Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Corner Balancing: How level do the scales need to be?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2007, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks kekek, come by and say hi next time. And thank you for considering being a worker, maybe next time.

I agree that corner balancing is over kill for the street. But if you are going to do it, do it right is my moto. I also agree how much it changes, we tune our weights for the car to "come in" during the end of race, so we corner weight with only 5 gallons in tank. But yes, very good point, car must be in track trim, no spare etc.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by LDOGGYDIZZLE
If corner weight are your concern, dont even bother if the scales arent perfectly level to each other. Yes a 1/4 can give false data. A half turn on a adjustable spring perch will shift a lot of weight.

As for the tiles on the scales, we use thick garbage bags. 1 or 2 is all you need. Cut and fold. The size should be as big as the size of your scale pad. To be clear, tire touches garbage bag, garbage bag touches garbage bag (why it slides), garbage bag touches pad. Make sure each one is the same thickness (folds etc) because this will make your scales unlevel again. This is very effective and neccesary to allow the car to settle on the scales and you can do changes/adjustments without needing to roll the car back and forth every time.
wow, Garbage bags, i wonder who first thought of this slick idea! awesome suggestion!!
Old May 11, 2007, 03:21 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when you perform this alignment, will it be with a full tank of gas and weight in the drivers seat to simulate a driver?
or does it not matter?
Old May 11, 2007, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you want your weight in the seat, beyond that it is a matter of your wishes. the pros figure the gas tank weight based on when in the race they want the best performance and how full the tank will be at that time.
Old May 19, 2009, 02:04 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
found this

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...orner-weights/
Old Jul 9, 2009, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

I use a PLS 360 degree laser level to get pads equal and then a 2' level on the pad.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Figures...I just picked up a set of coilovers to improve my track days thinking my suspension is about where I want it. Now I need (want) scales, levelers, adjustment tools, ramps, and that's just after reading this thread.

Corner balancing is expensive if you can find a shop that will do it. Seems like a set of racing scales can be a prudent investment vs paying to have someone do it for you a couple of times.

That is what I will keep telling myself while I'm ordering everything...

Thanks to the track pros for the excellent advice. The EVOm forum continues to be time well spent.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

I've heard of people using the garbage bags and the linolium tiles as well. As for leveling the ground, I would go with a simple water level setup that you can make with stuff at home.