount/balances you end up spending what you could buy a second set of enkeis used from someone on the board for.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Or pay about $20 more per tire than from a major discounter/shipper at Firestone tire, and they will mount and balance them(summer and winters) for the life of the tires for free. Easily making up any difference in cost.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nk1124
It seems that the consensus is somewhere between 60$ (for all 4 mount and balance + removal of the old tires) to about 200ish$... I wasnt taking into account the purchase price of the tires themselves, as after the first winter season, you need to pay to have your summers remounted. Either way it seems like after a couple remount/balances you end up spending what you could buy a second set of enkeis used from someone on the board for.
Even if you purchase another set of wheels, you still have to pay to have them changed unless you do it yourself. I have 2 sets of wheels and tires and it costs me about $30 to get them changed. I don't have a garage or the good floor jack and air wrenches to do the job the easy way. It's much too hard to do it with my resources so I take the wheels/tires to a shop for changing........... It's actually a pain in the *** to change from summer to winter tires. I'm seriously considering just buying something like the Michelin Pilot Sports all season tires and using them all the time.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

i took that into consideration, but 60$ a year is better than upwards of 400$ a year. Besides a jack, stands, and a torque wrench are always good things to have around i guess.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

$20 per set at Tire Rack... I know a few people, haha