Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Got nitro fill today!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2007, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tripperfx3
ROFL!!! That made me laugh big time! I know how ya feel about washing your car and it feels faster. Seriously though the nitrogen in your tires is a waste of money.
and has anybody else noticed after washing your car the brakes feel more sensitive?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Slowride, if you read the link above, it says that the good stuff is 95%, that it has no moisture, it seeps out 1/3 the rate of regular air, and it has all those life-extending properties due to running cooler. There's a lot more, too, if you read the articles. One is from a vendor, but the other is from a random guy writing an article.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I think this is an even better link, since it's not from a vendor of Nitrogen:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Selling-Ni...-Air?&id=38142
It's not a nitrogen or nitrogen generator vendor, but they're certainly selling the idea of nitrogen-filled tires--the title is "Selling Nitrogen In Tires - Is It All A Lot Of Hot Air?". This article refers to pure nitrogen, but, as the whynitrofill page says, you're only getting 95% nitrogen.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Slowride
It's not a nitrogen or nitrogen generator vendor, but they're certainly selling the idea of nitrogen-filled tires--the title is "Selling Nitrogen In Tires - Is It All A Lot Of Hot Air?". This article refers to pure nitrogen, but, as the whynitrofill page says, you're only getting 95% nitrogen.
ok well a 5% difference is not going to whip out all the BENEFITS of NitroFill
Old Jan 2, 2007, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Interesting...So where do you go for such a thing?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Getting rid of the pressure fluctuation would be nice ... but I don't know about paying for pressurized air ...
Old Jan 2, 2007, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Slowride, if you read the link above, it says that the good stuff is 95%,
Warrtalon, I read the article. It doesn't say that.

that it has no moisture,
Just like dry air...

it seeps out 1/3 the rate of regular air,
If it's written in an Internet article, it must be true. I don't find my tires losing measurable pressure due to diffusion. Do you? If so, a 95% nitrogen fill might help a little, once the 5% oxygen diffuses out.

and it has all those life-extending properties due to running cooler.
The life-extending properties of pure nitrogen are primarily due to its chemical inertness. I've never seen an explanation or evidence of the claim that N2-filled tires run cooler, and I have no idea if the effect, if it's real, is significant for 95% N2.

There's a lot more, too, if you read the articles. One is from a vendor, but the other is from a random guy writing an article.
As I said, I did read the article. I'm just not convinced, based on what I know, and what the article says. And "a random guy writing an article" isn't high on my list of credible sources. This random guy has no expertise in the field:

JAMES C. BURCHILL is a 20-year veteran entrepreneur and information technology executive who now provides strategic marketing consulting services to a select group of clients.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Big Dube
ok well a 5% difference is not going to whip out all the BENEFITS of NitroFill
No, but if the benefits that are important to you require pure nitrogen, then 5% oxygen will wipe them out.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think this is an even better link, since it's not from a vendor of Nitrogen:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Selling-Ni...-Air?&id=38142
Seems like the major benefit was longer lasting tires.... as in the rubber itself lasts longer.... with zero effect on tread life. So, if you are one of the people who stores your EVO in the winter, and only drive it on weekends then N2 fill of the tires would be a good idea, because you may have the same tires on your car for the next 8 to 10 years. For anyone who drives a car on a regular basis N2 fill is a waste of money because the rubber in the tire body will outlast the tread by a large amount of time. And DRY air has most of the benefits of N2 other than the actually rubber degradation over a long period of time.

Keith
Old Jan 2, 2007, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know anything about it. I was just providing articles as opposed to giving my opinion without any supporting evidence like Slowride. I don't use Nitrogen and don't plan on it, so I have no dog in this fight, but it would be nice if Slowride would post his evidence and supporting data rather than trying to fight it so hard with his own words.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know anything about it.
I do. I studied chemical engineering long enough to take physical chemistry, which is the field that covers this stuff. I've also done quite a bit of net research on nitrogen fill--beyond the marketing hype.

I was just providing articles as opposed to giving my opinion without any supporting evidence like Slowride.
You posted a single link to a marketing-oriented article. If you or anyone else wants to take issue with anything I've said in this or any other thread, feel free. I'm not going to feel compelled to include supporting evidence for everything I say in advance--that's ridiculous.

I don't use Nitrogen and don't plan on it, so I have no dog in this fight, but it would be nice if Slowride would post his evidence and supporting data rather than trying to fight it so hard with his own words.
I don't have a dog in this fight, either. I just hate to see people mindlessly parroting and falling for marketing claims. If someone wants to spend $20 for nitrogen filled tires, that's their decision.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Great 95-100% stops the oxidization fatigue on the inside of the tire, what about the oxygen on the outside of the tire?

It runs cooler. True, but siping a tire makes it run cooler also. Tires (passenger, non race tires) usually gain only a max of 5 psi on a hot day under constant speed at proper inflation. For my reference work on that I refer to the fact I have worked selling and installing tires for the last 7 years.

Seeps at a slower rate. This is great it really is. So the fact that most tires with good valve stems (assuming this is done at the time of tire purchase and not after) will lose about 1 lb a month of daily driving. My Proxes street tires with new stems lose 1 lb every 3 months. Most of that loss is me checking the air every month and when I align it I am sure.

I am not saying it doesnt have some benefits, but for 99.5% of users they are better off saving their 20 bux for something else. Race cars where consistency is king would benefit, but I doubt Granny driving to and from church on sunday is going to really see a benefit...honestly.

John
Old Jan 2, 2007, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

The system we use at my work claims to put 98% nitrogen in the tires since it inflates the tires, then deflates them and then inflates the tires again. The main benefit is the pressure staying the same throughout the year instead of dropping in the winter.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

im going to put nos in my tires- has a lot of benefit- if your bottle gets low....you know the rest, and if you go to the dentist.......
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

5 dollars a tire?

why not.

Quick Reply: Got nitro fill today!