Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Cusco Zero 2's - Stiffer Springs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2006, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cusco Zero 2's - Stiffer Springs

Does anyone know if you can get them? Particularly for the rear, within the range of the shock of course.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 08:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
We carry Swift, Hyperco, Eibach, etc. coilover springs. What size and rate are you looking at?

- Andrew
Old Dec 28, 2006, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
We carry Swift, Hyperco, Eibach, etc. coilover springs. What size and rate are you looking at?

- Andrew

I'd like to go 8k, but I don't know if the Cusco Zero 2 strut will be underdamped for a spring that stiff. And I'm not quite sure what you mean by "what size".

Not sure who to ask to find out about what the stock Cusco Zero 2 strut can handle as far as spring rate, I'm not calling Cusco Japan (I don't speak Japanese). And I can hear how the conversation will go with another vendor.... "excuse me, do you sell Cusco Zero 2 coilovers? I'd like a stiffer spring for the rear strut... yes I know Cusco doesn't offer it, but I plan on buying springs from another vendor (insert other vendors name here), so can you tell me how stiff of a spring I can go with?" I hate asking questions from vendors I don't plan on buying anything from.

Andrew, if you know, or know how to find out, or at least if you could point me in the right direction, I'd be very appreciative. I'd like to get stiffer springs for just the rears, and stiffer than the front springs, but I'm one level above clueless about suspension, and that's stretching it!
Old Dec 28, 2006, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

I bought my zero2 r's used. But the previous owner had gone with a custom jap spec spring rate. Not sure who to contact to find actual pieces to the puzzle. But, cusco japan has 2 authorized dealers in the states. Bozz performance and napsusa.com. You wont find individual parts for coilovers on either sites tho. I'm gonna try calling both in the a.m. I'm trying to either get the front dampers rebuilt or buy new. Haven't had any luck on the web yet. I'll let you know how the conversation goes.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Did some more digging. Still need to make some phone calls but here
http://www.cuscoracing.com/img/produ...mitsubishi.pdf
Looks like a few different available spring rates but the highest for the rear is 7k.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CUSCO has custom springs for your Z-2R. Have to measure your spring sizes. Internal diameter and height. Once you have those sizes they have charts in milimeter sizes and spring rates. Anywhere from 3k ~ 20K depending on your spring size. If the shop you ask says they are a CUSCO dealer ask them to look them up in their catalog !

Last edited by value; Dec 29, 2006 at 08:03 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolved4g63
I bought my zero2 r's used. But the previous owner had gone with a custom jap spec spring rate. Not sure who to contact to find actual pieces to the puzzle. But, cusco japan has 2 authorized dealers in the states. Bozz performance and napsusa.com. You wont find individual parts for coilovers on either sites tho. I'm gonna try calling both in the a.m. I'm trying to either get the front dampers rebuilt or buy new. Haven't had any luck on the web yet. I'll let you know how the conversation goes.

guys, thanks for the input. I just ordered a set of 7k springs for the rear from napsusa.com (Nukabe). Paying as much for express shipping as I am the springs.

I spoke with a very hepful guy there (Meng at ext. 224), he stated they do sell replacement parts (ie. struts) for about $400 ea., but don't have any in stock, they'd be special order. Also, on the Zero 2R, since it's inverted, a small amount of oil leakage is expected and normal (per Meng). Not sure why you were wanting to get yours rebuilt, but if it's just a drop of oil, appearantly that's normal.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 09:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
I'd like to go 8k, but I don't know if the Cusco Zero 2 strut will be underdamped for a spring that stiff. And I'm not quite sure what you mean by "what size".

Not sure who to ask to find out about what the stock Cusco Zero 2 strut can handle as far as spring rate, I'm not calling Cusco Japan (I don't speak Japanese). And I can hear how the conversation will go with another vendor.... "excuse me, do you sell Cusco Zero 2 coilovers? I'd like a stiffer spring for the rear strut... yes I know Cusco doesn't offer it, but I plan on buying springs from another vendor (insert other vendors name here), so can you tell me how stiff of a spring I can go with?" I hate asking questions from vendors I don't plan on buying anything from.

Andrew, if you know, or know how to find out, or at least if you could point me in the right direction, I'd be very appreciative. I'd like to get stiffer springs for just the rears, and stiffer than the front springs, but I'm one level above clueless about suspension, and that's stretching it!
Nothing wrong with asking questions....

By size I mean inner diameter (ID) and length. Off the top of my head I can't remember the standard sizes, but I can figure it out for you. You can measure it easily if the coilover is off the car.

You can use any brand of spring, you don't need to use "Cusco" springs (which are almost certainly not made by Cusco). Swifts, Hyperco, and Eibach's will in fact probably be better (lighter, more consistent and true rate, etc.)

If you have the standard 7k/5k set-up, going to 7k/8k will require a rebuild. A better idea would be to ask what you have on the car now (sway bars?), what size and kind of tires you have, what kind of driving do you do, and most importantly, what don't you like about your current set-up.

From there we can see if you need to go to 8k rears, or if you can go to 6k or 7k and do without a costly rebuild.

- Andrew

EDIT: Looks like i'm too late....Nukabe took care of you though, they're good people.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Andrew,

yeah, patience is not one of my virtues. Thanks for the input though.

This will be for a couple track days, nothing more. If it's too stiff for the street, I'll just swap the springs in and out. I'm not a serious roadracer, just looking to have some fun on the track and want to set the car up the best I can. I've got an adjustable rear sway, but the car still understeers badly, just trying to help it rotate better, and hopefully still be controllable.